January 16, 2013

GLBT Romance: Comfort and Joy @CharleyDescote #RLFblog

Comfort and Joy

Charley Descoteaux, welcome to Romance Lives Forever. Let's talk about your book, Comfort and Joy.
Publisher: Etopia Press
Genre: M/M Erotic Romance
Cover artist: Valerie Tibbs
Length: 10,195 words
Heat rating: 4
Tagline: How much love does it take to heal the wounds of hate?
Sam and Charlie have been together over a decade, and their commitment to each other has only grown stronger through the years. But love isn't always easy, and eighteen months after a violent assault, their fairy-tale relationship is still struggling. Charlie can’t shake the lingering fear of attracting more violence by displaying affection, and he's angry at himself for not getting past it. Sam would do anything to help Charlie feel better--if only he knew what that was.
The century-old farmhouse in Northwest Oregon is the perfect place to spend the holidays with Sam’s family, but it was their refuge after the attack, and it still holds painful memories of those difficult first months. Christmas should be a joyful time, but even being surrounded by people who love him isn’t enough to make Charlie feel safe. He could try to keep to himself, but even if Sam agreed to give him the space he needs, Sam’s warm and loving family might not. And even though they agreed not to exchange gifts, Sam has a surprise up his sleeve that he hopes will make everything merry and bright. But he may end up more surprised than Charlie before the week is out…
Buy links:

What are your main characters' names, ages, and occupations?
Sam White and Charlie Price are both 28 and professional musicians.


Sam continued up the stairs, considering how to go about putting Charlie’s perfect ass on a piano bench became entangled with the unfortunate fact that as long as they slept upstairs they would be showering separately. He gave Charlie first chance at the hot water and then sped through his shower as fast as he could. Sam stopped just inside the bedroom door and closed it quietly. He towelled his hair and let his gaze linger on Charlie, lying still on top of the quilt, bare feet on the floor, partially covered with a green towel. A slice of moonlight filtered through the curtain on the opposite wall and across Charlie's body, which was a work of art even when not bathed in romantic mood-lighting. After a few moments Sam realized Charlie was also watching him.
Charlie flipped the towel up and away from his body and Sam felt as though someone had just grabbed him by the throat. After barely a heartbeat’s hesitation he strode to the foot of the bed and leaned over Charlie to kiss him. Sam’s free hand caressed his slender chest and shoulders. When he felt goose bumps Sam lowered himself over Charlie but kept all his weight on both knees and one hand.
Sam moaned softly and moved his dark hand over the fair skin on Charlie’s abs. He hadn’t regained any of the bulk he’d lost but made up for it with dizzying definition and a solidity he hadn’t had before.
“Vanilla ice cream.” Sam began to kiss his way down Charlie’s chest and felt a cool hand on his head exerting a gentle pressure, urging him lower.
“You’re lactose intolerant.”
Sam looked up and grinned for a short moment, then slipped down even farther. “I’ll just have to lick you instead.”
Comfort and Joy


Tell us about your latest book, including its genre. Does it cross over to other genres? If so, what are they?
Comfort and Joy, m/m erotic romance, is the story of an established couple, Sam and Charlie, and their struggle to heal the lingering effects of an assault and re-capture the joy of their love for each other while celebrating Christmas with Sam's family.
How do you come up with ideas?
Coming up with ideas is the easy part. I've gotten ideas from things people say, music, random things I see while on public transportation. The hard part is deciding which ones would make the best stories. I admit, I'm not always sure about that. Take my current WIP: it's a paranormal erotic romance with mystery elements. I've never written anything like it before so I have no way to know if it's any good until it's finished and I start sending it out.
What is the single most important part of writing for you?
It proves that I'm not insane. *lol* At least it proved that to me, because I've had characters in my head all my life. When I was a kid sometimes that worried me, but now it's just awesome.
Where do you start when writing? Research, plotting, outline, or...?
I’m not a big plotter so I usually start with a character and a feeling. With Comfort and Joy, I wanted to write a Christmas story that celebrates family and love and all that good stuff. I added a couple I’d known for a while and just started writing. It doesn’t always work out, but this time it did.
If you could give the younger version of yourself advice what would it be?
Your home doesn’t have to be clean, write more!
Is your muse demanding?
Sometimes -- usually at night when I'm trying to sleep! He gives me a lot of wonderful material to work with, but is even more of a night owl than I am. His sweet spot is between 11 p.m. and 2 or 3 a.m. which makes it hard when I have to get up early.
Are your stories driven by plot or character?
Most often, by character. Most people have defining moments in their lives, and so do characters. These are where good stories come from.
That said, my current WIP started out very plot-driven. I knew what I wanted the world to be like but it took a while to get to know the characters who live there and I'm still learning! It was fun going about it in such a different way.
How do you balance a life outside of writing with deadlines and writing muses?
Balance? I'm not good at that. If I could, I'd spend most of every day writing. Unfortunately, I can't do that so I have to make lists of things that I can't let slide and force myself to do those first, like grocery shopping and cooking dinner. It works more often than not, although I do have a long history of transferring items to several lists before they get done. To paraphrase Tyler Durden, it's about letting the truly unimportant things slide.
What is the craziest thing you did as a kid, and would it ever end up in a book?
Well, kid is a relative term. In my late teens and early twenties I did a lot of experimenting to try and figure out my sexuality. Some of that will definitely end up in a book, or maybe several!
What are some jobs you've done that would end up in a book?
I’ve had a lot of strange jobs, or at least jobs that brought me in contact with strange people. I’ve been a bartender and a waitress, worked in book stores, flower shops, and a three-person newspaper office. Some of these have popped up in stories, and I’m sure more will in the future!
What do you hope readers take with them after reading your work?
I’m not sure, but I hope they’ll tell me what they do take with them. I’d love to hear from any reader anytime!
List two authors we would find you reading when taking a break from your own writing.
Like most writers I love to read. I read a lot of YA because those authors are amazing at writing a tightly-plotted story. My favorites are Holly Black, Sarah Rees Brennan and John Green. I also love reading LGBT fiction and M/M Romance. My favorites are Tara Lain because she makes me laugh and Amy Lane because she makes me cry.
If you were a tool, what would people use you to do?
I really wanted to tackle this one, but the perfect answer escapes me. It never fails, the ideas come faster than I can write them down as long as I'm not trying to write about myself! *lol*
As a child, what was your favorite thing about school?
Everything! I loved school and was a shameless apple-polisher. Teachers and librarians are still some of my favorite people. I was one of those nerdy kids who wanted to write reports about what I saw while playing in the back yard!
If money were not an object, where would you most like to live?
I'd love to have a cute little cottage on the Oregon Coast. My dream house is a cozy single-story three bedroom with weathered blue-gray wood siding, beach access and a big old tree in the back yard.
Picture yourself as a store. Considering your personality and lifestyle, what type of products would be sold there?
I'd be one of those dusty little antique shops run by a little old lady who has no idea what things are truly worth. Everything from ornate gilt frames to used books to kitschy statues and vintage hats and purses would cram the shelves, and if you really loved something it would be at a price you could afford. Either that or the store mentioned on The Daily Show last week, "Chocolate, Blowjobs & Beyond".

Please complete the sentence

I love pizza with pepperoni, salami, olives and mushrooms.
I'm always ready for some smash-mouth football.
When I'm alone, I blast metal or club mixes and dance around while I clean house.
You'd never be able to tell, but I have an inner-preppie who pines for argyle and houndstooth everything.
If I had a halo it would be rainbow-colored plastic from the dollar store and a little squished.
If I could be a guy for a day I'd fool around with as many dudes as possible, and knit in public.
I can never judge anyone for being strange because it's a safe bet I'm stranger than they are.


Charley Descoteaux
One random commenter will get a copy of my debut novella with Etopia Press, Comfort and Joy! Bonus entry for anyone who also suggests a book in this genre: m/m paranormal erotic romance without vampires or shifters, or has a good answer to the “tool” question.

Find Me Here


  1. The book sounds amazing, like one that will really touch your heart.
    debby236 at gmail dot com

    1. Thanks, Debby! I love it when a story makes me feel something and I try to do the same when I write.

    2. Hi, Debby! Good to see you again. Thanks for being here today.

  2. This book sounds like a great read. I love finding new authora and books.

    1. Hey, Laura! Check your email for a message from me. ^_^

    2. Thanks, Laura!
      I feel the same way -- someone finding *me* seems a little unreal, but very cool! *lol*

  3. Wow, your story sounds amazing and I love this interview!! Your book is moving up my TBR pile as I type this!!

    1. Thanks for coming over today, Barb. ^_^

    2. Thanks, Barb! Kayelle is just fabulous and I'm so thrilled to be here!

  4. I enjoyed your book. You've a real gift for expressing emotion. I adore your wit as well. Hope to hear more of you this year.

    1. Glad you dropped by, Susan. Nice to have you here today.

    2. Thanks so much, Susan! I hope to have another story out before long. :)

  5. Great post and the story sounds brilliant!

  6. I am so honored to be the author who makes you laugh!! Great interview and thanks to both you and Kayelle for the fun and engaging questions. I'm walking around thinking "what kind of store an i?" LOL And please enter me in the contest! I want to win! LOL : )

    1. Thanks, Tara! I'm happy to be your "opening act" & looking forward to your interview tomorrow. I'm sure you'd be a fabulous store. :)

  7. Charley, brill as ever but know what...leave the house, leave the dust and (doo de do...do..) write, specially when you do it so well xx

    1. Thanks, Shehanne! The dust is in no danger of being disturbed anytime soon. :)

  8. Great interview Charley. I know what you mean, I wish I could just write all day too!

    1. Thanks, Anne! Wouldn't that be amazing? Imagine all the wonderful stories we could write! :)

  9. Thanks, Kayelle, for having me -- it was a lot of fun!

    And thanks to everyone who stopped by, whether you left a comment or not.

    Now for the best part -- my winner! I used Random.org to generate a number and the winner is Debby! Check your e-mail and let me know the format you'd like and I'll zip it right out to you.

  10. books sounds great, so many books, so little time.
    vera28546 at yahoo (dot) com


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...