April 10, 2012

Tarot And Revision by Mary Caelsto

Wider Circle by Mary Caelsto.
It might seem odd to turn to the tarot cards when I go to revise a story, but then again, I do write pagan inspirational romances. My next WIP is back from my awesome beta and I’m about ready to revise it before sending it off to a publisher. So, I draw a tarot card.
What am I missing in this story?
Interestingly enough, the card I drew was the two of cups, which is a relationship card. Funny, it is a romance. And there is even a love scene, pretty sensual by my standards. The two of cups talks about being in sync, finding that recognition that yes, this is the one. From my standpoint as the author, maybe I’m missing the fact that this is my “break out novella.” or at least one can always hope. *smiles*
Personally, I believe tarot is a way for each of us to connect with our higher selves, our intuition. Using tarot cards is more than a “gut check”; it is also a way for us to bypass the chatter in our minds and find out what we really think or feel about a specific situation. And now that I am writing this blog and thinking about this story, which honestly I haven’t looked at in a few months, I am thinking that the relationship between the characters might need more definition, more of an arc.
I might not have seen that in my rush to get this story polished (I know that sounds funny since I just said that I hadn’t looked at the story in a while) and off to a publisher. In this case, the tarot card provided a prompt, and a timely reminder of what I should look for in my revision process, because it is, after all, a romance story.
Tarot cards are versatile and can provide information about characters, settings, and even plot lines. With the archetypes found in the tarot deck, one can populate an entire cast of characters for a novel though don’t think you’ll be limited by their appearance in either your book, or your tarot deck. The many facets of humanity are on display in a tarot deck. You might find just the right trait to make your heroine stand out, or find out why your hero doesn’t pass muster with the reader.
Writers are naturally creative, and intuitive, people. This means that the tarot cards lend themselves quite nicely to an author’s thought process. Though they have been used (for better or worse) as prompts for stories, I think that tarot cards can provide a much deeper, and richer, experience for the writer crafting his or her story.
Then again, sometimes the tarot cards simply remind you to pay attention to your story while you’re revising, too.
Last release:

The Wider Circle by Mary Caelsto

Still grieving from the loss of her father, Dharma takes a job in a neighboring state with the hopes that the change in location will help her get on with her life and maybe find her faith again. She arrives to find the job gone and with it her hopes. She goes to a ritual on the Autumn Equinox, a time for thankfulness, and when a handsome man asks her what she's thankful for, she finds she cannot answer.
Acting as a High Priest in the ritual changes Sid's life. He's making plans to move out of state and form a new Wiccan Coven, except he's missing the other half of his circle--a high priestess. When he sees Dharma he knows there's a spiritual soul hidden inside her grief, and he longs to bring her out.
But when Sid can't wait any longer and has to move in order to keep his job opportunity, will Dharma go with him? Can Sid show Dharma that the Goddess hasn't forsaken her, and that there's a wider circle for them to explore?

1 comment:

  1. Mary, do you use meditation or other means to write as well? I find the esoteric aspect of your article interesting.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...