September 24, 2010

Interview with Author Elizabeth Lucas-Taylor

We're interviewing today with author Elizabeth Lucas-Taylor. She writes fiction as well as non-fiction and can be an author's best friend when it comes to knowing how to promote.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS (2002) romantic intrigue (out of print) (used copy) or (signed Author copies available)
REFLECTIONS & DREAMS (2000) eBook poetry (out of Print)
SOURDOUGH & MORE (2008) eCookbook (out of print)(Author CD available only)
poems to read...On A Dark Stormy Night (2008) ePoetry (out of print)(Author CD available only)
MARKETING YOURSELF AS A FREELANCE WRITER (2008) eBook non-fiction (out of print)(Author CD available only)

Contributed to:
YOU THE HEALER  by Jose Silva/Robert B. Stone Ph.D.
SALES POWER by Jose Silva/Ed Bernd;
THE SILVA METHOD FOR BUSINESS MANAGERS by Silva/Stone, Ph.D (out of print)(hard to find)

Titles Coming Soon
Dangerous Conspiracy

Where to find you

Tell us about your latest book.
My newest novel is titled Dangerous Conspiracy, a romantic intrigue. My heroine, Lilly D'Aggelos, is a famous model—and an undercover DEA agent. Her newest assignment is at the world famous Greek fashion house, Simera. Simera is under cyber attack by the leader of a ruthless drug cartel. It isn't until Lilly is on Greek soil with her finger on the elevator button to carry her to the Simera's corporate offices that she discovers the reclusive owner of Simera is none other than ex-fiancĂ©, Dmitri Aleksandros. A dozen years earlier, a young and naive Lilly fled Greece in humiliation when she discovered her fiancĂ© in bed with her best friend. Past differences aside, Lilly and Dmitri join forces and uncover the identity of the twisted mind stalking Dmitri, a person who will stop at nothing to see them both dead.

What did you enjoy most about writing this book?
I most enjoyed the research about Greece, her history and people. Every school kid is taught something about Greece's past and her wondrous antiquities, but her modern day problems are overwhelming. Finding out about the drug trade so prevalent all over the world was an eye opener, and how Greece is a conduit for illicit drugs and has been for centuries. The research led me in so many different directions. It was a shocker to find out the sums of money involved in drug transactions, and the way that international banking facilitates the drug trade.

Do you live in the mountains, desert, forest, lakeshore, city, or _____?
I live in the foothills of the Rincon Mountains in Tucson, the Sonoran Desert, not far from the edge of the Sahuaro National Forest. The city of Tucson sits in an ancient caldera. During Monsoon, my husband likes to remind me that Tucson can be underwater and we will be high and dry. I remind him we are living in a volcano and volcanoes are known to fill with water.

What genres and authors would we find you reading when taking a break from your own writing?
I have so many and love them all. I read many different genres from Sci-fi to cozies. Thrillers and mysteries are probably my favorite with a vampire thrown in here and there. After reading Arthur C. Clark, I fell in love with science fiction. I am also a fan of biographies and political commentary. I've even been known to read some YA along the way. My very favorite authors are Karen Moning, Christine Feehan and Christina Skye. Not a bad book among them. Then there is Coulter, Rice, Medeiros, Dara Joy…the list goes on, each unique in their own way. And, I am continually finding new authors to follow.

When writing your description of your hero/ine what feature do you start with? Eyes, age, hair color, personality, name, etc?
My hero has to have an appealing name, but not too corny. I use a hunky movie star or celebrity in my mind's eye to begin the process. That hero of mine has to have drop dead sex appeal, a sense of humor and vulnerability. He needs to be someone I would like to get MY hands on as well as my heroine.

If I was a first time reader of your books, which one would you recommend I start with and why?
I can better answer that question when I have a string of novels after my name. But I find with my favorite authors, if I read a later work in their career, I'm inclined to search out their earlier works. And if I pick a later work in a series, I am sure to go looking for the prequels and sequels. I don't think it matters in what order you read unless you are obsessive compulsive. The fun of reading out of order is when you have collected all the books in a series, you begin at the beginning and reread and enjoy the body of work even more. I do love authors who thread memorable characters throughout other books. It is a smart marketing technique…you go searching for those back titles.

What do you hope readers take with them after reading one of your stories?
Every writer brings a different twist, a unique use of language and viewpoint to their work. I would hope a reader takes away a little bit of history and a sense of being entertained from my work—a feeling of excitement. Artists paint the world as they see it. Writers created the world as they want it.

A biography has been written about you. What do you think the title would be (in six words or less)?
Writer of dangerous, savvy, sensuous intrigue.

What song would best describe your life?
What A Wonderful World. ('I Did It My Way' works, too.)
Everyone experiences some adversity in their life, some life threatening, and I've certainly had my share. Those opportunities and challenges make us who we are, works in progress.

If you were a tool, what would people use you to do?
I would like to think of myself as a facilitator, someone who is a link to helping a person turn on to their innate creativity. I'd like to be the one to enable, to give even the tiniest tidbit of information or spark, to help a person get to the next point of light. I would like to be considered a cheerleader of the human condition. I believe we all have greatness inside ourselves and we should exercise that greatness. So much potential is lost because the spark hasn't been ignited. That's what teachers are here to do—ignite that special something in us that makes us want to GO and BE, to WANT the best for ourselves, to reach out and DO.

You can erase one experience from your past. What will it be?
If I could begin again, I would leave my hometown earlier to spread my wings. I regret that I did not. I lived at home. I went to college in my hometown. I was caught up in what my family expected of me, not what I yearned so passionately to do. My advice to any young person is to move away from where you've been raised for a couple of years. Spread your wings and reach for what may seem the impossible. Absorb everything around you.  "Live, Miss Gooch, Live!" See a bit of the world. That way, if you decide to move back to your hometown, it is a choice, not a life sentence that you feel you cannot extricate yourself from. That one thing would have changed much in my life, though I finally did get to where I belonged.

If you came with a warning label, what would it say?
My warning label would read: She doesn't scare, nor will she be intimidated.

If I want to—I will. I would also like to instill that "can do" philosophy in everyone I meet.

Picture yourself as a store. Considering your personality and lifestyle, what type of products would be sold there?
I would have the finest, the best, the most unusual, handcrafted if possible, and not necessarily the most expensive in my store.

What is the one question you wish an interviewer would ask you?

Q: What would your epitaph say?
This woman worked damn hard at living.


  1. Thank you for interviewing with me Elizabeth. I enjoyed getting to knoww you better!

  2. you go, leave parts of your insights and soul with us cause it will do us good.
    richard poor

  3. Well LIZ ... after 12 days, I finally got here!

    KAY - this Gal was new to me in 2003, when I joined Authors Den, and started posting there. In short time, because of her feedback, instruction,
    and Constructive Criticism - I 'adopted' her as my personal MENTOR!

    Now, seven years later, I highly regard her as FRIEND! Although we do do 'converse' very often, mostly a few 'FWDS' here and there - I CARE what happens to her! This interview, I hope, will be a 'Stepping Stone' to further Great Achievements.

    About five years ago, Elizabeth (whom I always call LIZ) was kind enough to send me a complete Course which she taught at the time, about Personal Goal Setting - and - she sent it for FREE! To this day, each evening, as I do my intertwined 'Prayers' and AFFIRMATIONS - I still use the Yoga Breathing, and VISUALIZATION Techniques which she taught me!

    I await her New Novel with 'Baited Breath!' WHY? Because "Unfinished Business' was SUPERB! When I wrote a Review of said book, I felt she was comparable to a Female Ian Fleming!

    Move Over, BOND - LIZ IS HERE!

    Tom Hyland - HUGZ!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...