December 9, 2012

Historical: Lady in Deed @AnnMontclairFanPage #amreading

Lady in Deed.

Ann Montclair, welcome to Romance Lives Forever. Let's talk about your book, Lady in Deed.
Genre: historical romance
Publisher: Musa Publishing
Cover artist: David Efaw
Length: 63k
Heat rating: 3
Tagline: Piety or passion... What's a lady to do?
Lady Mary Rutherford believed she would live her entire life as a nun. But when King Henry VIII’s reformist movement makes practicing religion a dangerous proposition, Mary is forced to begin a new life with a family she doesn't know. Worse, she must become lady of the manor, a role for which she feels sorely unprepared.
After a decade of service to his king, Lord Trenton Stanley returns home to find his estate in ruins, his fortune depleted, and his doddering father drooling over Mary--a woman Trent fears has been installed to replace his mother. Trent strives to rebuild his life, but his desire for Mary becomes a serious distraction he can’t seem to ignore.
Though Mary is anxious to prove she’s a worthy lady, she’s tempted by the rakish Trent into deeds most unladylike...
What are your main characters' names, ages, and occupations?
Lady Mary Rutherford, nineteen years old, is an ex-novitiate forced from the nunnery by a benefactor she didn't know she had.
Lord Trenton Stanley, twenty six years old, is a soldier returned to be Lord of the manor, but the manor has a new Lady--Mary. He wants to rebuild his rakish character, to become the responsible man his family intended.


Lord Trenton Stanley sat down in his coach, but unfortunately it was upon a woman.
Or maybe not unfortunately.
This woman was one of Britain’s finest. She struggled to sit up, and he shifted his weight to accommodate her. Immediately he noticed her beauty. Mounds of sunshine coloured curls piled atop her head, and large, round, sky blue eyes momentarily dizzied him. Her unlikely presence made Trenton’s loins respond lustily.
He could not believe his good fortune -- a doxy from James. That old badger. How was he to know Trent had sworn off whores? Months had passed since his last dalliance, and while his time soldiering for King Henry provided some sport, he believed his affianced deserved more than a man who slept with sluts. He thought to give up such debauchery and become what his mother and father intended -- a man of moral rectitude, a gentleman of honour. But then to be presented with this fine specimen of comely femininity. She looked delicious. Her avid eyes snapped from feature to feature, boldly studying his face in a most disconcerting way. She openly invited him with red ripe lips that pouted seductively. He didn’t hesitate.
She groaned as his mouth crushed her lips in a forceful kiss. And she fought, too. She clasped and pushed at the muscles under his wool coat and linen shirt. Her hands moved frantically like a hummingbird at spring nectar. She batted his shoulders and pummeled his chest, all while his tongue plundered her mouth, and his hands roved over her fragrant flesh. Her breath clotted when he whispered scandalous intentions in her ear. His overextended manhood pressed hard against her thigh, and she looked as if to swoon when his kisses moved from her lips to her throat to the tops of her breasts.
She beat upon his back with gloved fists. “No, Lord Stanley. Cease! Please.” Did she expect coin before the transaction was complete? Reluctantly, he pulled away.
She was magnificent in her disarray. He stared into the sensuous face, noting her delicate nose and dimpled chin. No pox marred her shimmering flesh, and her skin, soft as mink, was flawless. In fact, she appeared uncommonly clean for one in her trade. Did he smell Frankincense, the kind priests wafted at High Mass? His frank perusal rendered her speechless, and he liked the quiet type. Too bad, she looked at him as if he were part monster -- or was it part saviour?
She was certainly no ordinary whore.


How did you get your start in the industry?
Good Things Come
in Tall Packages
I got my start by being an avid reader. I loved reading so much, writing became a natural progression. I majored in English in college and got an MFA in Creative Writing which led to my career as an English professor. I had a lifelong dream to write a romance novel, and decided to “Just do it” a couple of years ago. My first published book came after three failed attempts. It was a contemporary romance titled The Billionaire’s Bauble (Soul Mate Publishing 2011).
What is the most important thing you do for your career now, as compared to when you first started writing?
Social media is a part of every writer’s life now, and I had no clue I would ever have to “facebook” or “tweet.” I have to be online most days every week in order to get my books noticed. Luckily, I enjoy it!
What websites do you visit daily?
Besides Facebook and Twitter, I visit NPR and CNN. I go to Amazon and Barnes and Noble and All Romance E-books, too. And I secretly love TMZ and Reality Tea.
If you could change something about your first book, what would it be?
Not a thing. I did the best I could at the time, and I love the story and what it says about love.
If you could choose anyone to be your mentor who would it be?
Lee Child because he’s super sexy, and I’d just love looking at him and hearing his voice.
If you could give the younger version of yourself advice what would it be?
Don’t spend so much time in the sun. You’ll wrinkle!
What is your work ethic when it comes to writing?
I am dedicated to the task. I write in fits and starts, but I always finish what I start. I also allow myself significant down time.
How do you cope with stress as an author?
I have a great career and a wonderful family, and both support me. I don’t take the writing too seriously. I enjoy it or I don’t write, so there’s very little stress. Perhaps the one thing traditionally published writers hassle is their editors. Every once in a while, I think, ‘she’s wrong,’ but I let it go and do what she says.
Oh yeah, and the other stress would be sales. I never understand how a poorly written book with a crap-cover and a weak blurb sell--and then I let that go, too. No one else’s success hurts me. Only I can hurt me. ‘Just keep writing’ gets me through most blue periods.
Do things your family or friends do ever end up in a book?
Yes. One Wet Summer is about a woman named Maura who is a champion swimmer, and that’s my daughter, Morgan. Good Things Come in Tall Packages is about an interracial couple, and they’re based on my mom and dad. Additionally one of the secondary characters in that book has Type One diabetes, and my son has it. I love those books!
Which of your books would you recommend to someone who doesn't normally read your genre, and why?
The Billionaire’s Bauble would be my first recommendation if you like sexy comedy.
Lady in Deed would be a good choice if you like visiting a different time and place.
What kind of books do you read when taking a break from your own writing?
I enjoy reading romance, mystery, and literary fiction. I love Sandra Brown, Nora Roberts, and Philippa Gregory. Their romances inspire me. I also slather over Lee Child and Harlan Coben. They have strong characters I’d follow anywhere. Kate Chopin, Alice Walker, Hemingway and Ray Carver can do no wrong. Their works teach me how language and story can work together to create true art.
What was the proudest moment of your life so far?
The proudest moment of my life was when my grown daughter got an airplane and moved to California with one duffel bag and a dream. I knew I’d raised her to be fearless, to be confident. I actually have two proud moments, if you’ll indulge me. The second would be my son’s attitude about his diabetes. He never complains or sheds a tear and faces every challenge with grace and courage. That’s why he’s my hero.
One Wet Summer
What is your favorite holiday and why?
I enjoy Valentine’s Day because it is all about hubby and me, our love, our commitment. We’ve been together since the dawn of time, and yet we still put each other first, still want to be together as much as we can.
What good book have you read recently?
I finished Northern Lights by Nora Roberts yesterday. I’m going on a road trip to Alaska this summer, and I enjoy reading anything about that most glorious state. My reading has taken the form of pre-traveling right now!
Where were you at midnight, on December 31st when the new century started?
Administering aspirin to my very sick husband. Our bang went fizzle that night. Poor baby!
What do you like to do when you're bored?
I’m never bored. I always have something to do, and if I don’t, I read or write. Can readers and writers get bored?
If you were a color, what color would you be?
Cool, soothing, gorgeous green has always been my favorite color.
Which statement is more like you?:
"I am a vacation spa because I am laid back and relaxed."
"I am a ten-countries in ten-days tour vacation, because I do things as fast as possible."

Please complete the sentences

I love pizza with thick, crispy crust.
I'm always ready for a glass of red wine.
When I'm alone, I watch “The Real Housewives...” on TV.
You'd never be able to tell, but I exercise and diet ceaselessly.
If I had a halo it would be dented.
If I could fly, I'd get over my fear of heights.
I can never say never because I am one game girl.

Previous Books

The Billionaire’s Bauble
One Wet Summer
Good Things Come in Tall Packages
Lady in Deed

Books Coming Soon

Lady is the Law
Ann Montclair


One lucky commenter will win a $5 Amazon or Barnes and Noble Gift Card--their choice.

Find Me Here


  1. Wow!

    The cover caught my eye and premise is very interesting!

    Enjoyed the excerpt and the interview!

    Congratulations on the new release!

    1. Thanks for stopping by and reading the excerpt. LID is a fun book--emotional and sexy. :)

    2. I agree with Tin - great cover. Thanks for being here Ann.

    3. Thank you for hosting me today, Kayelle. You have a beautiful web site. Very impressive!

    4. Loved the interview, Ann. Sounds very intriguing. Good luck! Emma Lane

  2. Ann,

    Nice post. Just out of curiosity - did your MFA in Creative Writing help propel your writing career along? Or do you write more from the "gut" rather than following "academic procedures"?

    (SS Hampton, Sr., Musa author)

    1. Stan, Thanks for swinging by! I appreciate the support. My MFA was concentrated in poetry, and it helped me become a better poet and to understand that writing for money is not a great goal. Writing for the sake of wanting to share a vision, encourage an idea, loving the craft, and growing with it--that's the best most writers can expect. I do use the writing process--pre-writing,drafting, revising, editing, peer response, more revising. The MFA certainly taught me to honor those tried and true steps. But, my books are far from academic. They're sensual romances, and while I've been told my diction is a bit too "academic" at times, Musa has helped me tone that tendency way down. Thanks for asking. :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...