April 5, 2013

What Took Brita Addams So Long? @britaaddams #RLFblog

For Men Like Us
Romance Lives Forever welcomes Brita Addams to the blog for an article on why it takes so long to write.

What took me so long?

I have asked myself that question many times. Given that I've read all my life and aspired to be a writer since middle school, even I am astounded that it took me so many years to actually sit down and write for publication.
The simple explanation is that I didn't feel I had anything to say, but, as I said, that is the simple answer and partially untrue. The truth of the matter is, I never knew my niche. My thoughts were scattered to the four winds, interests in any number of directions, and nothing concrete to anchor me.
Then along comes life and that conspired to put my passion for the written word on the back burner, save for the constancy of reading.
There was also the niggle in the back of my head, that I couldn't cut it. In seventh grade, my teacher, Mr. Green, sent one of my short stories off to a famous writer, Hal Borland. I had no idea until Mr. G. called me to his desk one day and showed me the paper, with myriad comments in the margins, most of them positive, others constructive. He explained that he thought the paper good enough to send to Borland, author of one of the books we had read in English class. The final comment, at the bottom of the page, was, "This girl has talent and shows great promise."
Excited, I took the paper home and showed it to my father. Now, Dad wasn't a particularly encouraging fellow, having never overcome his lifelong depression and issues that followed him to the grave. He was also a frustrated writer, though he never got past the first draft stage in anything he ever wrote. Anyway, he looked at the paper, got very angry, and ripped it up. Amid mutters of "wasted time," he stalked off, leaving me upset and discouraged.
Now I say this because I hope that others won't let something like that to do then what it did to me. I never wrote another word, save for continual journals and articles for the local newspaper. Every time I picked up a pen, I heard those words that my father had said. Isn't it strange how words meant to hurt often drown out even the most encouraging?
In later years, I often wrote letters for friends who'd read things I had written, but that was the extent of it. Something was missing, something that lived in my heart, while I refused to let grow. My husband and I raised our children and went on with life. I still read constantly, but by then, life was so busy, that writing wasn't even a blip on the radar.
One year for my birthday, my husband gave me several of Philippa Gregory's books, particularly The Other Boleyn Girl and Earthly Joys. I have always loved non-fiction, have read biographies and historical accounts for as long as I can remember. I hadn't, however, read romance. Gregory combines both, taking real people and creating circumstances around them that tell a story that has some grounding in the truth.
After devouring everything I could by Gregory, I sought out other historical romances, not particularly worried if they featured actual people, historical was enough for me. Oh, my, did my world open up. I discovered Mary Balogh, Lisa Kleypas, and so many other wonderful authors, and I couldn't get enough.
After reading hundreds of historical romances, my creativity came to life. I started plotting stories long after I turned the light off at night. I got excited and told my husband about the stories and patient man that he is, he listened. One day, he asked me, "Do you think you could write a book?"
Thank God he did, because I haven't stopped since.

Previous Books

Tarnished Gold
Tarnished Gold
In 1915, starstruck Jack Abadie strikes out for the gilded streets of the most sinful town in the country—Hollywood. With him, he takes a secret that his country hometown would never understand. 
After years of hard work and a chance invitation to a gay gentlemen's club, Jack is discovered. Soon, his talent, matinee idol good looks, and affable personality propel him to the height of stardom. But fame breeds distrust. 
Meeting Wyatt Maitland turns Jack’s life upside down. He wants to be worthy of his good fortune, but old demons haunt him. Only through Wyatt's strength can Jack face that which keeps him from being the man he wants to be. Love without trust is empty. 
As the 1920s roar, scandals rock the movie industry. Public tolerance of Hollywood's decadence has reached its limit. Under pressure to clean up its act, Jack’s studio issues an ultimatum. Either forsake the man he loves and remain a box office darling, or follow his heart and let his shining star fade to tarnished gold.
Read an excerpt and purchase the Tarnished Gold ebook or print, signed by the author (if one of the first twenty sold.)
ForMen Like Us, which takes place during the Regency in England. You can find it at Dreamspinner Press. Just click the title to be magically transported.
For Men Like Us
After Preston Meacham’s lover dies trying to lend him aid at Salamanca, hopelessness becomes his only way of life. Despite his best efforts at starting again, he has no pride left, which leads him to sell himself for a pittance at a molly house. The mindless sex affords him his only respite from the horrors he witnessed.
The Napoleonic War left Benedict Wilmot haunted by the acts he was forced to commit and the torture he endured at the hands of a superior, a man who used the threat of a gruesome death to force Ben to do his bidding. Even sleep gives Ben no reprieve, for he can’t escape the destruction he caused.
When their paths cross, Ben feels an overwhelming need to protect Preston from his dangerous profession. As he explains, “The streets are dangerous for men like us.” 
Serenity's Dream
Lucien and Serenity – the rewritten, expanded version of the first book in my Sapphire Club series.
Serenity Damrill has returned to her husband, Lucien after a ten-year absence. She carries with her a secret that could destroy her life and possibly all that Lucien has built.
Lucien was quite happy in his life running the Sapphire Club and has no need for the frigid wife who deserted him the day after they were married.
Can Lucien teach Serenity that her fear of the marriage bed is unfounded? Will Serenity's secret be the death knell for their marriage? 
You can purchase Serenity's Dream – Lucien and Serenity at Amazon

About the Author

Born in Upstate New York, Brita Addams has made her home in the sultry south for many years. Brita's home is a happy place, where she lives with her real-life hero, her husband, and a fat cat named Stormee. She writes, for the most part, erotic historical romance, both het and m/m, which is an ideal fit, given her love of British and American history. Setting the tone for each historical is important. Research plays an indispensible part in the writing of any historical work, romance or otherwise. A great deal of reading and study goes into each work, to give the story the authenticity it deserves.
As a reader, Brita prefers historical works, romances and otherwise. She believes herself born in the wrong century, though she says she would find it difficult to live without air conditioning. Brita and her husband love to travel, particularly cruises and long road trips. They completed a Civil War battlefield tour a couple of years ago, and have visited many places involved in the American Revolutionary War.
In May, 2013, they are going to England for two weeks, to visit the places Brita writes about in her books, including the estate that inspired the setting for her Sapphire Club series. Not the activities, just the floor plan. A bit of trivia – Brita pronounces her name, B-Rita, like the woman's name, and oddly, not like the famous water filter.


Ebook giveaways at each stop. Random commenter's choice from my backlist
Serenity's Dream
Signed 8x10 glossies of Jack Abadie
Grand Prize is a Kindle, along with the winner's choice of five (5) of my backlist titles, sent to them by email.
Leave a comment at one or all the stops. At each stop, a random commenter will be selected to win their choice of backlist book (Tarnished Gold excluded.) This selection will be made daily throughout the tour, except where blog owners wish to extend the eligibility. Be sure to leave an email address in your comment. 
All names of commenters and their email addresses will be put into the drawing for the Kindle, even if they have won the daily drawing. The more comments you make the more chances you have to win.
Other prizes include five (5) 8x10 glossies of Jack Abadie, signed. The winners will be selected on April 10, from all the commenters at all the stops, and notified by email.
The Grand Prize winner will be selected on April 10th and notified by email. Once I have heard from the winner and obtained a shipping address, I will order the Kindle and have it shipped directly to the winner. They will also be eligible to select five (5) of my backlist titles and I will email them to the winner.
Contest valid in the United States.
Full schedule for the Tarnished Gold Virtual BookTour

Find Me Here


  1. thanks for being here Brita!

  2. Hi Brita!

    Thanks for sharing this – I can totally relate, although my hindrance came later - my husband! I wrote all the time growing up, even through high school and college, and like you, life got in the way, once I met my DH. He's not a reader, hates it in fact, so he always thought it was a waste of time and money. So glad I ignored him!

    And I'm just as glad you got back to it – I'd hate to think we might not have had the chance to enjoy your wonderful books! :)


    1. Reading is a solitary pleasure most of the time. Good you persevered, Gianna. :)

    2. Hi Gianna,

      Nice to see you here. I am sorry to hear about your hubs discouragement. It particularly hurts when it comes from someone you love.

      Thank you for your wonderful compliment re: my books. I'm so happy you enjoy them. Makes the solitary time so much nicer.


  3. I've always identified with late bloomers, so I like this post. There's something to be said for knowing when the time is right!


    1. How true! Thanks for popping in.

    2. Late bloomer, that's me. Yes, biding your time pays off in amazing ways.

  4. Brita you have a juicy morsel going with Tarnished Gold, if the excerpt is any guide! Hope I get to read the full volume before your vacation starts. Then...I'll have For Men Like Us to hold me over…how long does it take to write, edit, and publish another book? LOL!
    Seriously, both books are tantalizing.

    1. Tarnished Gold is available right now, from Dreamspinner. http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=3667&cPath=55_653

      Tarnished Gold took me nearly a year, including the research I did. I read dozen of books and seemingly hundreds of websites for this fact or that. From acceptance at the publisher to publication, it took 5 months.

      I am working on a second book in the Tarnished series, Tarnished Soul, and hopefully, I will have it to the publisher by the fall. HOPEFULLY. Then it is up to them, if they accept it, when it will be published.

      Thanks for stopping by. You didn't leave your email address though. :)

    2. Every book is different -- I have a couple that took a few months. One has taken years.

  5. Max Thomas
    I love erotic romance and Sci-Fi. Maybe could take the transporter to Europe?

    1. That is an idea! I'm not into reading Sci-fi, but I love Dr. Who and Torchwood. LOVE IT. Go figure.

    2. I'm with you on that wish! :)

  6. I'm a bit sorry to hear you never got the words of encouragement you were seeking from your father but I'm glad to see that your husband rectified all that by making a suggestion and planting the idea in your head. Thank you for sharing this story with us.

    humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

    1. My dad struggled with his demons, sometimes with things that I still don't understand. I am a firm believer in things happening for a reason, so his discouragement doesn't sting as it used to. Yes, my husband is my rock, my life, my heartbeat. I can't imagine my life without him.

      H.B., I am honored to share. Your support, and everyone else's make me smile and spark plot bunnies all the time. LOL


  7. Nice post. It's never too late.

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    1. You are so right about that. Thank God for that!

    2. So true. I got a late start too. Kept thinking I had this or that to do first, finally realized I just needed to go for it.

  8. I'm glad you were able to begin this new chapter as a writer despite these obstacles! It really is never too late to follow your passion! I'm glad your hubby was supportive where others were not.
    OceanAkers @ aol.com

    1. It's great to have someone in your corner. :)

    2. Where are we without obstacles, right? I'm better for them, I think. My hubby - ah hum. Sheer heaven! We celebrate our 33rd anniversary this year and I can only hope for hundreds more!

  9. It may have taken longer than you thought, but it is well worth it when it comes to the quality of your work.


    1. That's a great compliment, Crissy.

    2. Indeed it is a great compliment. Thank you Crissy. I'm truly touched that you feel that way.

      Yes, sometimes, it's best to wait for the things you truly want.

      Thank you, Kayelle, for having me! I love coming to visit you.

      Hugs all around. I will be picking a winner of a book on Monday, April 8.

  10. (I know it's too late to comment for the giveaway, but I wanted to leave a comment anyway.)

    Brita, what a poignant story that was about your writing. It always amazes me how one moment can mean so much to our lives. Sometimes it's for good, but often it's for ill.

    It reminds me how someone will have said something mean to another, but the person who spoke the words will have forgotten them quickly after they're spoken. It's the person who the comments are aimed at who will often hear the echoes for the rest of her life. I forget who said this, but something about the "internal soundtrack" we play over and over throughout our lives. It's very difficult to overcome that, especially when it's said by someone we love and when we're too young to have a clear understanding.

    I'm so glad you've changed that soundtrack and have given your readers your wonderful thoughts and stories.

  11. Thank you Carolyn. Yes, I so agree with internal soundtrack. I used to tell my children that I wanted them to always hear that "Mama love you." That came out of my own experiences, most often in the opposite direction. The last thing I say to my children, who are all grown now, two with children of their own, is "I love you," when we hang up the phone or visit. It makes a huge difference in people's lives and it costs nothing to say it. Actually, it costs more if you don't.

    You gave me a blog post topic! Internal Soundtrack. Thanks m'dear.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...