December 17, 2012

Fantasy: On Par with a Fairy @lylabardan #rlfblog

On Par with a Fairy.

Lyla Bardan, welcome to Romance Lives Forever. Let's talk about your book, On Par with a Fairy.
Genre: Fantasy Romance
Publisher: Boroughs Publishing Group
Buy links:
Cover artist: Boroughs Publishing Group, artwork by Julie Fain
Length: 11,750 words
Heat rating: Sweet
Tagline: Young love with a fantasy twist.
Blurb: When sixteen-year-old Travis meets enchanting Fairy Lark, legend speaks of a fated union, but his parents disagree. Can Fairy legend prove stronger than parents, prejudice, and the inevitable parting that must come with summer's end?
What are your main characters' names, ages, and occupations?
Travis Cho, age 16, high-achieving student and member of golf team.
Lark (no last name because she’s a Fairy), true age unknown but approximately 16 as a human
Mr. Cho, Travis’s father, doctor and social climber.
Mrs. Cho, Travis’s mother, wise housewife.
Brandon Cho, Travis’s brother, age 11, pest.


Lark was holding on to the deck rail, staring up into the evening sky with longing. Her voice broke when she spoke. “I’ll never fly again. I’ll never see my fairy friends again or sip the golden nectar from the lilies and mistflowers. What have I done? I had to use all my fairy magic to initiate the change. Now there’s no going back.”
She turned to face him, eyes filling with tears. “I had no idea being human was like this. I don’t have a family. I don’t have a home. I have no money, no job...”
Travis didn’t know what to say. He felt awful, but maybe his dad was right; this wasn’t his problem. He hadn’t forced her to become human. It had been her choice, her decision. Why had she done it? He wasn’t responsible for her. He couldn’t be. He was only sixteen.
But when he looked at her trembling face, more than anything he wanted to be with her. He wanted to protect her. Everything about her felt right.
“Lark, I don’t know what I can do. I want to help you, but...”
“I know,” she said. She reached up and touched his face.
He pulled her into his arms and kissed her, felt the warm wetness of her tears on his cheeks, drank in the sweet taste of her lips. Her hair smelled like the woods after a rain.


Tell us about your latest book, including its genre. Does it cross over to other genres? If so, what are they?
On Par with a Fairy is a light-hearted, sweet romance between Travis, a 16-year-old boy and Lark, a Fairy who changes to human on the belief she is fated to be with him because he can see her as a Fairy. The book is a young adult, fantasy romance.
How do you come up with ideas?
Most of my story ideas come from dreams, particularly the dreams I have just as I fall asleep. I’m a lucid dreamer. I also get character ideas from observing people I meet.
Where do you start when writing? Research, plotting, outline, or...?
Depends on the work. Sometimes, I start only with an idea and simply start writing, allowing the characters to guide me on their journey. This is the most exciting for me since I have no idea what happens next in the story until the characters tweeze it from my typing fingers. Of course, sometimes, the characters refuse to talk and I am left hanging. Often, I put such stories away to be revisited at a time with said characters might be more cooperative.
With other works, I dream the plot over several nights and write down everything I can remember. I have two novels waiting to be written where I have many pages of typed notes. I can’t wait to start on those.
How many hours a day do you spend writing?
Do you mean, like, continuous hours?
Well, since I decided I really, really wanted to be a writer, I’ve worked on my craft every day--sometimes writing, sometimes editing, sometimes reading. Oftentimes, checking Facebook.
If you could give the younger version of yourself advice what would it be?
Don’t eat so many donuts. Oh, and you shouldn’t have given up on that novel you wrote in college. They have something called Paranormal Romance now. Would have been a good fit.
What are some jobs you've done that would end up in a book?
Just out of high school, I worked at a Fannie May chocolate store. We were told to sample the candies so we could describe them to customers. I found it required many, many trays of candies to truly understand the product I was selling, particularly caramel bon-bons. In fact, I did mention caramel bon-bons in a paranormal novel I wrote.
I have a master’s in Environmental Science and was an associate research scientist at a university. And for twelve years I was a wildlife rehabilitator, caring for injured and orphaned wild birds (note: Chimney Swifts are very difficult to feed but they enjoy clinging to you and thus make great broaches). I do touch upon areas of animal behavior in several of my works.
What do you hope readers take with them after reading your work?
Not antacids, I hope. I’d like readers to remember you can love someone who doesn’t look like you, who doesn’t talk like you, who isn’t part of your “group.”
List two authors we would find you reading when taking a break from your own writing.
Two young adult books I’ve read recently that blew me away are Graceling, by Kristin Cashore, and Night of the Purple Moon, by Scott Cramer. I also read a ton of adult paranormal books and have several favorite authors. Right now, I’m digging G.A. Aiken’s dragon series.
Picture yourself as a store. Considering your personality and lifestyle, what type of products would be sold there?
Anything and everything to do with safety. I think I am a very cautious person and have been known to accost total strangers for doing something I thought was dangerous (like not having a lid on their hot coffee). So, life jackets, yes, lots of life jackets. And maybe brownies.
Do you play any online, board, or role-playing games? Which ones?
I used to play Warlords. Yes, deep down inside, past my cautious exterior, I’m an aggressive leader bent on world domination. But it hurt my feelings to be slaughtered online.
Tell us an embarrassing story that has to do with a pet. If you have no pets, a story about a significant other will do.
When I was a kid, my mother was a cat breeder...and um, yes, I took pictures.
If you came with a warning label, what would it say?
She laughs LOUD. And a lot. And sometimes snorts.
Lyla Bardan

Please Fill in the Blanks

I love pizza with bacon, mushrooms, and onions.
I'm always ready for a massage.
When I'm alone, I sing and dance (then again, I do that when I’m not alone).
You'd never be able to tell, but sometimes I act my age.
If I had a halo it would be made of plastic.
If I could rescue every dog needing a home, I would.
I can never dance the Macarena because I always forget the silly moves.

Find Me Here


  1. I read Lyla's short story, bought it, and it's been circulating in my sixth grade classroom. The tension between the characters, especially father and son, brings the story to life even though one of the main characters is a fairy. Keep writing, Lyla!

    1. Quite a recommendation. Thanks for stopping by and for commenting.

  2. What a great interview! I've got On Par With a Fairy on my ereader, waiting patiently for me to get to it. I look forward to reading it!

  3. Lyla, in reading this interview, it's clear you are great entertainment, so you shouldn't have any trouble gaining an audience for your books. Thanks for sharing with us. I read On Par with a Fairy, it's a fun story with plenty of 'enchantment'.

    1. Lily, thank you for saying so. It's good to hear from readers!

  4. Welcome to RLF, Lyla. Your book looks interesting, and your readers have gotten me curious to read more. ^_^ Glad to have you here today.

  5. Kayelle - Thanks so much for the interview! I had a lot of fun answering the questions (and some were really tough). Now before I get distracted, yet again, back to my current work-in-progress. :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...