May 9, 2012

Dawne Prochilo on Over Promoting

First Chance.
I am a huge advocate when it comes to over-promoting. I constantly see authors overdo the promotions of their books. Granted I know the excitement is there. You want the world to know. You also want the world to buy one copy. Right?
Well, I unexpectedly was off-line for the last few weeks due to personal events and a quick trip to Florida. And in that time I noticed something. Sales for my two self published books dipped. They fell. They tumbled some. Hell, I'll be honest... they crashed faster than the stock market did under the democratic politicians.
Sales for my prequel to When We Meet Again, First Chance, was HOT! It hit number 61 in the Amazon Top 100 Best Sellers back in March when it was first released.
Then came Insatiable Kate- an erotic tale that was once part of an anthology but when the rights reverted back to me, it was off and running as a self-published book on Amazon.
Now what are their standings? *looks around* I don't want to discuss it. Not one single promotion anywhere online for over three weeks... and there was a noticeable difference and I know my payment from Amazon will reflect the slump. So what to do now?
Insatiable Kate
Light promotions. I will be offering Insatiable Kate free next weekend for Mother's Day. My mindset is that moms will receive gift certificate for Mother's Day (Hint** buy some ebooks for mom this year) and while she's on Amazon shopping, she will see my freebie. Win-win here. She gets a free bonus book to read and I may gain a new reader for my fan base.
Now, I did mention LIGHT promotions. So do NOT expect to see me over-flood the already saturated groups and loops with my freebie. I'm hoping and praying for word of mouth exposure.
So now my main question is this... were sales through the roof due to the fact that these were new releases? Or did the sales falter because I didn't promote at all?
The $64-million dollar question I hope to have an answer for within a month. So stay tuned in for these 'test' results.
*the original post is part of my Promo Monday blog series. But this is an experiment I wanted to share with a broader audience. as I'm sure many authors have seen the same sales influx* 
Also on July 14 and July 15, the Marketing For RomanceWriters group are hosting various workshops on promoting and techniques. Please be sure to join us.


  1. I'd like to know the answer to that one too, so I'll stay tuned too. :)


  2. Interesting Dawne! I have some advertising slots set aside at MFRW's Friends of Romance I haven't used up yet. Your post has put me into a "must make time" mode. LOL. Let us know how this turns out.

  3. Great post. Can't wait to hear the results.

  4. Interesting post...Looking forward to the answer to the big question.

  5. I'd love to hear the answer to this too since I sometimes wonder if I over-promote. I have a marketing and PR background so promotion is second nature to me, but I don't want readers to roll their eyes when they see me.

  6. Good information and like the others, I'll be looking for the results. Dawne, your posts always generate good comments and questions. Thank you for sharing with us.

  7. Well this weekend one of my self pubbed books will be offered free on amazon- so let's see- lol

  8. The one book I have that sells the most is self published and I don't promote for it at all. So I do wonder a lot about promotion. I think that sometimes a book can just get selling on it's own and you never know why.

  9. Silver, cool! It would be great if you let us know what you discover.

    Robert, Isn't that the truth? *smacks forehead* You get a sudden spike in a book's sales, ransack your notes for some promo you did, and zip. Nada. What's up with that? And why can't we get more of that? *_* But it sure is nice to have happen.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...