November 2, 2012

Moon Over Alcatraz @PattiYager #amreading

Moon Over Alcatraz.

Patricia Yager Delagrange, welcome to Romance Lives Forever. Let's talk about your book, Moon Over Alcatraz.
Genre: Women’s Fiction with Romantic Elements
Buy links:
Publisher: Musa Publishing
Cover artist: Kelly Shorten
Length: 90,000 words
Heat rating: Two on a scale of 1 to 5
Weston and Brandy’s marriage splinters beneath the weight of sorrow after the death of their child and following an accidental meeting with her high school friend, Brandy ends up carrying more than just the weight of grief inside her heart.
Brandy Chambers was looking forward to the birth of her first child. She and Weston move from San Francisco to the small town of Alameda to start a family, she’s writing her second book, and Weston has a fantastic job working on the Oakland-San Francisco Bay Bridge project. Having this baby would make her already-wonderful life perfect.
But when the baby dies after a difficult birth, Brandy’s perfect life blows up in her face. Stricken with grief, she and Weston pull apart. This new distance leads them both to disaster. Not until a chance encounter with her high school friend, Edward Barnes, does Brandy pull herself together. Brandy and Weston agree to recommit to each other, striving to forgive infidelity and recreate their previous existence.
Everything is once again going according to plan--until Brandy discovers she’s pregnant. While she struggles to cope with this new obstacle, Edward Barnes returns to town and discovers she’s having a baby, while Weston is torn between his love for his wife and his anger at her betrayal. Can Brandy manage to keep her marriage to Weston together? Will Edward be a part of Brandy’s life if she and Weston separate?


“What are you doing? Where are you going? Please, let’s talk about this.”
“I work my ass off in New York while you’re at home screwing other dudes?”
I pulled the sheet around me, ran over and grabbed his arm. “I wasn’t screwing other dudes.” He ripped his arm out of my grasp. “I was the one who was all screwed up. Then you went to New York and all we ever did was argue on the phone. You don’t tell your secretary you’re married and she treats me like crap on the phone...”
By now, he was fully dressed, shoes and jacket on, wallet grabbed off the bureau. His hand hovered above the door knob. His face looked void of emotion, wiped clean of all expression. “I can’t do this,” he mumbled.
I sobbed, knowing I’d hurt him and betrayed his trust. I felt like a slut. “I’m sorry. I made a mistake. But I love you.”
He stood near the door, shaking his head, tears dripping from his chin.
My legs shook. My stomach cramped. I had to make him understand. “I know I’ve hurt you and that wasn’t my intention, but I wasn’t thinking straight. I’ll regret it forever. You don’t deserve this but I’m asking you to forgive me.”
His eyes swam with tears and his chin quivered. His Adam’s apple twitched up and down as he swallowed. “I had sex with Carol Smith.”


What do you enjoy most about life?
I have a really great life. I have a wonderful husband, two kids (boy - 18 and girl -13), two very huge lovable chocolate labs (Annabella is the mom of Jack), and a huge 1,425-pound Friesian horse. I don’t have to work outside of the home, so I have time to write. That is a luxury that I constantly remind myself to be be grateful for. I have two really great sisters with whom I have a wonderful relationship. I’m healthy, my family is healthy. Life is good.
If you could choose anyone to be your mentor who would it be?
I have had the incredible opportunity to have an editor and mentor who is also a multi-published author who has worked with me on all of my four books. She literally has taught me how to write because of her gentle and kind editing. She is the embodiment of the word “invaluable.”
If you could give the younger version of yourself advice what would it be?
I’d tell the younger me to enjoy every day. You never know when life will hit you with a hammer to the head and your life can veer off course, maybe forever or maybe just for awhile. Take advantage of all that life has to give and “go for it”. Have fun, give your love to those you want to give it to, take care of your parents, and have an animal friend.
Grab a Ticket - Life's a Trip
What does "balance" mean to you as a writer?
Balance to me as a writer means taking time to interact with people online, reading books you love, writing and editing, and spending time withmy family, my dogs and my big lovable horse.
Do things your family or friends do ever end up in a book?
I pepper my books with family and friends in the form of names, places we’ve gone, personalities, attitudes. Yes, I do that. I think that’s what gives older writers (of which I am a group member) an advantage. I’ve experienced a lot in my life and have a wealth of ideas and things I’ve done that I can incorporate into my books.
What kind of books do you read when taking a break from your own writing?
I read women’s fiction and general fiction. In other words, I love Debbie Macomber, Jodi Picoult, Richard Paul Evans, Nicholas Sparks, Susan Wiggs, Barbara Freethy, Nancy Naigle, Robyn Carr, and many others.
What was the proudest moment of your life so far?
Oh, man. I don’t think there was just one. If I was backed up against a wall, I’d have to say I was most proud of the birth of my son. I never thought I’d get pregnant and make it through nine months of pregnancy. And I did it! Yippee!
Imagine you get to go on a dream vacation, but you have only one hour to pack and leave, and it starts as soon as you finish this interview. What will you take with you and where will you go?
That’s easy. I’d pack a few shorts and tops and my make-up and hair products and jam to the airport to go to Kauai. I love that island. I’ve been there twice, once on my honeymoon, and I’m assuming it hasn’t gotten all “touristy” like some of the other islands.
If your life became a movie, who would you want to play you?
My first thought was Sigourney Weaver. She’s a woman who feels comfortable in her skin and doesn’t cow-tow to men.

Please Fill in the Blanks

I love pizza with basil leaves, different types of cheeses, sliced tomatoes, olives, and mushrooms. Oh, and thin crust.
I'm always ready for renting a good movie to watch at home.
When I'm alone, I like to read a good book.
You'd never be able to tell, but my favorite hobby is riding my horse
If I had a halo it would be pink.
If I could live anywhere I'd move to a ranch on the coast of California so I could ride my horse whenever I wanted to.
Patti Yager
I can never live out of California because I hate the cold and hate the heat.

Books Coming Soon

Passing Through Brandiss by WIld Child Publishing as an e-book in November/December 2012

Find Me Here


  1. Welcome, Patti! I'm glad you're here!

  2. You know, Patti, you'd always be welcome at my house on the lake up in Canada! I'd pick giving birth to my son too! Great interview and best wishes with the success of your publishing ventures!

  3. Thank you for your kind invitation, Sharon. My sister-in-law has dual citizenship with the U.S. and Canada and chose to stay there forever. She loves it. I've only been to Vancouver but it was such a gorgeous city. I saw all the sights and was really impressed.

  4. I'll share a pizza with you any time, Patti. And, uh, anyone who's friends with you on FB could guess your favorite hobby is horseback riding :>). Keep those gorgeous horses coming!

  5. Yeah, I was thinking that pizza sounded pretty good myself, Rhea. ;) Sharon, thanks for coming so far south to see us! ^_^

  6. Well, Rhea, perhaps you and Kayelle and Sharon and I can share a virtual pizza one day. Thanks for stopping by.

  7. Thank you for having me today, Kayelle.

  8. Count me in for pizza with fresh basil any day!! Virtual works. Great interview Patti.

  9. Mary thanks for coming by to say hello. ^_^


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...