May 8, 2013

Character Interview: Devin Jones @SynithiaW #RLFblog

A Heart to Heal 

Synithia Williams, welcome to Romance Lives Forever. We're excited to interview your character, Devin Jones from the book, A Heart to Heal.
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Crimson Romance
Cover artist: Crimson Romance
Length: approx 240 pages
Heat rating: Sensual
Shayla Monroe fled her hometown of Helena, South Carolina, after a shocking situation broke the heart of the only guy she'd ever loved. Years later, after losing her job in Atlanta with her name once again shrouded in scandal, she has nowhere to go but home.
Now a devastatingly handsome and well-respected man, Devin Jones became a successful doctor as a way to forget Shayla's betrayal. When she returns as infamously as she left, he plans to put aside old feelings and treat her as any other person in town. But after looking into her soft brown eyes, the feelings he thought long dead quickly rush to the surface.
Ignoring rumors, disapproval from family and friends, and promises to avoid each other, the two become friends ... then lovers. Devin wants all or nothing, but Shayla, haunted by her past, is afraid their relationship will damage what's left of her reputation. Can two broken hearts survive the fight against past and present demons to heal and find love?
Buy links:
What are your main characters' names, ages, and occupations?
Hero: Devin Jones, 35, Doctor
Heroine: Shayla Monroe, 34, Unemployed due to an unfortunate incident


Devin ran through every curse word he knew as he carried Shayla to his truck. He'd known she was back in town. Half his patients were buzzing about what happened to her in Atlanta and were eager to fill him. Helena was small, so he'd mentally prepared himself to see her. He'd expected it to be at the grocery store, if she came with her mom to a doctor's appointment, or at some community event. He'd even imagined seeing her in Columbia now that her friend Tasha was married to his friend Jared. For each of those scenarios he'd thought out how he would react. How he would treat her with the cool indifference his best friend Malcolm had down to a science. He would participate in any necessary small talk, comment on the weather, and move along as if she wasn't the woman who'd shredded his heart years ago.
But for all that preparation, he hadn't come up with a response to seeing her trip over her own feet after one glance at him. His concern pushed aside all thoughts of acting indifferent. Not surprising. He could never stay indifferent when it came to Shayla.
When they reached his truck, he unceremoniously dumped her in the passenger seat and slammed the door. He should've let her limp home, but as a doctor he couldn't leave her injured in the middle of the trail. Plus, Hangman's Woods wasn't the safe place it had been in the nineties. With dusk approaching, most hikers left as unruly teens and other folks with ill intentions began hanging along the trails.
He jumped into the driver's seat and started the engine. "You shouldn't be running in the woods this late in the day," he said as he drove out of the lot.
She crossed her arms under her breasts, pushing the swells higher above her sports bra. He gripped the steering wheel and jerked his eyes away. Focus on the road.
"I've wandered those trails too many times to count. I won't get lost," she said.
"I know, but you haven't been here in years. Once it gets dark all types of whack jobs start hanging there. Hikers don't even camp anymore after a family was robbed two years ago."
"Oh," she said. "I'll remember that next time."
He glanced at her out of the corner of his eye. "Don't make a next time. Just stay off the trails close to dusk. I'd hate for you to get hurt."
Her lips twisted into a sardonic smile. "I'm surprised you care."
He sighed. "I've always cared, Shayla. I stopped offering my advice because you never listened."
"You're the only person I've ever listened to," she murmured.
He thought back to Homecoming and the night she'd broken his heart. "You didn't always listen."
She stiffened before turning to look out the window. It was a low blow, and hurts from the past weren't worth stirring up, but he needed to remind them both why they'd never worked out.
"You know, high school was years ago, can we just say we were young and dumb and move on?" she said still facing the window.
He relaxed his hands on the wheel. "Agreed."

Interview with Devin Jones

Tell us about yourself.
Let's see, I have my own medical practice in my hometown of Helena, SC. I grew up here and always knew I wanted to come back and practice medicine. I became interested medicine after my mom died of a brain aneurysm when I was in high school. It was unexpected and difficult for me and my dad. I'm constantly on my dad about his health now. Personally, I enjoy playing basketball with my friends and spending time with my dad.
Tell us about Shayla.
Shayla. My dad says I've been trying to figure her out since we were kids, and honestly he's right. I knew who she was growing up, but it wasn't until high school when she braided my hair one summer that we connected. What can I say, we just clicked. She became my best friend, the one person I could count on. I had a crush on her, but never wanted to follow it up. Her dad had a reputation that spilled over on her. So many guys were trying to push up on her. I was happy to just be her friend. Unfortunately, something happened and it tore us apart. We went years without speaking. When she first came back to town, rumors were flying about what she'd gotten into. That's the thing with Shayla, there are always rumors about her situation. Usually unfounded...some legitimate. But that's who she is. She looked for love in all the wrong places. I'm ready to show her that she doesn't have to look anymore. I'll never understand her, never have a dull moment with her, and never stop loving her.
What do you think is your strongest point?
My strongest point? Hmmm. I'm the one my friends always come to for advice. I pride myself on my ability to remain rational in tense situations. Except when it comes to Shayla. I can never keep my cool where she's concerned.
What would Shayla say is your strongest point?
I'm patient. She isn't. When she's impatient or nervous she taps her hand or foot. I can usually calm her down. She seems to like that about me.
What would Shayla say is your biggest weakness?
Her. She used to think I deserved someone better. It took awhile for her to realize she's had my heart from the moment we met.
What was it like where you grew up?
My hometown hasn't changed much. I grew up, and still live in, Helena, SC. It's a small town about an hour or so from the capital of Columbia. It has its benefits: everyone knows everyone, a sense of community, no traffic. But it has cons as well. The biggest is a result of one of the benefits. Because everyone knows everyone gossip runs rampant. I don't like people in my business or getting unwelcome advice on my love life. I've had a lot of that since rekindling my relationship with Shayla.

About the Author

Synithia Williams has enjoyed romance novels since she was 13 years old, so it's no surprise that she began writing her own. When she isn't reading or writing, she's working on sustainability initiatives in the Midlands of South Carolina. She lives with her husband, Eric, and two boys.

Previous Books

You Can't Plan Love
Worth the Wait


I'm giving away an ebook copy of one either You Can't Plan Love or Worth the Wait (winner's choice). Tell me if you think a romance between "bad girl" and a "good guy" can work.

Find Me Here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...