March 28, 2013

Contemporary: Only You | Interview @PeelLorna #RLFblog

Only You

Lorna Peel, welcome to Romance Lives Forever. Let's talk about your book, Only You.
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Entranced Publishing
Cover artist: Suzannah Safi
Length: 52,000 words
Heat rating: Sweet Romance
Tagline: Only You follows divorced thirty-something, Jane Hollinger, as she is shoved back into the dating world by family and friends, and discovers that her fantasy love is more attainable than she ever imagined.
Blurb: Jane Hollinger is single, divorced, and the wrong side of thirty – as she puts it. Her friends are pressuring her to dive back into London’s dating pool, but she’s content with her quiet life as a genealogy teacher.
Robert Armstrong is every woman’s fantasy: handsome, charming, rich and famous. When he asks her to meet him, she convinces herself it’s because he needs her help with a mystery in his family tree. Soon she realizes he’s interested in more than her genealogical expertise. Now the paparazzi want a piece of Jane too.
Can Jane handle living -- and loving -- in the spotlight?
Buy links:
What are your main characters' names, ages, and occupations?
Jane Hollinger, aged 31, genealogy teacher
Robert Armstrong, aged 38, actor


An hour and twenty minutes later, Jane was sitting in The Crown -- a pub she had never been in before -- nursing a pineapple juice. Five minutes passed. Then five more. She was on the verge of leaving when she saw Mitch weaving his way through the tables towards her.
“Sorry, Jane. I don’t think I’ll ever be used to contact lenses.” No trace of the Cockney accent. “Let me get you a drink. Same again?”
“Pineapple juice, thank you.”
He returned with two pineapple juices. As he sat down, he went to rub his bloodshot eyes, then clearly thought better of it, and grimaced.
“I’m sorry for deceiving you,” he began. “And I’m even more sorry for frightening you the way I did. I come to the classes straight off the set. Frighten myself sometimes when I look in the mirror.”
“You frighten the hell out of me…” Her voice trailed off as she realized she still didn’t know his real name.
“Robert. Robert Armstrong.” He extended an arm to shake her hand.
Jane stared at his outstretched hand. No, it couldn’t be. He, or rather, the character he played in her favorite TV series, had been the first man to make her blush since Tom had left her. Both Mags and Carol had teased her unmercifully over it.
She continued to stare at his hand. There was something not quite natural about it. Then the penny dropped. It was make-up! Her eyes traveled up his arm. Make-up there, too. Bloody hell, he was covered in the stuff! Every bare patch of skin was lathered in what looked like very pale foundation. Relieved that it was only make-up and not some kind of bizarre skin disease, she reached out and shook it.
“The other night…I was watching The Lady of the Woods.” For the ten millionth time.
“I see. Good. I hope you enjoyed it?”
“It is you, isn’t it – as Simon Moore?”
“Yes, it’s me.”
“Your make up person deserves an Oscar.”
He laughed. “I’ll tell her that!”
“Because you look atrocious.”
“Thank you,” he replied and she flushed.


How did you get your start in the industry?
I’ve always had quite an lively imagination. When I was little I made up stories in my head for my dolls to act out. I’ve been writing those stories down since I was nineteen.I had a contemporary short story published in Woman’s Way (an Irish women’s magazine) back in 1996. A scan of it is now up on my Facebook Page and blog. I was doing a writing course at the time and had to submit a number of short stories to magazines and I was lucky enough to get one published. The course was interesting but it made me realize that I prefer to write longer prose and I decided to try and see if I could get a novel published.
What websites do you visit daily?
My website and blog, Facebook, Twitter, and various news websites as I’m a bit of a news junkie!
What do you enjoy most about writing?
Being able to create new characters and the worlds they inhabit. And then being able to play God with them! *evil laugh*
What is your work ethic when it comes to writing?
Try and write something every day, even if it’s only random notes or bits of dialogue in a notebook.
How do you cope with stress as an author?
As a new author, I haven’t really encountered author stress yet, but I’d try and cope by taking regular breaks.
What kind of books do you read when taking a break from your own writing?
Historical novels, crime novels, and historical crime novels, like the Matthew Shardlake series by C.J. Sansom.
Imagine you get to go on a dream vacation, but you have only one hour to pack and leave, and it starts as soon as you finish this interview. What will you take with you and where will you go?
Either Canada or Australia. I have relatives in both countries and I’d love to visit some day, so I’d have to buy summer clothes for Australia (I live in Ireland and we don’t get summers anymore!) and summer/winter clothes for Canada, depending on the time of year.
What good book have you read recently?
Lionheart by Sharon Kay Penman and The Secrets of Pain by Phil Rickman.
What do you like to do when you're bored?
If I’m not writing or surfing the internet, and if it happens to be dry outside, then go for a long walk.
If you were a color, what color would you be?
Purple – I love it, it is such a vibrant colour.
Please underline which statement is more like you:
"I am a vacation spa because I am laid back and relaxed."
"I am a ten-countries in ten-days tour vacation, because I do things as fast as possible."

Please complete the sentences

Lorna Peel
I love pizza with vegan cheese. Well, I don’t actually love it, and I’m not a vegan either, but I can’t eat ordinary cheese so I make do with the vegan stuff. It’s a bit like old window putty as it doesn’t melt properly so it just looks like an orange blob but I can’t imagine pizza without some kind of cheese on it!
I'm always ready for another mug of coffee!
When I'm alone, I either write, or plot, or both!
You'd never be able to tell, but I have a torn medial ligament in my right knee. It flares up from time to time if I do too much walking.
If I had a halo it would be a bit wonky! I played an angel in a Nativity Play when I was small, but that was the end of my association with angels!
If I could find the time I'd buy a camper van and explore more of Ireland and the UK.
I can never have too many books because I’m a bit of a book hoarder!

Find Me Here


  1. Welcome, Lorna. I loved your "halo" answer. LOL

  2. I've done a lot of genealogy research myself, so you've got me fascinated from the get-go.

    1. A few of my cousins have done that with one side of our family and it's amazing how far back you can trace. I bet most people have no idea who their ancestors are, or how names have changed over the generations.

  3. Replies
    1. Hi Melinda! Thanks for popping in today. :)

  4. Thanks for interviewing me, Kayelle!

  5. Vegan cheese! How tasty is that? Can't wait to read Only You.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...