May 17, 2013

Who is an Everyday Hero? @vickibatman #RLFblog

San Diego or Bust 
Please welcome Vicki Batman to Romance Lives Forever with a post on getting away and finding your heroes.

Last December, my girlfriends and I went on our annual Christmas getaway. We ate great food and checked out historical homes decorated for the holidays.
After we returned to our rooms and put on our comfy jammies, we exchanged gifts and then chatted about stuff. All kinds of stuff. This time, the topic turned to handsome hunky heroes.
Yeah, we went through all the normal attributes heroes are perceived to be, like firefighters and policemen, military, etc. Out of nowhere, I added, "My heroes are handymen--plumbers, carpenters, and fixer-uppers like the guys on HGTV."
Needless to say, hysterics took over us.
But it's the truth. We'd rather have someone who could clean the pipes, patch a hole in the wall, fix a light fixture, and nowadays, keep our computer running. Those are real men.
The giggles continued on when we began discussing the HGTV hosts that rock our world. And we did wonder if they were as helpful at home as they appear to be on television.
I tend to write about everyday heroes in my sweet meet stories. Chances are we encounter them in real life over a Navy Seal or Army Ranger. The lawyer who volunteers to run a Christmas tree stand. The accountant who helps someone figure out how to fund a business. The restaurateur who provides jobs and helps the local animal shelter. The store owner who wants to help his sick dad have a wonderful, last Christmas. The architect taking over his mom's business when she retires. The pilot donating a kidney. The schoolteacher who coaches a team.
They don't--usually--risk life and limb; they are the unsung guys who keep us going every day. Just normal average Joes.
Those small things are truly heroic.
BTW, did I mention the electrician is a fireman?
What kind of hero do you like to read about? Who are your heroes?

By Vicki Batman -- San Diego or Bust

After what was supposed to have been a romantic getaway to San Diego, Jill Grant decided her boyfriend, Davis Griffith Swansea III, was a dirtwad. Absolutely, none of her planning had pleased him and to top it off, he hadn't proposed. So when deplaning, Steven Cartwright comes to her aid, and she begins to question whether her Mr. Right is the right Mr. Right.
Buy links:


My boyfriend is a dirt wad. I just decided.
With a humpf, I dragged my pink tote up the narrow aisle to the plane's exit, accidentally banging it into the seats along the way. The relieving notion of being back home in Sommerville caused the tension in my chest to fade a smidgen.
A quick peek to the exit told me where Davis, my boyfriend, stood waiting for the okay from the ground crew to head out. His glance my way didn't look at all pleasant. Similar to one wrapped in disappointment with a downward tilt of his mouth.
I didn't care much. I just decided.
The words creep, jerk, moron, and “why in the hell am I still dating him??” jumbled my thoughts around. My heart pounded as anxiety ratcheted inside me again.
Maybe I shouldn’t. Maybe I should not put up with him anymore.
The deepest part of me knew I shouldn’t be with Davis Griffith Swansea, III any longer. I was just in denial. Over the past year, I’d had brief, momentary twinges of dumping him; then, he’d go and do something incredibly romantic like bring me Godiva chocolates--“I know how you love these.” Or buy me a new book by my favorite author--“I happened to see this today.” Or whisk me off to an intimate dinner √† deux at the latest and greatest bistro--"I know you'll like this place."
My head had gone stupid.

Find Me Here


  1. Hi Vicki,
    I love your perspective on heroes. Another came to mind when I thought of the Navy Seals who rescued Jessica Buchanan who had been kidnapped in Somalia recently. The six heroes got her to safer but still risky grounds as her captors were still there. The Navy Seals protected her by all six laying over her to protect her with their bodies until the rescue helicopter could get to them. Just six normal men who each had their jobs at home but who had a special skill being a Navy Seal. I get all misty eyed just thinking of their heroism.

    1. It's an amazing story of how people will risk all to save others. Thanks for commenting Nick.

    2. I love to read about reluctant heroes, the kind who shy away from attention. They do what they do because they believe in it, and because they know they couldn't live with themselves if they didn't. They aren't heroes because they have no fear. They're heroes because their fears don't stop them. That's my kind of hero.

    3. Hi, Susan! And I agree. Heroics don't involve attention. They involve helping others. See pilot friend. That was for real. My heart still clutches when I think about him.

  2. Hi, Nick! I saw that story on tv and was totally wowed. To be able to do what Seals do is mind boggling and requires tons of training and very special men. Thank you for posting!

    1. Glad to have you here, Vicki! You always have interesting posts.

    2. Thank you, Kayelle. Truly, this post came about when Handsome told me about a friend who donated a kidney. I was reduced to tears over the magnificent gesture. What a hero.

  3. My hero is the average everyday Joe who pulls someone out of a burning building or takes a bullet for his or her kid. Not that I don't think police and fire people aren't heroes because I do, however I like mine to be atypical. Nice post, Vicki.

    1. Thanks for being here today Patti.

    2. Thanks, Patti. We are surrounded by all kinds of heroes. I think, based on your blog today, you are one too. ox

  4. I love the guys on HGTV!!! I've written one book based on one of the guys. :)

    1. Hi, Amber! We had a hilarious moment that day. Truthfully, sometimes I'm so happy when the plumber or Handyman comes. What seemed awful is vanished in mere seconds thanks to their skills.

  5. Love the post!! It sounds like a fun trip. I love the unexpected hero and have to admit some of those guys on HGTV are really good looking.

  6. Hi, Jerrie! Those HGTV guys are good looking, but we wondered if they were really handy around the house like they show on tv. lolol. The unexpected hero surrounds us everyday. Small ways are just as heroic as big ones.

  7. There is something wonderful about a guy who can take care of the house and take care of you! :)


  8. There's nothing like a reluctant hero. Gets the old imagination going.

  9. Hi, Melissa! I always say I married a superhero and it is for the very reasons you mentioned.

    Hi, Marian! Right. the reluctant hero has secrets.

    Thanks ladies for posting. hugs

  10. Well-said, Vicki.I agree. Real life men who are handy around the house are heroes. A hero in one of my short stories was a plumber. Good blog.

  11. Hi, Cara and thank you! Heroes come from all walks of life. Some just have a different skill set over others. That's okay. Thank you for the compliment!! ox


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...