June 1, 2010

Must-have Tools for Writers

How many of us want tools to make our writing easier? I’m the first to raise my hand and jump in line. Like many of you out there, I want to work smarter not harder! There are quite a few tools on the internet to help with any tasks. Here are a few of my favorites:
1.) You’re writing a historical romance and you’re stuck for a word in a certain language. Fear no more, all you need to so is pull up Google and type in English to French translation and voila! There’s a great place to start: http://webtranslation.paralink.com/
2.) If it’s one of those pesky books where your character must speak with a Scottish dialect and you can’t figure out how to write the dialogue. Do the same with any search again and voila! (can’t you tell I love this word!) you get a great result such as Wikipedia http://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Scots-English-Scots_dictionar  OR http://tinyurl.com/ocuql
For the beginners out there, I do have a few goodies to share. First, I must say hats off to Karen Wiesner for writing such a fantastic book entitled FIRST DRAFT IN 30 DAYS. This book should be a bible for any beginning writer. Karen walks you through each area step by step and teaches you how to write a best selling novel. I will testify that you can actually write a best seller in 30 days because I have using her methods and they DO WORK. Her follow up—FROM FIRST DRAFT TO FINISHED NOVEL is another phenomenal book because it’s the next chapter (pardon the pun!) to FIRST DRAFT. Both of my copies are so worn and ragged, they’re barely recognizable! I may have to get 2 new copies! Here’s the link to the FIRST DRAFT site: http://www.angelfire.com/stars4/kswiesner/FD2.html
Second, another amazing book is Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story that Sells by Mary Buckham and Dianna Love. It’s another great help to building that best selling story.
One bit of software that I do recommend to you is called WriteItNow Novel writing software. It has its own built in processor if you don’t have Word or any other word processing software. There’s a lot of great build in’s like Story Board and Notecards. A great piece of software.
Now I don’t want you to think I’m being paid to mention these products. I’m not. As an established writer, I know how tough it is getting started when you don’t know what you need. That’s why I’ve written this blog article for you today. When I started out, none of these books or software existed and I had to do a lot of things on my own without anyone’s guidance or help. I like passing along things I’ve learned that make my life a lot easier to someone else who may have the desire and talent but isn’t sure how to start.
To all the newbies out there that have stories inside of them dying to get out, take my advice and find out what you can from who you can. Many of us in the writing community are so willing to reach out to other authors so you should take advantage of their generosity and help to make your books better. To all the pros out there I say, you can never learn too much about what’s new.


=================
For your enjoyment -- here is an adult excerpt from the new Prince of Shadow. Happy Reading!

Prince of Shadows
Bloodborn book 2
Tracy L. Ranson
Genre: Erotic Historical, paranormal, vampires/werwolves
Buy HERE from Siren-Bookstrand

Entangled in a web of intrigue, Tatiana Gregorovich knows the only true ruler of Russia is Catherine I, a woman of strength and beauty. She ferries messages back and forth between Catherine and her generals, taking on the façade of a simpleton at court.
She fools everyone except Nicholas Wetherington, a thousand year old vampire at the Russian court. She is drawn to his smoldering, exotic looks unaware that her attraction could cost her life.

Adult Excerpt:

“See how beautiful your pussy is.” She noted the glistening flesh and swollen folds as well as the pearl-like button at the top. “Touch yourself.”
“No,” she said in a low tone.
“You can.”
She had always done that sort of thing in private and never in front of anyone, much less Nicholas.
“As your master, I command you to do so.”
Unable to resist, Tatiana reached down and touched her clitoris. Nicholas covered her hand with his own and showed her what to do. She found it erotically appetizing to watch herself in the mirror like this.
Nicholas’s tanned hands cupped her breasts, his thumbs running over her nipples as she caressed and teased herself. Short gasps of ecstasy escaped her mouth with each stroke.
“That’s it, my dear, for this will be the last night you will enjoy yourself as a virgin. Tonight, I will collect what is mine.”
A tremor started in the pit of her belly, slow and steady. Suddenly an orgasm burst through her body. Shaking, she cried out as a warmth of liquid shot out of her and down her legs.
Nicholas kissed her neck and dropped his hands.
“I will begin your lessons now.”

Hope you enjoyed the excerpt as well as the tips!
Tracy L. Ranson

2 comments:

  1. These are good tips, Tracy. I like to use yWriter which is free and quite easy. http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter.html
    The creator is a programmer who is also an author. My favorite feature is the "unique word count." I can paste in my ms and select that feature, and it will tell me exactly how many times I used each word. For example, I tend to overuse certain phrases when I'm writing, and then go back and hunt them down during the editing phase.

    This will tell me how many times I used words which are my "triggers." I tend to like just, looked, smiled, glanced, and so on. I can tell in an instant how many times those words show up. It's helped me to pinpoint exactly where to start looking when I need to reduce word count or tighten phrasing.

    A helpful article! Glad you posted for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this, Tracy. Lots of good informaitonand as Kayelle said I am going to use that yWriter tool since I have the same problem as Kayelle. though I have to admit I use Sigh, Said and grumbled alot. :)

    Raine

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...