January 19, 2013

Character Interview: Black Cat @katehillromance #RLFblog

Black Cat

Kate Hill, welcome back to Romance Lives Forever. We're excited to interview your character, Edmond Chancellor from the book, Black Cat.
Genre: Gay Romance Erotic Paranormal
Publisher: Changeling Press
Cover artist: Zuri
Length: Novella
Heat rating: Erotic
Tagline: Time is precious, even to men who are practically immortal.
Vampire Edmond Chancellor and cat shifter Tobias Crawford have had a not-so-secret affair for over three hundred years. Edmond wants to bond with Tobias permanently, but Tobias has reasons for keeping his distance.
On a chilly December night, both men turn to past memories for guidance, but it’s a present danger that makes them realize that time is precious, even to men who are practically immortal.
Buy links:
What are your main characters' names, ages, and occupations?
Edmond Chancellor, vampire, is over a thousand years old and is an antiques dealer.
Tobias Crawford, cat shifter, is over two thousand years old and earns his living through investments. He is also a hotel owner.


Tobias had hoped that by bringing his family to this new world, they would have a chance to build a life for themselves, away from the unsubstantiated hatred. The endless wilderness of this place would take generations to populate, even for creatures as ambitious as man.
His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of heavy breathing and the familiar slash of a blade through air. Tobias growled and his fur bristled. On silent feet he stalked through the snowy woods and paused behind a boulder outside a clearing. A man wearing boots, breeches and a linen shirt, damp with sweat despite the weather, practiced with a sword with a silver pommel. He had shoulder-length brown hair bound at his nape. Several tendrils had come loose and clung to his damp cheek and neck. His wide-set blue eyes gleamed in the moonlight as he fought an imaginary opponent. Tobias’ heart skipped a beat at the fierceness in those eyes.
Tobias knew this wasn’t a mere human--the man’s scent told him that. It was a deliciously powerful aroma, similar to that of an animal shifter. It was musky yet fresh but with an underlying potency-like the finest Egyptian incense. Tobias had met people with a similar scent and they were invariably dangerous.
Blood drinkers.
Tobias tensed. He hadn’t expected to find a vampire here in this untamed land. Vampires liked their creature comforts, not to mention they preferred to mark their territory in heavily populated areas where hunting was simple, plentiful, and where no one asked questions when slaves and peasants went missing.
Worst of all, Tobias knew that there was never only one vampire. Like wolves, they traveled in packs, yet unlike wolves they killed for pleasure, not simply to survive.
Tobias’ protective instincts rose. Should he attack now and rid his new home of this fiend? Yet if he did, this vampire’s kin would hunt him and his family. Although they despised most other races, vampires were fiercely loyal to their own families.
The vampire stopped his practice and stood, panting, his jewel-like eyes surveying the area.
“Who’s there?” he called in a smooth voice, neither too deep nor too high. It was perfect and Tobias resisted the urge to purr at the sound of it.
Tobias remained still, blending in the shadows.
“I know you’re there. I can smell you.”
Damn. Vampires’ senses were almost as keen as those of cat shifters.
“Show yourself, since I’ve ruined your plans for a surprise attack. Or perhaps you’ll run. I wouldn’t be surprised if you did. After all, only cowards hide in the shadows.”
Tobias nearly snorted with laughter. It was a childish taunt, designed to draw out a stupid foe. Tobias hadn’t lived thousands of years because he was stupid or merely lucky.
For several moments neither Tobias nor the vampire moved or spoke. It seemed they didn’t so much as breathe.
Then the vampire approached. Tobias considered running or attacking, but like most cats, curiosity got the better of him. He stepped from behind the boulder, directly in the path of the vampire who stopped walking, his blue eyes wide.
Tobias’ tail swished in a warning and he growled softly.
“Can’t say I expected this,” the vampire said.
Tobias circled him. The vampire turned slowly, following Tobias’ movements. He held his sword firmly, but not in an attack position. Still Tobias was prepared to dodge a blow and defend himself. He knew better than to trust a vampire.

Interview with Edmond Chancellor

Tell us about yourself. What are you like?
Edmond: I’m what’s called a rogue vampire, one who has broken ties with my family. I dislike being told what to do and I dislike judging others based on their species or being judged on mine.
What do you think is your strongest point?
Edmond: My ability to break away from my vampire family. It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. Contrary to popular belief, vampires aren’t solitary and I’ve been quite lonely living as a rogue.
What would your author say is your biggest weakness?
Edmond: Tobias has been my biggest weakness since the moment we met. My author knows this.
What drives you to do the things you do? What makes you want to be the "good guy?"
Edmond: During the first few decades of my life, I was very much like my vampire family, infected by their violence and prejudices. In 1066, an event in my life changed everything. Since then, I’ve proved that vampires don’t need to kill.
If money were not an object, where would you most like to live?
Edmond: For me money isn’t an object and I’ve chosen to live in what I believe is the best town in the world, Whisper. I founded it, so I might be a bit biased, of course.
If you were a tool, what would people use you to do?
Edmond: I hope they would use me to protect those who need it.
Picture yourself as a store. Considering your personality and lifestyle, what type of products would be sold there?
Edmond: I’m an antiques dealer, so I actually have several stores. My favorite is here in Whisper and it specializes in antique weapons, in particular swords.
As a child, what was your favorite thing about school?
Edmond: I didn’t attend school like many children nowadays. I greatly enjoyed the study of swordsmanship.
Tell us a secret about your significant other.
Edmond: Tobias is the most beautiful, enticing, stubborn man I’ve ever met. He’s a cat shifter and doesn’t easily reveal his emotions to others, even to me. I know he might never pledge his heart solely to me, but I’m willing to wait and see.
If you came with a warning label, what would it say?
Edmond: Contents under pressure.

Please complete the sentences as Edmond Chancellor

I love pizza with -- I can’t eat pizza. I’m on a liquid diet.
I'm always ready for defense against those who threaten Whisper.
When I'm alone, I wonder how long it will take before Tobias accepts my proposal.
You'd never be able to tell, but I want to be loved.
If I had a halo it would be frightening to think someone with my past could have a halo.
If I could choose one person to share my life I'd pick Tobias.
I can never return to my vampire family because they would demand I kill or be killed.

About the Author

Always a fan of romance and the paranormal, Kate Hill started writing over twenty years ago for pleasure. Her first story, a short erotic vampire tale, was accepted for publication in 1996. Since then she has sold over one hundred short stories, novellas, and novels.
When she's not working on her books, Kate enjoys reading, working out and spending time with her family and pets. She enjoys hearing from readers.

Previous Books

Whisper 1: Dragon’s Bar
Whisper 2: Bronzed
Whisper 3: Mating Call

Books Coming Soon

Weapons of Redemption 1: Whips and Chains (January 2013) (Writing as Saloni Quinby)


To enter for the chance to win a pdf download of one of the first three books in the Whisper series (winner’s choice of title), post a comment here. At 11pm EST on January 19, 2013, a winner will be chosen at random from the entries.

Find Me Here


  1. I've read Dragon's Bar and Bronzed, great books. I love the idea of Whisper being a safe haven for supernatural beings of all types.


    1. I like that too. The whisper is a great idea!

  2. I liked the excerpt.

  3. Thank you, Jo! I'm glad you liked the sound of it!

    Thank you, Anonymous and Portland! :-)

  4. I love the concept of two gentle men so very old., Imagine the fun you could have and not worry about getting old.
    debby236 at gmail dot com

  5. Hi Debby! Thank you! They were a lot of fun to write about.

  6. Congratulations, Jo! You're the contest winner.
    Thank you to everyone who stopped by and thank you, Kayelle, for having me as a guest!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...