January 9, 2013

Paranormal Shifter: A Place to Belong @JaneWakely #rlfblog

A Place to Belong.
Jane Wakely, welcome to Romance Lives Forever. Let's talk about your book, A Place to Belong.
Genre: Paranormal/Shifter Romance
Buy links:
Publisher: Silver Publishing
Cover artist: Reese Dante
Length: 13900 words
Heat rating: 2 Flames
Maggie, a professional photographer, has always been a loner. After spending the day on Mount Brighton, her car dies. Setting out to walk for help, she encounters a mountain lion intent on keeping her where she is.
Chris is a mountain lion shifter on his way home. Nearing the road, a car catches his attention. Intense feelings arise as he realizes the woman inside the stranded car is his mate. He has to find a way to stop her from leaving.
Maggie and Chris share a strong connection, but Maggie isn’t sure if she should trust it. She has to decide whether or not to stay with Chris or let her insecurities and her past rule her future.
What are your main characters' names, ages, and occupations?
Maggie is a professional photographer and Chris is a park ranger. Both are in their mid-twenties.


No! No! No! Maggie screamed inside her head as her car slowed down. One minute she was cruising down the two-lane mountain road heading back home, the next her car shut off, losing all power, and she was coasting to a stop. She knew she had to pull over or be stuck in the middle of the road. Of course, that might not matter too much; she hadn’t seen a car anywhere near her in over an hour.
Steering was almost impossible, but she managed to turn the wheel enough so she was aiming for the shoulder of the road. By the time she realized she’d overshot it, it was too late. She slammed on the brakes at the same time her car drove into a ditch. The car stopped abruptly and her head hit the steering wheel.
Instantly Maggie’s head started to throb and she brought her hand up to rub the spot. Feeling something wet, she pulled her hand away. Blood. She opened her glove box to get a napkin that quickly soaked with blood. She replaced it with another and reminded herself that head wounds always bled a lot. As another napkin became soaked, Maggie thought about her options.
It was almost four and that meant the sun would be setting soon. Even though it was October and the sun warmed the daylight hours, the nights got chilly in the Northeast—and dark. Maggie looked around. Dense trees lined the road on both sides. She imagined how dark it would get when the sun fully set, and she shuddered. Even with the moonlight above, those trees would be a dark wall that she wouldn’t be able to see past. Maggie hated the dark and her pulse sped up as she thought about being stranded after nightfall.
Her head still throbbed, but she wasn’t one to sit around and feel sorry for herself, though that’s exactly what she wanted to do. Maggie popped the hood and got out of the car. Looking under the hood was a logical thing to do when your car stops on the side of the road—if you know anything about cars, which she didn’t. She raised the hood, hoping to see something that looked obviously out of place to her untrained eyes. Maybe she just needed to tighten something. She might as well have tried brain surgery. She didn’t even know what she was looking at. Blowing out a sigh, she closed the hood, walked back to sit in the driver’s seat and grabbed a clean napkin for her head.
Maggie had been shooting pictures for most of the day up on this mountain. She had enough diversity in her shots that she could offer different spreads to the zoo and the top two wildlife magazines. It had been a productive day.
Unfortunately, once she’d seen the mountain cats, she hadn’t paid attention to how far she had gone. Throughout the day, she’d continued up the road, stopping for pictures frequently. Now she wasn’t even sure where the nearest town was. Only one road would lead her to town, but trees partially concealed so many of the roads, she may have already missed the one that would take her home. She should have been paying more attention when she drove up.
She also should have been more prepared. Her cell phone was in her purse, but the dead battery made it useless.
Maggie knew she had to do something; she couldn’t sit here all night. After gathering her purse and her camera bag, she got out of the car. Walking down the road and hoping she would find the path that led down the mountain was her only option. Maybe if she got closer to town, she would have a better chance of finding help.
Christmas Hope
When she started walking, she heard a very loud growl from behind the trees just a few feet away. Much closer than those cats she was taking pictures of earlier, it sounded like it was right beside her. She looked to her right and a mountain lion stepped through the trees and stopped at the tree line. She froze as fear raced down her spine. If that cat decided to chase her, she wouldn’t get very far. Even if she ran back to her car, she had locked the door and would never get it open in time. Besides, running was a sure way to provoke a mountain cat into attacking. She decided to ignore the cat, and continue walking. She took two steps before another, louder noise filled the air. It wasn’t a roar; it was more like a scream. If she hadn’t seen the cat, she would have thought some other animal made that noise. He didn’t move, but she knew it was a warning. He didn’t want her going anywhere.
Maggie looked at him and decided her best option was to go back to her car. She didn’t want to get eaten by a mountain lion for not following orders. Following orders! She laughed at herself as she made her way back to her car door. The cat didn’t do anything but continue to watch her with eyes that seemed all-knowing. She unlocked the door and got back inside.


How do you come up with ideas?
Most of my ideas come from daydreaming. I’m constantly creating scenarios in my mind--some made up and some from things I see. When I do this, the people have no features or characteristics. If the scenario comes back to me, then I start giving definition to the characters and adding more to their scenes.
What do you enjoy most about writing?
I enjoy writing love stories. The best part about writing a book is figuring out how my characters are going to get their happy ever after.
Where do you start when writing? Research, plotting, outline, or...?
I consider myself more of a pantser than a plotter, but first I have to have a solid scene that I think I can do something with. After I’ve created a scenario I can work with, I make a loose outline (sometimes on paper and sometimes in my head.) If I need to research something big, I do that next; then I start writing.
Would you consider self publishing?
I have already self-published two short stories, so yes! My erotic short, One Night With You, was written specifically to give self-publishing a try. I self-published Christmas Hope after getting the rights back and giving it a brand new edit and cover.
If you could give the younger version of yourself advice what would it be?
Don’t stop writing. I took a break from writing for almost twenty years. During that time, I continued to create scenes, characters and outlines but for varying reasons I didn’t write them down or make writing my career. It’s something that I still regret.
If I was a first time reader of your books, which one would you recommend I start with and why?
I recommend readers start with A Place to Belong. It’s got a sexy mountain cat shifter—enough said. ;)
List two authors we would find you reading when taking a break from your own writing.
Dana Marie Bell and Cynthia Eden. I love all genres of romance and will read any author if the book sounds good, but the paranormal worlds that these two authors create always inspire me.
If money were not an object, where would you most like to live?
Actually, I like where I’m living now and don’t want to move. However, if I had the money I would travel to England, Ireland and Scotland. I’ve always wanted to visit those three countries.
Picture yourself as a store. Considering your personality and lifestyle, what type of products would be sold there?
Pencils, pens, fancy notebooks, calendars, post-its, notepads, and coffee.
As a child, what was your favorite thing about school?
In elementary school, math was my favorite subject. As I got older, English became my favorite.
If you came with a warning label, what would it say?
Do not engage until coffee has been consumed.
One Night With You

Please Fill in the Blanks

I love pizza with pepperoni and extra cheese.
I'm always ready for coffee.
When I'm alone, I write or read.
You'd never be able to tell, but I love fancy teacups.
If I had a halo it would be perfectly straight. ;)

Previous Books

One Night With You (Contemporary/Erotic/Interracial/Romance) is available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Christmas Hope (Contemporary/Sweet/Holiday/Romance) is available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Books Coming Soon

I don’t have any release dates to share, but I’m working on several projects I hope to share with readers soon. Among these is a new shifter series, a vampire romance, and more Mount Brighton Cats.

Find Me Here


  1. Thanx so much for the re-feature, Kayelle--it's great to be here again! :)

    Also, I have book news! "Jenn's Wolf" is being released in March from Rebel Ink Press! WOOT! :)

    1. Oooh, fun! That will be great. Thanks for sharing it, Jane!

  2. Hi Kayelle! Hi Jane! Great interview!
    Jane, I have read your other books and love them! Especially "A Place to Belong". I can't wait to read "Jenn's Wolf"!


  3. Hi Ali!

    Thanx for visiting and for your kind comments about my books! I'm glad you enjoyed them! The shifters are my faves too and I hope you'll enjoy "Jenn's Wolf" as well! :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...