November 28, 2012

Contemporary Romance: Winter Harvest @susan_jaymes #amreading

Winter Harvest.

Susan Jaymes, welcome to Romance Lives Forever. Let's talk about your book, Winter Harvest.
Genre: Contemporary
Buy links:
Publisher: Desert Breeze Publishing
Cover artist: Gwen Phifer
Length: 50000 words
Heat rating: Sensual
Tagline: There's no going back.
Victoria O'Connor came home to help run the family farm, not fall back in love with Traye Petersen, the hired hand. After her mother's death she takes it upon herself to heal her father and brother's hearts.
Traye Petersen is indebted to the O'Connor's for giving him a home in spite of his nasty past. He convinces himself he's part of the O'Connor family and does not intend to lose their respect. Once he gets a taste of Victoria at a weak moment, it awakens an unknown desire, testing his honor leaving him to prove to the O'Connor's he's worthy of their love.
What are your main characters' names, ages, and occupations?
Victoria O'Connor, twenties, oversees the family farm.
Traye Petersen, twenties, the hired hand.


"You are part of my family. You're my best friend, and confidant. You got me through Mom's death, and you help with Dad, too."
"Thanks. You guys helped me through a lot of crap as well. I'll always be grateful to this family. Paying my respects is important for me."
"She was very special." Victoria lifted her head and looked at her mother's grave one more time. "This family will never be the same."
"Like you staying on here?"
She looked at him, and his slight smile tugged at her heart. She loved his smile, but she loved his grin even more. She could stare at this man forever and never get sick of him. He really had helped her through the last three years, and she'd fallen hopelessly in love with him. Oh, she'd loved him before, but now she knew he'd always be her first love. The man to whom she'd compare every guy, even if he never realized how she felt.
She'd never planned on staying on the farm after college. When Traye had said he'd never seen her as a woman, that he only thought of her as a friend, she'd decided to move on. Then right after graduation, her mother had fallen ill.
Now, more in love than ever and without a mother to guide her, Victoria decided she'd settled for friendship with Traye instead.
"I have no other choice and no regrets. After losing Mom, I don't want to waste any time away from Dad." Or you. She kept her gaze away from him. "Besides, Andrew needs me, even though he won't admit it. Haven't gotten that all figured out yet. I feel as if it's my job now to keep this family together. And you're part of this family, too."
"Yeah?" He smiled a slow, lazy grin. "Thanks."
"I wish you'd just believe it. Besides… lately, you're much easier to deal with than
He nodded. "No argument there." He turned back toward the grave. "Do you think the pain will ever get any easier to bear?"
"I doubt it. You didn't feel this way when your parents died, did you?"
"Hell, no." Traye grimaced. "Don't remember much about my mom at all, and all I
remember about Dad is that he was a mean drunk."
"You have to let it go."
"I don't think I can, and I don't want to discuss it in front of Tessie's grave. This is her time, and I'd much rather remember the great memories I have of her than the nightmares I had of my dad."
Guilty Hearts
"Well, there you go. Make it easier by remembering the good times with Mom. Remember how, on a cold day like today, she'd shove us outside to get fresh air -- and we hated it. Once we got outside, though, we'd lose ourselves in a snowball fight or building a fort. She always knew when we needed to burn off some energy. Then we'd come in to find her ready with hot chocolate and fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. She made the best cookies."
"Yeah, she did. That's something you haven't mastered yet."
She slugged him, and he laughed. With all his thick gear on, her punch had probably just felt like a tap. "If you don't like my cooking, then eat elsewhere."
"Not a chance. Just don't make cookies."
"You're terrible, but you did manage to make me feel better." Victoria pushed her
stocking hat higher on her head. "You want to go in and teach me how to make them?"
"No. I'm worse than you are. I'd love a hot cup of coffee and the leftover chocolate cake you got from town, though."
"Oh sure. You'll eat a store bought cake, but not my cookies."
"Yep." He rose and offered her his hand. "I know you want some cake, too."
She grabbed his hand and let him haul her up to her feet. "You're right. I do."
He pulled her in close, and she banged into his hard chest. Not sure what possessed her, she rose onto her tiptoes and kissed him hard on the lips. Although the air was cold, the contact sent a heat wave surging down to her toes. His tongue slipped out to lick her eager lips, turning her insides to hot lava. She opened her mouth, let him explore inside, and dueled with his brazen tongue. He pulled her closer and deepened the kiss.
A moan escaped from deep within her throat.
With an abrupt push, he stepped away.


How did you get your start in the industry?
I always dreamed of being a writer but once I found the right critique partner who knew the publishing industry, she guided me to publication.
If you could choose anyone to be your mentor who would it be?
I believe I already have her as my critique partner, Susan Palmquist.
If you could give the younger version of yourself advice what would it be?
Learn about the business, seriously commit yourself to learning it and never give up.
Do things your family or friends do ever end up in a book?
Yes. I use my kids a lot and my own childhood.
What are some jobs you've done before (or while) you were a writer?
I'm still working full-time as a customer service representative for an insurance agency.
I've cleaned offices before and worked for Culligan.
What do you think is the future of epublishing?
I think it will be the major source for books for readers. I think there will still be books but more of a print on demand sort of thing except for the mega authors.
Where were you at midnight, on December 31st when the new century started?
Nothing too exciting. Home in bed I'm afraid to say.
What do you like to do when you're bored?
Read, surf the net or watch a good TV show.
If you were a color, what color would you be?

Please Fill in the Blanks

I love pizza with cheese.
I'm always ready for a great story.
When I'm alone, I read or watch TV.
You'd never be able to tell, but I'm very shy.
If I had a halo it would be crooked.
If I could retire from my day job I'd buy a beach house in Florida and write.
Susan Jaymes
I can never ride in an air balloon because I'm scared of heights.

Previous Books

Guilty Hearts

Books Coming Soon

Summer's Bloom-Book Two of Love in Surplus Series-June 21, 2013
Season's Bounty-Book Three of Love in Surplus Series-January 21, 2014

Find Me Here


  1. Perfect book for the season.

    1. The cover sure fits, Allie! Thanks for dropping by.

  2. Thank you and thanks for stopping by.

  3. I am very proud of my cover. The cover artist did a beautiful job.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...