December 2, 2011

An Interview with Xandra James

Reluctant Revenge
by Xandra James
Welcome, Xandra! Tell us about your latest book, including its genre. Does it cross over to other genres? If so, what are they?

First of all, thank you so much for having me here today! Right, my first book was released December first from Pink Petal Books and it's called Reluctant Revenge. It's a paranormal romance novella that, despite having otherworldly creatures, deals with something that many of us come up against - forgiveness and letting the go of the past. Of course, there's also a hot half demon, a sexy almost angel and mean, flesh eating vampires for your paranormal reading pleasure!

What do you enjoy most about writing?
I love the very first chapter of a new story when you have high hopes for it and just know this'll be the easiest story to write, ever! Then I also love the end of the first draft when you come to terms with just how hard it's been to write this story, and you go from disliking it for all the hassle it's given you, to loving it once more.

Where do you start when writing? Research, plotting, outline, or...?
I usually start with a first scene that I've seen the basics for in my head. I'm not really sure of the characters completely or their GMC, so I just write about three chapters carrying on from that initial scenario. Then I get stuck J and that's when I will go away, outline the general story and then either tweek the first chapters or re-write them completely. This seems to work for me as I don't actually come up with fully formed plots or characters, straight away. It's almost like I have to mind dump first of all, then I see what works and what doesn't and move on from there.

What did you learn from writing your first book? 
That first attempts are meant to be awful! Lol. The first book I ever completed was a category romance. Looking back, it had no structure and no real plot. I think I was just happy to finish the thing, at the time, and I haven't even looked at it since.

Would you consider self publishing?
Absolutely. Self-publishing has grown so much since I first became aware of it many, many years ago. I can't see myself (for the foreseeable future) stopping submitting work to publishers, but as another option to work alongside? Yes. As long as I do it properly and spend the time and money on doing it right.

How many hours a day to you spend writing?
Depends. If I'm on a deadline then I'll write all day, stopping only for caffeine. Other days, it feels like a drag to make myself sit there and write for 30 minutes. Although usually once I get over my procrastination (I'm the Queen of it!), I'll usually settle into writing if I'm not distracted. Writing every day is a good routine to get into, even if it's a couple of hundred words. I'm glad I usually do that now.

Is your muse demanding?
My muse loves deadlines and will very often only want to work hard when it's imminent. Of course, like me, she can be bribed with caffeine and chocolate so there's usually a compromise…

Are your stories plot or character driven?
Reluctant Revenge, if I had to put it in either category, I'd choose character driven. My second book, released in January, is more plot driven. So I don't think I specifically write a book to be a certain way – it's just a happy accident however it turns out ;)

How do you balance a life outside of writing with deadlines and writing muses?
By not doing housework (okay, that was more wishful thinking). I don't think I can say I balance it very well, I just do what needs to be done, when it needs doing. I'm not the most organized person in the world so I kinda take one day at a time.

What do you hope readers take with them after reading your work?
If they can lose themselves and escape into the story for an hour or two, then I'll be a happy writer.

List two authors we would find you reading when taking a break from your own writing.
Kerrelyn Sparks and Janet Evanovich. I love a little humour with my romance. They're my go-to authors.

Personal Info

A biography has been written about you. What do you think the title would be in six words or less?
Life, romance books, and hitting snooze.

If money were not an object, where would you most like to live?
Well if money were no object I'd live in Venice half the time and a castle in England the rest.

What song would best describe your life?
Carry On Regardless by The Beautiful South

If you came with a warning label, what would it say?
Please don't poke with a stick, she bites! 


Reluctant Revenge from Pink Petal Books, released December 1, 2011
Nash was bound to Sienna completely – by a blood connection and a deep desire. An Enforcer for the Supranormal community, he was obligated to protect his sexy assignment, despite her family devastating his world.
After being betrayed, Sienna falls into the arms of her surly protector; a demon with a secret of his own. But can she face her destiny knowing she's more dangerous than those Nash was protecting her from?

Fill in the Blanks

I love pizza with a can of pepsi.
I'm always ready for  chocolate.
When I'm alone, I am always on my laptop.
You'd never be able to tell, but I hate celery.
If I had a halo it would be crooked and dusty.

Books Coming Soon

Shadow Justice from Siren Publishing, coming January 2012.


Check out my website for details of giveaways and blog hops I'm involved in over the next couple of months.

Find Me Here

Blog: as above and


  1. Thanks so much for hosting me here today! I loved answering you questions :)

  2. Feel like I'm stalking you Xandra, lol. Great interview! :-D

  3. Wonderful interview. I can't wait to read your story Xandra. :)

  4. LOL, Doris. I'm proud that you're my first ever stalker! Thanks for commenting x

  5. Thanks for stopping by and keeping me company, Danielle ;) x

  6. Great interview, Xandra. What a great title for a biography.
    Life, romance books, and hitting snooze.
    I'd read that. Congratulations on your new book. :o))

  7. LOL, thanks Kiru! It seems to be the story of my existence right now, ;)

    I appreciate you stopping by x

  8. Loved the interview Xandra! Nice to meet you!

  9. Thank you, Dahlia. And it's great to meet you too! Thanks for stopping by :)

  10. Awesome spot! I really like this new author. I can't wait to see her grow.
    Aka: Bonnie Lea Elliott from RNJ

  11. Ah, you're so sweet, Leanore! I appreciate you stopping by :) x


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...