November 3, 2012

Paranormal Title Love with @taralain #amreading

Brush With Catastrophe.
Welcome Tara Lain to Romance Lives Forever! Take it away, Tara...
 - - - 
I’m so delighted to be here at Romance Lives Forever visiting you guys and my pal, Kayelle Allen. I’m celebrating the release of my new MM erotic romance, Brush with Catastrophe. It’s a contemporary paranormal novel and the sequel to Spell Cat. Creating the title for Brush with Catastrophe was a labot of love and inspiration so today I thought I’d talk about titles.
Some authors have a love/hate relationship with book titles. For others it’s hate/hate. It’s quite common for authors to ask other people for help with their titles and many wait until the book is completed before they choose a title. Not me. For some reason, for me, titles are practically spiritual. Or maybe biological is a good word. They’re born out of the idea growing in my mind and then leap out full blown and help guide the story. So many of my books have been created out of title love.
Take Volley Balls. Originally, that little book was going to be a standalone for an anthology and it was called David and Goliath. I decided I didn’t like the name a short way into the book. I was afraid it might offend someone. Then inspiration struck. Two of my heroes are Australian volleyball players and I just couldn’t resist the name Volley Balls. People loved the title, so when I decided to write another book in the series, it had to have a “Balls” title. In Volley Balls, there’s a feisty little guy named Rodney and he just had to be my hero for the next book. He is definitely a little fire ball and the next title was born. The title, Fire Balls, suggested the story and I made the guy Rodney loves a firefighter. It’s also funny that people send me emails and come up to me on the street with suggested Balls titles! I love it.
And title love also applies to Brush with Catastrophe. As I mentioned, this book is the sequel to Spell Cat. Spell Cat was inspired by a black cat. Cats suggest witches (at least to me). So I decided to write a witch book--but it would be about a male witch, a great witch master who has a black cat who is his familiar. But the witch is also a teacher. The book just had to be called -- Spell Cat.
For the sequel, I really wanted to write about Sammy, a character introduced in Spell Cat. Sammy is a witch whose power is prophetic painting. Sammy finds himself the focus of friendship for Aloysius, the spell cat of the previous book, and together, along with the man Sammy loves, they have to fight a huge threat to all witchery. I needed a title for the book -- I freak out if I don’t have a title to work with. The word Catastrophe kept playing in my mind because of Aloysius. One morning I literally sat up in bed and thought painter! Yes, paint brush! Brush with Catastrophe. And new title love was born.
Do you have favorite titles that persuaded you to buy a book?

About the Author

Tara Lain
Tara Lain’s first erotic romance novel was published in January of 2011. She’s now on book 16. Her novels have garnered awards for Best Series of 2011, Best Contemporary Romance, and Tara has been named Best Writer of the Year in the LRC Awards. In her other job, Tara owns an advertising and public relations firm, and she carries her promotional instincts into her writing career as well. She lives with her soul-mate husband in Laguna Beach, California, a pretty seaside town where she sets a lot of her books. Passionate about diversity, justice, and new experiences, Tara says on her tombstone it will say “Yes”!


  1. I like the Balls title way better! :D Didn't register the 'Cat' in the title until just now... lol love it!


  2. LOL! I'll admit Catastrophe is more subtle.I even have the name for Book 3--just no book yet! : )

  3. Cats do have a way of appearing, don't they? =^_^=

  4. Oh yes. Aloysius gets anything he wants! : )

  5. Love the Catastrophe pun, but didn't realize the Brush part till I read the blurb. Very clever!


  6. Thank you, Trix. I do love my titles. : )

  7. Taking a break from my NaNo Writing, had to come visit you here.
    Thank You once again Tara...

  8. Thank you, Rush! Great luck with NaNo. i couldn't do it this year because i have a Nov 21 deadline so i couldn't start a new book. I have done it, however, and won which is a great way to find out what you are capable of doing! : )

  9. I love the names of your books. Calls to mind all sorts of things.
    debby236 at gmail dot com

  10. Thank you Debby-- Music to my ears. : )

  11. Tara you have been a busy lady today. I saw you all over the place. Did you feel like someone was following you? LOL

  12. LOL. I love the company! And thank you so much for having me. : )

  13. Glad we could get together for this. It's always fun seeing what you have new!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...