April 3, 2012

Interview with Babette James

Clear As Day. 
Babette, welcome to Romance Lives Forever. Please tell us about your latest book, including its genre. Does it cross over to other genres? If so, what are they?
My debut, Clear As Day, is a spicy contemporary romance coming from The Wild Rose Press. The story began its life as a short story I wrote back in college, and never found a home for, but loved too much to give up on over the years. I decided to play with rewriting the story and was delighted to see it bloom into life as the sweet and sexy full-length novel it is now. It’s been exciting (and not a little nerve-wracking) preparing for the upcoming release on April 4, but holding my first book in my hands has been an awesome experience and I was thrilled to learn recently Clear As Day received a 4 1/2 stars scorcher review from the Romantic Times Book Reviews.
To those around her, artist Kay Browning seems a happy free-spirit. However, she hides the pain she carries from her past from everyone. For her, love is only true in fairytales and friendship is all she will allow. She believes she is content with the quiet, organized life she’s made for herself and the peaceful, friends-with-benefits relationship with photographer Nate Quinn.
Nate’s wanderlust keeps him abroad most of the year, and that very absence has helped make him the one man who’s been able to get past Kay’s wary heart. However, despite his love of travel and adventure, Nate longs for commitment and settling down. He believes love is forever and Kay is his forever. Naturally, this leads to a few problems.
What do you enjoy most about writing?
I enjoy the surprises of storytelling. I enjoy seeing a story grow out of a little idea, plots twist and turn, expand and shift, how one story can spawn into a series, and how the characters grow and reveal their lives and find their happily ever after.
Where do you start when writing? Research, plotting, outline, or...?
I start with a scene, a little setting, a character, and two questions: why and what happens next? I do eventually create an outline as I go deeper into the story to keep track of scenes and start to build the synopsis, but the story comes first and outline second.
What did you learn from writing your first book? 
As I worked on Clear As Day, I learned a great deal about rewriting and editing to tell a better story. And now that the book is being released, I also learned I hadn’t really comprehended the amount of time and energy promotion can consume or how much conflicting advice is out there on what to do or not do. I’m not an extrovert and making myself active in social networks and other venues to “sell” myself is not as easy as I would like it to be, so I would have liked to have done far more planning and networking “before” so it wouldn’t feel so awkward and stressful now.
Are your stories plot or character driven?
Definitely character driven. Being a pantser, I’m led through the story by my character’s interactions. The only plot goal I have in the beginning is that my hero and heroine will reach their happily ever after at the end and the story then grows like Topsy in every direction until I discover how it all works out. I’m often as surprised as my characters are along the way. Plotting would be much more efficient, I’m sure, but I’ve given into the fact my mind doesn’t work that way and now I enjoy the unexpected on the journey to The End.
How do you balance a life outside of writing with deadlines and writing muses?
Lol I’ll let you know if I ever figure it out.
What is the craziest thing you did as a kid, and would it ever end up in a book?
I was far from a wild and crazy kid, but here’s two of my more adventuresome moments: played with a tiger in my front yard (he was someone’s pet) and got thrown off a runaway horse (ouch!). As for any crazy kid moments ending up in a book? Well, if it works for the story, it’s in.
What do you hope readers take with them after reading your work?
I hope they will enjoy Nate and Kay’s story and come to love them and their circle of friends as much I do.
List two authors we would find you reading when taking a break from your own writing.
It’s not easy narrowing it down to two, but at the moment, I’m reading Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward and also rereading Toni Blake’s Destiny series as I wait for her Willow Springs to come out.
If money were not an object, where would you most like to live?
On a quiet farm near a small town, with a pond and horses.
Picture yourself as a store. Considering your personality and lifestyle, what type of products would be sold there?
Antiques and all sorts of curious odds and ends.
As a child, what was your favorite thing about school?
The library. It was a haven and a doorway to adventures.
If you came with a warning label, what would it say?
Undercaffeinated-Handle With Caution
Books Coming Soon
Clear As Day, coming from The Wild Rose Press on April 4, 2012
Fill in the Blanks
I love pizza with anchovies.
I'm always ready for a glass of good wine.
When I'm alone, I write.
You'd never be able to tell, but I used to have a tidy desk.
If I had a halo it would be probably lost on my desk somewhere.

Find Me Here
Youtube Book Trailer: http://youtu.be/E1ur-avq5YI
What’s a girl to do when her summer lover wants forever?
Haunted by dark memories of her parents’ volatile marriage, artist Kay Browning keeps her heart locked behind a free-spirit facade and contents herself with the comfortable affair she has every summer with easygoing photographer Nate Quinn.
The only trouble with her plan? This summer Nate’s come to Lake Mohave to claim the lover he can’t let go. He’s done with the endless traveling and settling for temporary homes and temporary loves. Kay’s always been more than just a vacation fling, and now he must convince this woman, who sees love as a course to certain heartbreak, to take that leap of faith and learn how safe love with the right man can be.
Bio: Babette James writes contemporary and fantasy romance and loves reading nail-biting tales with a satisfying happily ever after. When not dreaming up stories, she enjoys playing with new bread recipes and dabbling with paints. A teacher, she loves encouraging new readers and writers as they discover their growing abilities. Her class cheers when it’s time for their spelling test! She lives in New Jersey with her wonderfully patient husband and three extremely spoiled cats.


  1. Hi Kayelle- Thanks so much for letting me visit here and share a little about myself and Clear As Day!

  2. You're welcome, Babette. I've been out sharing the link. ;) Hope you have some new nibbles for your book.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...