May 6, 2013

Gay Paranormal: A Little Bite of Magic | Interview @ MjOsheaSeattle #RLFblog

Little Bite of Magic 

MJ O'Shea, welcome to Romance Lives Forever. Let's talk about your book, A Little Bite of Magic.
Genre: Gay Paranormal Romantic Comedy M/M
Publisher: LooseId
Cover artist: Kalen O'Donnell
Length: 30,000 words
Heat rating:
Tagline: A food loving witch with a romantic heart and a fussy restaurant critic should be a match made in hell… but perhaps all it takes is a bit of kitchen magic to make sparks fly.
In a family full of powerful witches, Frankie Vallerand is the black sheep. He doesn't care about honing his magic. All he wants is to open up a restaurant and spend his days serving up delicious food. But when he sees a customer crying and wishes for her to be happy, he inadvertently transforms his old wooden soup spoon into a wand, and realizes that maybe a little bit of kitchen magic is just what his customers need.
Addison Allbright is The Phantom Foodie, an anonymous food critic notorious for his scathing reviews. For most people, being paid to eat would be a dream job. Not for Addison. He doesn't care for overpriced designer food. He's a tea and toast kind of guy. Until both the food and the owner of L'Osteria Di Pomodoro sweep him off his feet and throw his neat, orderly life completely off-kilter.
Frankie isn't sure how to tell Addison he's a witch, or that he charmed Addison's food the night they first met, without sounding totally crazy. But little does he know that Addison has secrets too. Not only did he snark Frankie's restaurant in his last review column, he's also engaged to be married…to a woman.
Buy links:
What are your main characters' names, ages, and occupations?
Frankie, 25, is a chef...and a witch. Addison is 33 and a restaurant critic.


I can't. I shouldn't be here. That much was obvious. Addison really hadn't planned on doing anything. Really. He was just going to talk to the beautiful man in the wine bar, then go home and fantasize about what could've been. What could never have been, actually, since he wasn't going to do anything about it. So why was he here, then, with said beautiful man in a deserted restaurant kitchen about to do what was definitely something?
Because I want to. More than anything I've ever wanted before.
Frankie was dancing around the kitchen, clearly in his element, taking out ingredients and cookware.
"What are you making?"
He grinned, that sweet flashy smile that made Addison's belly weak. I want to touch him again. It had been heaven simply holding hands. Who would've thought his routine day would end in such an amazing way? He had expected to have a glass of wine and walk himself home. Alone. Instead he was with a gorgeous chef in an old-restaurant kitchen that should've been creepy but was instead atmospheric and wonderful. Addison didn't want to wake up from whatever dream he'd landed in. Telling the truth would result in a short ride back to reality.
It's okay. Just for tonight. I don't have to tell him who I am if I never see him again.
Frankie poured cream and cracked eggs into a glass bowl. He made the motions look graceful. Effortless. Even when he whisked it all with a big metal thing that looked like a torture device.
"Are you going to tell me what you're cooking?" Addison couldn't believe he wanted to know so badly. Even though there was nothing really happening yet, he smelled magic on the breeze. Wait, there was a breeze? There was. It was subtle and warm and sweet but didn't seem to have an origin. "Where's that wind coming from?"
"It's a surprise, nosy, and what wind? The door is closed." Frankie cocked his head to the side and listened. Addison didn't feel anything.
Frankie put the bowl of cream and eggs over a pot of water that he set to boil. Then he started splitting black stalks that looked like beans over the bowl and scraping out the tiny bits of seeds until they were swirling in the cream before dropping the pods in whole. The vanilla smell was instant and intense. He then added a cascade of sparkling sugar and began to stir with an old wooden spoon.
"I get the vanilla from Madagascar and Tahiti. The flavor is gorgeous. It's sexy and rich."
Addison's mouth watered. He wanted sexy and rich. He wanted to feel it on his tongue. Frankie sprinkled in a spoon of white powder.
"What's that?" Addison asked. He sat on a stool opposite Frankie's cooktop. He couldn't stop staring.
"A bit of cornstarch. It helps everything to get nice and thick."
Why does everything he say sound so damn hot?
Frankie kept stirring. He concentrated hard for a moment, eyes closed.
"What are you doing now?" Addison had never seen anything like Frankie cooking.
Frankie grinned at him. "Just adding the magic touch. My relatives are…very French. I got some odd customs from my mother's side of the family."
Addison nodded. Ahh. Frankie poured a small measure of liquid into the warming mixture. It was amber-dark and rich and caught the light as it trickled from his measuring cup.
"Rum." Frankie grinned wickedly. "Can you handle it?"
Addison's head swam. The steam coming from the pot was enthralling, stirring his belly and settling in his chest. He felt warm and melty, like he could close his eyes and float. Frankie leaned his head over the bowl and inhaled. Addison wanted to lean closer too, to the bowl and to Frankie. He wanted to inhale and kiss and taste and…ohhh. How much wine had he had?
"Needs some caramel, I think," Frankie murmured. He took a jar from the ancient monster of a refrigerator, stirring and murmuring until the golden ribbon of gooey sugar was all gone, dissolved into the swirling creamy white.
"Are you talking to the food?"
Frankie smiled. "I think all chefs do. Here, taste." He took another spoon and dipped it into the warm mixture.
Addison leaned across the island before he could think and let the spoon slip into his mouth. The flavors melted across his tongue, filling him until he was tasting and inhaling and reaching out to cup Frankie's jaw in his hand.
"Good?" Frankie's voice was a rough whisper.
"Here." Another spoonful found its way into Addison's mouth, even more intoxicating than the first. He savored the exotic flavor, licked the sweet warmth off the spoon. Frankie moaned.
"What?" Addison asked. He felt even looser than he'd been at the wine bar, although he knew it was impossible from just that small taste of rum. His body was heating up and opening, and he wanted to touch.
Frankie sucked the rest of the custard from the spoon. "You," he answered. "Do you have any idea how sexy you are?"
"Can I have more?" Addison asked.
They shared another spoonful, then another, then a third. The haze got thicker in Addison's head. Frankie slowly drifted his way around the island, the custard spoon in his hand. He wriggled his way in between Addison's thighs. Then he dipped the spoon again and brought it to Addison's lips.
I need to kiss him.
Addison licked rich rum-scented caramel cream from the spoon again, savoring his odd high, and leaned forward. Frankie's hips nudged closer. Addison wanted to get closer still.
"Can I…?" Frankie whispered.
Addison nodded. Yes. Please…
Their lips touched, just barely at first, and Addison inhaled Frankie's sugar-scented breath. More. He had to taste. Addison's fingers found their way behind Frankie's neck; his tongue swiped along a lush lower lip. The taste, oh the taste, it crawled down his spine with sweetly stinging claws of pleasure. Addison shivered.
Then Frankie slipped his tongue out and tasted Addison's lips, just like he'd been tasted. The moment was excruciating and perfect, sweet and a little wild.
"Is this okay?" Frankie asked.
"God, yes," Addison breathed. He barely recognized his own voice.
"Good, 'cause I need more." Frankie lifted his arm and threaded a long-fingered hand through Addison's hair. He pulled him close until their mouths collided in a kiss so intense, Addison wondered if he'd be able to breathe once it was over. Frankie moaned against his mouth, or maybe it was Addison who moaned. It didn't matter. The result was pleasure. Hotter and sweeter than any he'd ever thought possible. He tasted dessert and something more that he knew had to be Frankie—warm, rich, and sexy as hell. He heard the distant clang of a spoon on flagstones, but it barely registered. The only thing he was aware of was the swirling, consuming, gorgeous flavor that bloomed between them, and the heavy sexual haze that he couldn't surface from. He didn't want to surface anyway. Ever. Frankie pressed closer. Addison couldn't drag him close enough.
"I want to keep kissing you all night," Frankie murmured, his voice breathless.
"Yes," Addison answered. "All night."
And just like he'd always hoped, the rest of the world disappeared.


Tell us about your story's world. What is it like in this period or place?
This story is set in the modern every day world. The only exception is there are witches — and who's to say there really arent? :) Most of the story is set in San Francisco but one of our main characters, Frankie, is from Louisiana so some scenes are set there. The second book in the series is going to be set exclusively in Louisiana.
What inspired you to write this book?
I've always loved to cook (this probably won't be my last foray into the cooking world) but I thought it would be a fun twist to have the chef be a kitchen witch. I've always loved that character on the whole. Who better to tangle with a kitchen witch than a restaurant critic who is dying to get out of his boring life? And there, a story was born?
When you write, what things do you want close at hand? (Coffee, water, chocolate... pictures of gorgeous hunks for inspiration...?)
The less I have near me the better!! I do like to have coffee or tea of course, but I concentrate the best if I don't have much else for my hands to do. Once I'm in a scene it flows quickly, but it's just getting there that's a challenge if I give myself too many other things to look at:)
When you're not writing, what would we find you doing?
Let's see, I'm a music person, so I spend a lot of time working out stress on my piano! I paint murals (all over my house haha) and, I love to dance. I cook and am pretty addicted to cooking shows. I love giada! Hopefully in the future, I'll be traveling more when I'm not writing. I love seeing new places.
Any advice for new authors?
Keep writing! Your first story will most likely have a lot of problems, I know mine did, but the more you write the more natural it will feel.
If you wouldn't say it, don't write it either. Obviously character dialogue doesn't fit in that rule, but read your books aloud. If something sounds awkward, too formal, silly, or just not like you, then get rid of it. You already have your own great voice. Just use it:)
What aspect of your life do you write into your books?
Lots of it! Different things in different books. I put my friends in books all the time (Jeana from The Luckiest is actually my closest friend, not Luka's), I give the characters interests that I have sometimes, and lots of speech mannerisms and jokes come from me without me even meaning to do it.
What other jobs have you held besides writing?
Not too many, actually. Right out of college, I taught middle school reading for a few years. That was actually pretty fun. But then my family opened a commercial painting company and I'm still helping my family run the company when I'm not busy writing. I'll be happy when it's time to let someone else step in there. Payroll isn't one of my best skills:)
If you could time travel what era would be your first stop?
Ooooh Regency England. No doubt! I've been in love with that era ever since I was a kid.
Do you believe in luck?
Absolutely! Most luck is aided by hard work, but there's definitely an element of being in the right place at the right time to most success stories:)
What kind of music do you listen to while driving? Same question when writing?
I never listen to music when I write. It's way too distracting. But when I drive or paint etc. I listen to a lot of stuff:) I'm from Seattle so there's the typical alternative stuff. I like about a million bands so I won't bore anyone. I have a not so secret boyband love affair too. When I was a kid it was all about the Backstreet Boys, but I've been known to sing some One Direction at the top of my lungs too:)
Do you play any musical instruments?
Yep! I've played Piano the longest. Since I was five:) after that, Flute since I was about nine, and I can play clarinet, guitar, bass, and bassoon a little bit each.

Please complete the sentence

I love pizza with black olives and pineapples.
I'm always ready for dancing!!
When I'm alone, I sing really loud. :)
If I had a halo it would be lol. Tarnished. But pink and sparkly as well. :)
If I could fly I'd do it in a heartbeat.
I can never say never because who knows what's going to happen?

Previous Books

With Republica Press (then re-released as Self Published)
Blood Moon
Hunter's Moon
Cold Moon
With LooseId:
Dark Sun
Moonlight Becomes You
The Luckiest
With Dreamspinner Press:
Coming Home
Letting Go
One Small Thing
One True Thing

Books Coming Soon

With LooseId:
A Little Bite of Magic
Rising Sun
With Dreamspinner Press:
Finding Shelter
Catch My Breath

Find Me Here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...