August 20, 2012

HALF: Interview with Elise VanCise

Half, by Elise VanCise.

Elise, welcome to Romance Lives Forever! Let's jump in and learn details about your book, Half.
Genre: Paranormal Thriller
Buy links (you may list several):
Cover artist: Elise VanCise
Length (words): 39,570
Heat rating (as for movies, R, PG13, etc.): R
Tagline: Which HALF will win?
Blurb: Guarding CEO Alex Blazen during a charity gala was an easy job for Valeska Gorstef...until all hell breaks loose...literally. Forced to face her own darkness, Valeska may lose her only chance to live a human life. Two sides of her soul will be at war. Which HALF will win?
What are your main characters' names?
Valeska Gorstef, Alex Blazen
Valeska owns Black Knight Securities and works as personal security for clients. Alex is CEO of Blazen Enterprises. A conglomerate of different industries and businesses including medical research.


Alex looked into her face. He was searching for something. “What’s going on Valeska? You keep saying we and our. This isn’t your society, you are human.”
A sad smile on her lips Valeska shook her head. “I’m half human. I have lived longer as a vampire than as a human Alex. You must remember that.”
She started walking again and turned down a hall lined with rooms. Pausing at the very last door Valeska turned to her companions. “There will be times that I can not be the person you have known. Here I have to be the creature they know in order to keep you safe. Even you Travis, new vampires are a delicacy to some. This was probably a mistake, coming here.”
Marcus opened the door next to hers and shrugged as he just tossed his bag inside on the floor. “Might have been a mistake but we can’t turn back now.”
Opening the door to her childhood room, Valeska had to agree. “No, no turning back.”
Inside the room was dark but she could clearly see all was as she left it. Even the porcelain doll that she knocked off the windowsill that night lay shattered on the floor. The room was clean there were fresh linens on the bed but to her it seemed unclean. She shook her head to banish memories.
Moving with that supernatural etherealness Valeska stood at that window opening it wide to the night. Picking up the broken shards of a painted smiling face she tossed them out the window.
After a few breaths she sighed, nothing changed. She was still here. Her nightmares were still real and she still stood at this window and wished on those stars shining above that she were truly whole and not half.
Tell us about your latest book, including its genre. Does it cross over to other genres? If so, what are they?
In the Dark
HALF is a paranormal thriller, with dashes of action, horror, and of course romance. HALF centers around Valeska Gorstef. When she takes a job as personal security for CEO Alex Blazen, Valeska is forced to look at the dark half of her soul she’s tried to keep buried. She may be forced to make choices that will lead herself those she cares about most deep into that darkness. Her fear is not being able to come back into the light. Which HALF will win?
What do you enjoy most about writing?
I love the process of creation. Seeing the world in my head unfold and grow as it falls onto the paper. Falling in love or hate with the characters as they become three dimensional.
If you could give the younger version of yourself advice what would it be?
Don’t let others instill doubt, be confident in who you are. Be the square peg in the round hole.
Is your muse demanding?
She can be very demanding at times. To the point of being in a shop and having to stop in the middle of it, pull out pen and notebook to write down the idea pouring out.
Are your stories driven by plot or character?
I believe both, I think of it as planting a garden. The characters are the seeds and the plot the soil, water, and sun. You see and feel the characters grow with the foundation of the plot goal and the events that surrounds it guiding the growth until they finally bloom.
What are some jobs you've done that would end up in a book?
I’ve had a couple of interesting jobs. The ones that might make it into a story in one variation or another would be administrative secretary for a school, medical records researcher, clerk for supervisor of elections office.
What do you hope readers take with them after reading your work?
I hope they were able to feel like they were part of the story.
List two authors we would find you reading when taking a break from your own writing.
Elmore Leonard, JD Robb
Don't Touch
A biography has been written about you. What do you think the title would be in six words or less?
Yes, She Did.
If money were not an object, where would you most like to live?
If money were no object I would have a huge luxury house boat. I could dock anywhere I wanted for as long as I like, then try some place new.
Picture yourself as a store. Considering your personality and lifestyle, what type of products would be sold there?
I’m a casual kind of person. I can dress up and be fancy when the occasion calls for it but mostly comfy jeans and a soft tee, other products would be DVDs I keep a stack handy on my desk to pop in while I’m working. Mugs, I have an addiction to mugs and coffee cups, and peanut butter Oreos.
Do you play any online, board, or role-playing games? Which ones?
I’ve not been playing a lot of games as of late. On Facebook I play The Ville, Family Farm, You Don’t Know Jack. And on G+ I love Gangs of Boomtown.

Please Fill in the Blanks

I love pizza with extra pepperoni.
I'm always ready for an adventure    
When I'm alone, I read, write, or plot J     
You'd never be able to tell, but I am near sighted in one eye and far sighted in the other. It really messes with my perception sometimes.
If I had a halo it would be crooked.
If I could win the lottery I'd travel to all the places on my list.
I can never change a light bulb because I’m so scared of heights I won’t get on a step ladder.

My Booklist

In the Dark
Don’t Touch

Books Coming Soon

Taken (coming this winter)
Elise VanCise
Dean Cross waited impatiently for his estranged wife to step off her flight. He has hope that after three years of separation they can put their marriage back together again. The last passenger disembarked, no Lucinda. Had she missed the flight or changed her mind?

Kidnapping isn’t just a crime, it’s a multimillion dollar business. Most believe only rich kids or missionaries in a foreign country are held for ransom. The Cross’ find out anyone can be Taken.


A free e-copy of HALF to one commenter

Find Me Here


  1. Thank you for having me :) Looking forward to meeting everyone today!

  2. Elise I absolutely LOVE your covers! So spare, yet they are remarkably evocative. Half sounds wonderful--for someone like me who hasn't read much paranormal (I've read all Anne Rice's books but that's it)would it be hard for me to get into that world? M. S. Spencer

  3. :) Hi Meredith Thank you so much! It wouldn't be hard to step into the world of HALF. It's an everyday setting with a dark side.

  4. Look forward to it then! Meredith


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...