October 4, 2012

Finding Grace with Rhea Rhodan #amreading

Finding Grace.
Rhea Rhodan, welcome to Romance Lives Forever. Let's talk about your book!
Book title: Finding Grace
Author: Rhea Rhodan
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Buy links:
and other fine e-tailers
Publisher: Musa Publishing
Cover artist: Kelly Shorten
Length: 83,000 words
Heat rating: Sensual (3/5 flames)
Tagline: Two damaged people with harrowing pasts, one with deadly visions of the future--both must confront their deepest fears before they lose themselves and each other.
Kidnapped by human monsters, Grace Thorne was ripped from her quiet intellectual life and left deeply scarred. She’s hidden herself for five years, but there’s no escape from the nightmares of the past, or visions of the future. When one foretells tragedy, she gambles her fragile defenses on a haunted man to prevent it--only to discover love is the biggest risk of all.
Jack Daggery doesn’t need a mirror to know why people avoid him, but he doesn’t really care. After years working deep undercover, immersed in betrayal and death, all he wants is some peace and the quiet security company he co-owns.
Dagger has no idea why the foul-mouthed little server of questionable gender bothers him. But he does know that living with the ghosts of his past was hard enough without being tormented by the mysterious thorn in his side--or finding how much he needs her.
What are your main characters' names, ages, and occupations?
Grace Thorne, 26, banquet server and super-tech
Jack Daggery, 33, half owner of private security company


“Someone’s going to die.”
Dagger was already late. He didn’t have time for this shit. Especially not this pint-sized, purple-haired shit. The voice was surprisingly rough coming from the small frame, and the way the kid moved didn’t quite…well, there were a lot of those in the catering business. Thank God he’d finished getting dressed.
He’d thought the employee coat room would be a safe place to make a quick change, what with the party being well underway and all. Why would a server be in here now? They should all be busy.
Wait, that raw voice had been responsible for some damn creative cussing he’d heard a minute ago through the not-so-thin door. If he’d heard it, everyone else in the place must have, too. It had followed the loud crash that could have only meant the brutal end of a lot of glass. Someone had barked something after that, but the only word that made it through the door to Dagger’s ears was "fired."
Okay. So, not just short and queer in at least one way, but foul-mouthed and currently unemployed, too. Dagger shook his head.
"What do you mean, ‘someone’s going to die’? Is that supposed to be a threat?” Not that Dagger could blame the kid. He took a step closer anyway. "And why tell me?"
The little purple head cocked to the side. “You might be able to stop it. You're security, right?"
If Dagger had been expecting an answer, that wasn’t it.
“Actually, I'm a guest," he said through gritted teeth.
He and his partner had been invited to the charity ball by a prospective client. The CEO was only in town for the night. He’d refused to give Blackridge his business until he'd met both of them. So here was Dagger, squeezed into the biggest tux the rental place had buried in the back, making his best attempt to be presentable so they could land the account. The kid wasn’t buying it and he doubted anyone else would, either. He knew who he was, or who he’d been, anyway. The way he looked on the outside wasn’t the half of it.
The kid thrust up his chin about a foot and half below Dagger’s and glared at him through large, dark-tinted glasses. Brave little shit, anyway.
"Yeah, right. And I'm Paul-freaking-Bunyan. You fit in with these mothball penguins like Babe The Blue Ox in a goddamn china shop. I just don't want anyone to get hurt, okay? Look for a green van. I gotta go." He pulled a wool cap over his ears, shrugged on an over-sized ratty jacket and ducked past Dagger’s grab, fast. Damned fast.
Dagger hesitated a moment before following. Yes, he was late. But no, he really didn’t want to be here. And what if the tip was solid and he ignored it?
Click here for a full excerpt: http://rhearhodan.com/finding-grace-excerpt.html


Tell us about your latest book, including its genre. Does it cross over to other genres? If so, what are they?
Finding Grace is a contemporary romance with a twist of paranormal. By that I mean that the paranormal aspect--Grace has visions--isn't the main part of the story, the romance is.
What is the single most important part of writing for you?
Developing the characters. I tell myself stories all of the time, with an ever-evolving cast of characters. I love matching them up and finding the right stories and situations for them.
What did you learn from writing your first book?
That I can tell a good story, but had a lot to learn about the craft of writing.
If you could give the younger version of yourself advice what would it be?
I've been telling myself stories since long before I could read, and writing since early adolescence (including pursuing a degree in journalism). I honestly never thought to combine the two until a few years ago when one of my stories grabbed me by the throat and made me write it down. I don't know why it never occurred to me before; it would have been nice to get an earlier start!
Are your stories driven by plot or character?
Absolutely character, but I like plenty of plot with my romance, too.
What are some jobs you've done that would end up in a book?
I'd, er, rather not say.
What do you hope readers take with them after reading your work?
With Finding Grace, I would like them to know that no matter how terrible they think their flaws are, they are worthy of both giving and receiving true love.
If money were not an object, where would you most like to live?
San Francisco. I love the climate, culture, and incredible choice of restaurants.
Picture yourself as a store. Considering your personality and lifestyle, what type of products would be sold there?
Character clothing (from steampunk to bohemian to regency to medieval), along with an excellent chocolate and single-malt scotch selection.
As a child, what was your favorite thing about school?
That's the easiest question of the interview. I forgave them for taking away nap time because they taught me to read.
If you came with a warning label, what would it say?
Can not shut up to save her life.
Rhea Rhodan

Please Fill in the Blanks

I love pizza with everything.
I'm always ready for a nap.
When I'm alone, I read or write.
You'd never be able to tell, but I'm an introvert.
If I had a halo it would be bent.
If I could play a guitar I'd be impossible to live with.
I can never play games that involve eye-hand coordination because I have none.

Find Me Here


  1. You know, I hadn't read that blurb before now? I guess I get snowblind (or book blind) because I have so many writer friends.

    I saw that bit about the "foul-mouthed little server of questionable gender" and I perked up REALLY fast.

    I'm always looking for quirkiness, and there it is! I'm so curious now.

  2. I'd echo Holley's comments. Your book sounds different. I'm sure it will stand out with a blurb like that. Good interview questions too. Good luck!

  3. I've read Finding Grace and it's a great book. Just stopping by to find out a few more details about Rhea.

    You had me at nap, Rhea. And if you move to San Francisco, I promise I'll fly up for a visit. :)

  4. Finding Grace was a wonderful read, Rhea. Enjoyed a peek into what makes you tick (:

  5. Holley: I was really thinking Finding Grace would have to come out down the road because it is different and publishers aren't that big on risks these days--especially on a debut author. Thank goodness for e-publishing and wonderful Musa Publishing! The willingness of small presses to try fresh and different is what keeps bringing me back to them as a reader.

    alienor33 (Jane): I appreciate it. Luck is good.

    Margaret: Excellent! We could go out for a long lunch, followed by a stroll, then retire for naps before dinner :>).

    Thanks for stopping by! And thank you for having me, Kayelle!

  6. Thank you, Clarissa! I very much appreciate your kind review, too (and Margaret's)!

  7. Always glad to have someone / something new on RLF. There is plenty of room here for quirk. ^_^ I liked that questionable gender line myself!

  8. Good interview, Rhea. Finding Grace sounds like my kind of read.

  9. Loved, loved the book. Great interview!

  10. Thanks for stopping by and commenting Sloan, Martin, and June! So glad you enjoyed the book, June (and grateful for your review)!

  11. Enjoyed the interview Rhea. I'm with you on the nap. Good luck with 'Finding Grace' - it sounds like a great story.

  12. It sounds intriguing! Great interview!!!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...