March 23, 2012

Sabrina Pandora Interview #Outlantacon

Sabrina Pandora.
I'm turning over the blog to our Outlantcon guest, the amazing Sabrina Pandora. She is one fun person, and I enjoyed getting to meet her at the con last year.

Hello there! I'm Sabrina Pandora, an Atlanta-based comedienne, author, columnist, emcee personality and party girl. I'm a big girl with a deep voice who spends a lot of time wisecracking around the periphery of a number of the 'scenes' who always has a number of irons in the fire. I live in the south side of Atlanta with my partner Wendie and our two daschunds, Hansel and Gretel.

What made you decide to become an Outlantacon guest?
I was invited to participate in the game shows by Edward Degruy Darren, Charles and Scott because they wanted pseudo-celebrities to come and wisecrack and keep those games lively, and they immediately thought of me. I've been involved to some degree ever since, and I keep coming back year after year, staggering in with a cocktail in my hand slurring my words and asking "Heyyyy, where ya want me ta be? >hic!<"

How did you hear about Outlantacon?
Through the Outworlders, Atlanta's gay gaming community. I actually never show up for any of the fun activities that they sponsor throughout the year, but this is one that I never pass up.

What panel are you looking forward to the most?
I think I am on a Star Trek panel this year? I'm not positive… whatever panel that I am expected to be sitting in on and running my mouth. I love a microphone and a crowd…

Do you play role playing games? Which ones?
I do, actually! I am of course a veteran AD&D player, having been through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd edition and still having character folders from thirty years ago sitting on my shelves and painted miniatures of long-retired characters proudly on display on my desk. I've played so many beer and pretzel games that I've lost track, and long ago I was instrumental in creating Superbabes: The Femforce RPG. Today I run a tabletop DC Adventures game set on Earth 24.

Oh, and I avoid the MMORPG games- I spent about 2 years in Everquest, and about 5 years on City of Heroes. These days I figured out that I have two choices, given my addict's mindset- either I can be in a relationship or I can be a part of an online MMORPG. I, uh, chose the relationship…

The Public Can Find Me Here

Website: Down for maintainence, but I am preparing to launch
Blog: I pretty much maintain my blog on Facebook anymore, but I did maintain a blog for many years on LiveJournal as Sabrina Pandora

What new project are you working on now?
I have recently created a story and decided to launch my own webcomic. I have a deep and abiding passion for comic books and superheroes, and in the modern day you no longer need to rely upon selling your idea to a publisher or getting established in the field so that someone will take a chance on your idea. Instead, if you can find a way to illustrate it, you can self-publish and promote on the web and circumvent distribution and printing entirely. We can be our own publishers, and for the intellectual properties game this is a very exciting time to be alive. We're at the border of a very new and exciting frontier, and I very much want to be a part of that.

Sabrina Pandora
So the script is with the artist right now, and as soon as I have a sufficient backlog of pages to insure that there won't be an interruption in the publishing schedule in case of emergency or setback (I hate webcomics who miss updates- you really can't call yourself a professional if you fall down on the job regularly, and you lose readership that way) I'll have the website set up and Giant Girl Adventures will be off and running!

How do you come up with ideas?
Inspiration can come from a number of places, but really my best inspiration has always been RPGs. By creating a playable character, I inevitably examine that person from any number of angles, and that tends to lend itself to crafting a world around that character and a cast that lends itself to fun and interesting storytelling. So that's my process in a nutshell- create an alter ego and watch them take on a life of their own.

What is the most important thing you do for your career?
Advertise. Right now I am also in the process of starting a salon here in Atlanta, and while marketing will be key to its success, advertising to let people know that there is something new and exciting that they need to come and try is easily the most important thing I can recommend. I can craft the most brilliant idea on Earth, but if no one knows about it, it isn't going to do anyone any good.

What do you enjoy most about life?
To dwive my enemies befoah me and hear the lamentations of de wimmins? I'm actually fond of cosplay, dressing up and playing the fool at parties and events, collecting comics and action figures, writing, performing… heck, I just enjoy most things in life. I have a wonderful and supportive partner, a home, little furry children, my health, a great rack… what's not to enjoy?

How do you balance life with deadlines and work?
Prioritize. I write when I can, I spend time with Wendie when I can, I play when I can, and I work around everything else. If you keep perspective on everything then managing it tends to be pretty easy I've found.

What is the craziest thing you did as a kid?
That list is just too darn long to narrow down… I was a wild child and a misfit, so I did a LOT of crazy things.

If you could give the younger version of yourself advice what would it be?
Hang in there, kid. You can make your dreams come true if you believe they are possible, and if you have the will to see them through!

Do you think keeping secrets is good or bad?
It depends on the secret. If it will cause a worse consequence then I'd say it is best to let it out… otherwise don't enter into a confidence if you aren't willing to maintain it.

List two authors we would find you reading.
Chuck Pahluniak and Ryan Sohmner.

A biography has been written about you. What do you think the title would be in six words or less?
"Sabrina Pandora: Super, thanks for asking!"

How do you respond to negative people?
With negativity and anger, usually. I'm particularly susceptible to being negative myself, so when people are negative to me, I tend to find my well of good feelings pretty dry and I have a tendency to lash out. I would prefer it otherwise, but that's where I am these days. Hopefully by this time next year things will be different!

What's the best way to say no?
Plainly, clearly and with emphasis relative to the situation. "Are you a man?" ">sigh< No." "Hey, you wanna engage in this amazingly stupid idea?" "NO." "Will it always be this bad?" "Oh sweety… no. No, it won't… it'll get better."

If money were not an object, where would you most like to live?
I am an urbanite, so I prefer the city living to be certain. A better question would be where I would maintain a getaway, and that would be on the Maldives. Underwater bedroom in crystal clear waters and perfect beaches? Count me in!

What song would best describe your life?
"Satisfaction Guaranteed by The Firm"

Mystery surrounds me, and I wonder where I'm goin
There's a cloud above me and it seems to hide the way.
I'm goin straight ahead, cuz it's the only way I know.
I'm gonna leave the past, and live just for today!

If you were a tool, what would people use you to do?
I would be a torque wrench. People would use me to apply force to things that could not be moved without mechanical advantage, and I would bring great force to bear to yield amazing results!

Picture yourself as a store. Considering your personality and lifestyle, what type of products would be sold there?
Oh, no question. I would be a comic book store, selling comics, comics merchandise, t-shirts, posters, graphic novels, game books, videos and action figures galore!

As a child, what was your favorite thing about school?
The final bell- I was a social misfit and did not blend well with my peer group, and I was bored by scholastics, so I generally just wanted to be anywhere else.

Tell us an embarrassing story that has to do with a pet. If you have no pets, a story about a significant other will do. ^_^
I had a pet ferret once that I thought was being affectionate until it pierced my nose by biting me. Not so funny at the time but funny now…

If you came with a warning label, what would it say?
Caution: contents may be caustic. Do not handle without proper preparation and protective gear.

Why do you write?
I write to express myself and create worlds with my words… sometimes a world within this one that is just a little better place, to my eye, than the one that currently exists. And sometimes to craft a flight of fancy and build a world that is far different than this one, but one that I find amazing. Because what we cannot dream, we cannot achieve… but by dreaming, we all of us, in our own way, shape reality.

Please fill in the blanks

I love pizza with extra cheese and sausage!
I'm always ready for lunch!
When I'm alone, I daydream and create within my own mind.
You'd never be able to tell, but I sing Elvis songs like a Vegas lounge singer.
Superwoman Sabrina Pandora
If I had a halo it would be black light and a bit askew
If I could have any one superpower I'd be the Tony Stark power-super invention. Why limit yourself to one thing when you could invent any device you wanted that could duplicate any other power?
I can never lose weight because I love food too much and I am far too lazy to exercise effectively.

Upcoming Projects

Giant Girl Adventures
Graduating from beauty school
Lose 30 pounds
Knock out a hell of a costume lineup this year for convention season
Build a massive credit rating


  1. Welcome Sabrina! I'm glad you're here today.

  2. So, can you tell us a bit about your upcoming webcomic? And as the creator of Giant Girl Adventures, why would you want to lose 30 pounds?

  3. Paul, I'm glad you came over. :) That's a good question! Sabrina is a beautiful, full figured woman.

    Sabrina, it took me about 4 years to reduce my weight by over 80 lbs, and it wasn't easy. (I don't like to say "lost" because it was on purpose.) Over Christmas, I gained a few, and now I'm back to being more disciplined again. Shedding ten pounds can mean a dress size -- and for me, shedding weight meant I was able to stop using blood pressure meds, then go off cholesterol meds, and eventually stop using everything I'd had to take. I am still not where I want to be, but I'm healthier and have more energy. So you go, girl. ;) More power to you! And a massive credit rating... oooh, now that is something that would be really awesome to have! I need more income and less outgo. Heh. Just the opposite of food and weight. There's irony for you. LOL

  4. Thanks for the encouragement Kayelle! I'll get it done, I'm confident. It is more for practicality than anything else- I want to fit back into more of my clothes.

    As for goliaduprising's question, sure! Giant Girl is a sexy action adventure series that focuses on one Veronica "Ronni" Kane, a third generation legacy heir to superpowers that has already led an interesting life by the time we encounter her. She works as a Hollywood stuntwoman, an international treasure hunter, a bounty hunter and sometimes she even saves the world= but that's not really her thing.

    Traveling with her best friend Stanley, aja 64 Bit, Giant Girl travels the glove seeking adventure, treasure and running from herself and her problems just as much as she creates new ones for herself. She's larger than life, glamorous and brilliant, but all too human in truth. No invincible and flawless heroine, she is quite real and human, and hopefully in bringing her adventures to life, I will be crafting an adventure yarn that will captivate and enthrall, while still giving us a peek into elements that we can all relate to.

    The first two scripts are in with an artist now, and there are short stories currently with other artists, as well as a miniseries that I am writing as we speak. The website is under construction, and I will be promoting it hard as soon as it all comes together and can be seen by the public. In the meanwhile, you can catch a sneak peek at her character reference design sheet:

  5. Ronni is very pretty! A femme fatale. ;) This looks like a good story. I hope you'll come back and share more of it with us when it's out.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...