August 26, 2012

A Wacky Decision: Belinda McBride

Recently, I made a really wacky decision. It's one I've since come to regret.

I disconnected my cable.
Now that's not such a big deal, right? After all, I don't watch TV often. What I forgot was that when I unplugged, I literally unplugged everything…TV, phone…and internet. ARGH!The next item on my list is to restore my high speed internet. Who cares about TV? I need my Wikipedia!

That's the sound of Belinda in withdrawal.

Actually, the theory was sound; without the distractions of Twitter and Facebook, I could sit down and get some quality work done. The real outcome wasn't so pretty. I started missing emails from important people…like editors. I didn't have the quick fix of being able to go look up a little factoid online. And I got really lonely.

Well, the library isn't so far away, and Barnes and Noble has free internet too, so every day, I haul myself outside and drive to the nearest hot spot. What I've discovered is that I'm

 a worrier. Are the dogs OK? Does my mother need me for anything? It makes production difficult. I've got hundreds upon hundreds of unopened digests and messages because I'm in such a hurry to get back home.

Once I calm down and focus, it's not so bad, and I'm forcing myself to pay attention to the world around me. Right now, I'm looking out on the rooftop garden at the library. There are certainly some interesting folks here too. Downstairs a guy is preaching from the Bible. His grasp of history makes me shudder, but his intentions are good. There's a woman with a dozen stacks of

paper spread out over a table. Her head is down and she's sound asleep. It's mostly quieter here than the bookstore, but there's still the hum of whispered conversation.

In all, my experiment in being unplugged hasn't been so successful, but its had some highlights. I'm getting more organized; I make lists of what I need to do while I'm on the internet. That means less impulse shopping, I'm not wasting so much time online.

 M/M sexual interactions
"As a general rule, you won't find the love of your life while you're on your knees under a table."

Helios Dayspring

Pasha is a slave, whoring for travelers at the most dangerous bar on Warlan. He has no memory, no future of his own, yet deep inside Pasha knows that that he is meant for better things. The day that Pasha spots the dangerous pirate in the bar, he knows that he mustn’t let the stranger slip away, regardless of what he must do to attract his attention.

Captain Griffin Hawke spent the greater part of a decade searching for his lost king, only to find Helios Dayspring crouched between his knees, swathed in the robes and shackles of a whore. Though he is appalled by the downfall of his king, the hardened officer finds himself falling for the allure of the sensual creature who has taken his place. Returning Helios to his position on the throne is the only right thing to do, yet Griffin knows that in doing so, he risks losing his lover forever.

"A whore is a whore is a whore, unless he's something else completely. I guess I must be an uncommon whore."

Helios Dayspring


I continued to evaluate the room, when my attention was caught by a long, lean figure sprawled negligently at a table near the back exit. Even seated, it was plain that he was taller than the average humanoid. He was hard muscled and battle worn. His black hair was overlong and tumbled in a wavy mass down his neck. The profile he gave me was hard as a blade. An arched nose accentuated cruel, sensuous lips. He wore a black leather patch over one eye, and a scar bisected his high, hard cheekbone. Since he was blind on my side, I took the occasion to watch him openly. He couldn't possibly see me behind the veil, but I was certain that he felt my stare.
He surveyed the room slowly, stopping to watch a whore take position between a gambler's knees. After a few moments, the pirate reached down and readjusted his cock, and then turned his attention elsewhere. He might be interested, but he was here for a reason other than sex.

But God! His head turned slowly in our direction, and my mouth grew dry. My head spun at the impact of that gaze. His remaining eye was black as night and as fierce as flame. I felt the weight of his gaze from behind the veil, where my eyes were covered by a mesh panel. He looked at me for a few heartbeats and then moved on.

I shifted uncomfortably; my cock had grown long and heavy beneath the sheer gauzy robes that covered me from head to foot. Pain lanced through me as it reached the limits allowed by the chastity ring that shackled me. Every instinct urged me to cross the room, to take his arms and look into that dark face…to make him see me.

Sadly I could only go where summoned, and not far from the dark man, a nervous-looking human was gesturing to U'shma. My chest went tight as my owner rose to begin negotiations with the john.

 They whispered and they argued, and finally U'shma signaled defeat. Not really defeat; the twitch of his blunt fingers told me that he’d negotiated a higher-than-expected price.

Rising smoothly to my feet, I carefully manipulated the folds of fabric that shrouded my body and face. There were perhaps three seconds for me to decide on a course of action. An erupting fight in my path held me steady in place, buying a few more seconds and ultimately, the opportunity to act. I'd paused within a few paces of the dark man when a body inevitably slammed into mine, throwing me in his direction. My hand lashed out, knocking over the goblet of sweet wine that sat on the table.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered as the bloodred fluid soaked into his shirt and beaded off the battered black leather of his pants. He growled in annoyance and stood, hands brushing at the wet stains. I was tall, but he towered over me. His shoulders were nearly as wide as U'shma's blockish form, and the black eye was as fierce as I’d imagined it would be.

Once again my lust surged, my heart pounded, and I knew that this man could not be allowed to walk away.


  1. I love the opening of this book. After reading the blurb, and knowing Pasha is really the king and this man has been searching for, it makes me want to dig in and read it asap. Great hook, Belinda.

    I posted Belle Starr's link on Amazon - I love that cover. It's one of the best I've seen.

  2. Great interview! Hi Belinda, you're one of my favorite authors, and your books are awesome!

  3. Hey guys! Thanks for having me here today Kayelle! I love the cover of Belle Starr's so perfect for both the story and the characters.

    And thank you Judie! You are a doll!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...