March 15, 2012

Interview with Cover Model Jason Aaron Baca

Jason Aaron Baca
on the cover of Cybershock. 
Welcome Jason Aaron Baca! You're a published author as well as a cover model. Tell us the titles of the books, and provide buy links, please.
Journey of a Male Model (2004)
Overexposed (2007)

What are your books about?
Well my books were written in hopes of inspiring other models in the business. When I started out modeling there were never any resource books to turn to, I had to think of how to do things from the top of my head. This is why I wrote these books –


What made you decide to write your own book?
I was at my wits end when it came to finding a good resource so I was like You know, I'm going to make my own book for others. Surely there's got to be other frustrated models like me out there.

What advice do you have for authors, based on your own experience in writing?
Well I don't consider myself an author; these books were me having fun. The real authors are the ones that I'm on the covers of as a model. They are the ones to be asking those kinds of questions to.

Jason Aaron Baca
on Lisa Renee Jones' book Michael
What advice do you have for models, based on your own experience as a model?
To keep at it. If you aren't getting booked then there are still things you can be doing to promote yourself in the mean time.

As a cover model, it must take a great deal of discipline to stay in good physical condition. How strict are you with your eating/exercising when you're not preparing for a photo shoot?
Yes you are right! It takes extreme discipline with all this. Every day is a whole new mountain to climb and there are mornings that I wake up and say screw it, I'm going to eat French toast with butter and blueberry syrup. But then I stop myself and recognize my goals. So I end up eating a protein bar instead.

As for the exercising, yes, I exercise nearly every day. Even on the day off for the week I still find myself doing some sort of physical activity whether it be biking, hiking, or gardening. I just can't seem to sit still.

Do you have a particular type of program that you use to keep in shape? (Weights, swimming, running, etc.)
Jason- Yes I do. I perform a rigorous workout routine in the morning for 1 full hour. I use weights mainly but also do cardio on the Stairmaster. I do not end my workout until a full hour is completed in the gym. So if I had finished with my weight lifting early, then I just keep going. I do more of my weak point training.

Jason Aaron Baca
Some people have a five-year plan, but what do you see yourself doing twenty years from now?
Jason- I don't think like that. I concentrate on one thing at a time. Yes I invest in stocks and look to the future for that kind of thing, but when it comes to career goals, I do one thing only. When my mind begins to shift, then I can decide what I'll be doing then. This keeps me focused on my book cover goals and aspirations.

When you feel like quitting (and don't we all at some point?) what do you tell yourself to keep going?
I just put the Karate Kid theme song in my head "You're the best around, nothings gonna ever keep you down" And if I see a grey hair pop up on my head…. I pluck it!

Tell us about your social media habits. Which sites do you prefer?
Well I don't have a Facebook acct nor a Myspace. I have my regular website
http://jasonaaronbaca.deviantart.com as well as this stock resource site that independent authors go to purchase photos for their covers of me - http://www.theauthorsredroom.com/stock-photography/jason-baca/

A Jessica Deuck cover with Jason
What is your worst habit?
That is a tough question… because when it's you… You never know you have a bad habit. You think that you're all good… Probably that I obsess a little about my skin. But I believe in taking care of myself so I will not change.

Do you have a charity or organization that you support?
I would support any charity that deals with animal cruelty. I am an animal lover.

How do you respond to negative people?
I don't. I know that the only input that gets allowed into my brain is positive feedback. The negative stuff just bounces off, I don't understand it, nor do I attempt to. There have been a lot that have come at me but I just get confused on what they are getting at and move on.

What's the best way to say no?
Just say No!

A biography has been written about you. What do you think the title would be in six words or less?
It would say, How Can We Stop Him?

What is the craziest thing you did as a kid?
Well my friends and I all were at a waterfall that was covered in moss. It was a 50yrd drop to the bottom. We didn't know how deep the water was at the bottom but I said I'll do it and slid down the waterfall… Lucky for me, it was very deep… Turned out to be a regular spot we'd slide down.
Jason with Jennifer Love Hewitt

What was your favorite subject in school?
Jason -PE of course… I was an athlete so that was my thing.

If money were not an object, where would you most like to live?
I'll get back to you on this one… :)

What song would best describe your life?
The song called "In Too Deep" by Genesis and at other times "Land Of Confusion" also by Genesis. Of course there are different times in a person's life though when different songs would describe best.

If you were a tool, what would people use you to do?
I'd be a jackhammer… And would be used to break through to people's minds so they understand their goals clearer.

Picture yourself as a store. Considering your personality and lifestyle, what type of products would be sold there?
They'd come to me for herbal essence, scrubs, intensive skin therapy treatments, spa's exfoliants as well as plenty of moisturizers and anti-wrinkle crèmes to choose from.
Jason on Legacy Found

If you came with a warning label, what would it say?
haha… it would have to say "Warning, do not attempt to open this package without protective wear. May explode upon opening"


READER REQUESTED QUESTIONS
When you're posing as a particular type of character for a book, how do psych yourself to "be the hero" you are portraying?
Jason- Well I don't actually psych myself up but I do get physically prepared. I take a shower and put on an ice pack so that if my face is puffy, it helps with that. I also use a variety of deep pore cleanser scrubs in the shower as well as moisturizing body washes. I always exfoliate to rid my body of any dead skin. I always let my facial hair grow a few days before a shoot and then the day of, shave using a Mach Triple Action Hydrating Razor for a clean close shave. Shaving also exfoliates my face.

After the shower I usually put on an anti aging eye balm put out by L'Oreal along with Clinique's facial moisturizer. Then final moisturizer after that. This all puts me into character for the day's shoot.

Which character that you portrayed did you identify with most? Why that hero?
I understood Michael in Legend of Michael by Lisa Renee Jones. Seems his character is an odd ball, interesting and unique… Which describes me to a T.

Jason on Dark Warriors
What is the modeling industry like? Is it competitive and cut throat, or cooperative and friendly?
Yes it is cut throat when you are just starting out. I have over 80 covers under my belt now though and am known by quite a few so its much easier for me to do this stuff then it was trying to get in.

Have you noticed an increase in demand for your covers with launch of ereaders?
Yes I have! 10 fold. It is excellent to be wanted and used like this.

Do you play Angry Birds? If so, what is it about the game that you like? If not, why not?
Never heard of it or know what an angry bird is.

Boxers, briefs, or commando? (yes, I was asked to ask you this) ^_^
Briefs… Because I like knowing where I am or where I'm going at all times.

If a publisher wants to use you for a cover, do you have an agent they can contact? If so, is there a link online?
Yes, they'd contact Halvorson Model Mgmt. http://www.hmmodels.com/model.asp?modelID=395
Jason on Her Only Hope

Please Fill in the Blanks

I love pizza with anchovies, linguica, and a side of blue cheese.

I'm always ready for the next big cover to be on.

When I'm alone, I imagine myself on a sandy beach in Maui in the warm summer with sea turtles swimming by in the bright blue ocean.

You'd never be able to tell, but I am a very down to earth kind of guy

If I had a halo it would be in heaven.

If I could head on over to the Bahamas right now I'd try wind surfing.
                                                                                                                  
I can never snow ski because I screwed up back and was traumatized as a kid when I kept falling down in front of everyone.

Covers Where I Appear

They are all listed here – http://www.romancetreasure.com/jasonbaca.html

Find Me Here

20 comments:

  1. Provocative questions providing great insight! Of course, your guest is sexy and gorgeous but down to earth and well balanced as well.

    Thank you Kayelle, for bringing Jason into our particular writing world. I know there's a buzz going on about this interview and after learning what I have, well...count me in as a fan. I'm certainly going to check out a cover opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to meet the man behind the body.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! I'm very fortunate to have Jason on one of my covers. It's one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was one of the best interview i have read to date. Excellent. It has made me curious. See it worked! Thank you..Leslie Stockton :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can identify with being a skiing accident waiting to happen. I tried and tried, but never learned to love it.

    Great interview! Nice to get a look into a whole different world with different challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for being my guest today, Jason. Looks like you have a following! ^_^

    Karen, thanks for coming by. See? Now you know where to get a great cover!

    Greta, ditto and thumbs up.

    Leslie, glad you enjoyed it -- and that my ploy worked. You're curious. ^_^

    Ashlyn, me too. My first ski experience was my last. If I'd had a set that I could have sat on, I might've been a champ. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning Ladies,

    I want to thank all of you for these fabulous compliments! It is nice to get this feedback as it keeps the fire burning.. I'm glad to know that I've officially gotten your attention out there :)
    Karen - Thank you! I strive to be as down to earth as possible!

    N.J.- Can't wait to be on your next novel..

    Leslie- I'm glad you enjoyed my interview as I enjoyed doing it... :)

    Ashlyn - Yea skiing can be no fun for some of us huh.. But I'm sure there is a lot more things to do out there then ski anyways right?

    Greta - I'm glad you checked in and read the interview..

    Jason Aaron Baca

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so thrilled when I saw the cover reveal for Cybershock. It is one of my favorite covers of all time. Jason is brilliant. And while I (of course) appreciate all the hard work he puts into staying in perfect physical condition, I have to say I also greatly appreciate the intensity and emotion he captures with his face and the way he poses. I have to thank him for bringing our characters to life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. *waves to Jason* Thanks for being here and keeping up with us. ^_^

    Barbara, I agree with that. Intensity is what makes for a strong performance. Jason manages to put emotion into his images - without overacting. That's talent + gift. Thanks for coming over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most interesting interview and beautiful covers! Cybershock is an awesome cover and it is interesting to see the different poses. I am definitely going to notice more when I look at covers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Pauline. I like Cybershock too. I hadn't heard of the book until Jason sent me the image along with his interview, but the minute I saw it -- it went on my TBB list! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was thrilled to have a cover featuring Jason and there is another cover that I will probably be purchasing, as well because I love the image and the feel of intimacy it conveys. That was what drew me to the one for Her Only Hope.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Maria. Thanks for coming over. That is a very touching cover. I was drawn to it right away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always interesting to "meet" the guy behind my cover.

    Autumn Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for popping in, Dawn. I'm glad you found time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Jason,
    Great to see you are making the rounds and getting yourself out there to introduce yourself to us all. Thanks for the great interview Kayelle.
    Best,
    Christine London
    christinelondon "dot" com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for coming by, Christine. You're welcome. Jason was a trooper for answering them all. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Christine,
    I sure am... and having fun I might add... I try to not make things dull in my interviews :)

    Maria,
    Thank you for your kind words, I too loved that cover... and I look forward to seeng the new cover soon! It should be incredible esp. coming from that cover artist...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great interview. Really interesting to get this perspective on the industry. And a great endorsement for some of those moisturizers, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey, Anonymous - I know that's you, Jason. Thanks for stopping back by the blog. :)

    Allie, yeah, I made notes to check those moisturizers out too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...