As the owner of Romance Lives Forever, I've had the opportunity to interview about two hundred authors this year. I've learned some fun things about them, their books, and their characters. As I thought about what to write for Thanksgiving Day on the blog, I couldn't help but be grateful for their friendship and the insights I've gained by knowing them. I decided that would be the best thing to share. There are more than thirteen things, but in the spirit of Thursday Thirteen, that's all I'm listing. Besides, that gives me a good thing to write about on another day!
13 Things I'm Thankful For
- I'm in good company. The authors who interview here are amazing men and and women. I'm privileged to make their acquaintance.
- My characters, with their idioms and quirks, are no stranger than anyone else's. I've met characters here in interviews, and I can say mine are normal. (Okay, that's a lie, but I'm still going to say it.)
- I appreciate the honest interviews that I get every week. They are a joy to read, and I love getting to know so many wonderful authors, characters, and books.
- I've discovered that no one else is balanced in their writing life either. Writers know the definition of balance, but seem to have no idea how to implement it. It's nice not to be alone. ;)
- I'm thankful that with rare exception, writers who interview here turn in their material on time. Thank you more than you know.
- I'm grateful for macros that let me format documents in a snap. No two people use the same formats, and despite a nicely pre-formatted interview, I usually get back text that's in a different font, size, or with indentions where I hadn't planned them, so the macros help. A lot.
- Having to change all those things has shown me that there are easier ways to do things. I would never have discovered that if everyone did things the same way.
- I'm thankful for the idea to share blog stats and show the top bloggers. It began in January of this year, and I've kept it up every month. Now I can track trends and see what works. Wish I'd thought of it sooner!
- This blog has helped me meet some incredible people I'd never have met otherwise. The Romance Lives Forever Paper.li ezine that comes out because of the blog has also helped me meet many cool new friends.
- Can't talk about things I'm thankful for related to this blog without mentioning Twitter and Triberr. That combination is powerful. I wouldn't want to be without either one.
- I'm thankful for a family that supports me in what I do. I couldn't help others if I had no help myself.
- Which brings me to friends again -- because I could not run this blog, help other authors, interview so many people, and post so much if not for them. Thank you.
- Finally -- and yet foremost -- I'm thankful for my health. I was in the hospital earlier this year. Thought I was having a heart attack. Although it wasn't, I did discover some issues with my heart that have made me be much more careful of my health. I joke about "balance" -- but I do try to rest more, eat well, and take better care of myself.
2012 has been the most successful year ever for Romance Lives Forever. It's because of the people who post here, share their books, their lives, and the people who come to read about them. I look forward to another wonderful year in 2013. I hope to be back here next year, sharing a list of good things I've learned. Maybe I'll even have figured out a little balance.
About the Author
Kayelle Allen is the owner of Marketing for Romance Writers, the Romance Lives Forever blog, and The Author's Secret. She's a writer of immortal role-playing gamers, warriors who purr, and agents who find the unfindable--or hide it forever.