August 7, 2013

Suspense: Identity Crisis | Interview @eashtreebooks #RLFblog

Identity Crisis. 
Elizabeth Ashtree, welcome to Romance Lives Forever. Let's talk about your book, Identity Crisis.
Genre: Suspense
Publisher: Musa Publishing
Cover artist: David Efaw
Length: 88,000 words
Heat rating: 2
Tagline: They stole her memories, but she won't let anyone control her future.
Karli McKenna wakes up into someone else's life. And yet some of her memories match that life. Other memories are from a life she is sure she used to have. To find out the truth, she must elude her friends, the authorities and some mysterious criminals, all bent on capturing her -- or killing her. She must find out who the criminals are to find out which of her memories are true. And to reclaim her life and family.
Buy links:
What are your main characters' names, ages, and occupations?
Karli McKenna who is also Katie Markson. She is an attorney in her early thirties.
David Tanner is an FBI agent who knew Karli from law school and now watches over her as Katie.


He closed his eyes against the razor sharp pain her comment sent straight through his heart. "I do love you." His voice rasped as he spoke this painful truth that had gone unacknowledged for so very long. "But I have orders."
"From whom?"
That was a question he couldn't answer, and one she was likely to keep on asking. He had to get Dr. Riland to work his magic on her as soon as possible. The doctor had warned that over time, the images and ideas she held about being Karli might begin to mingle with her identity as Katie— or even overwhelm that identity. That must have been what happened this morning.
The two identities had begun to intertwine, confusing her.
David had no doubt she still believed herself to be Karli, though she tried to hide it. Yet just as Riland had predicted might happen, she'd retained all of her identity as Katie, too. Riland worried that if the conflicting personas remained together in her conscious mind too long, the inconsistencies could be catastrophic to her psychological stability. So far, the doctor had been able to suppress the Karli identity. Dave prayed he'd be able to do it again. Losing this woman to mental illness was not an option.
"Look, maybe we can come to a compromise." He groped for what he could say to prevent a disaster. "I could call your doctor and have him come see you here."
"Are you insane? I have to deal with my client. He's wondering what just happened to his case and whether I'll be able to make good on my promise to save him from the blood-sucking IRS. So if you'll excuse me—"
"Katie, you'll cooperate, or so help me, I'll go ahead and carry you out of here kicking and screaming. Do you want your client to see that?"
"You're a bastard." She glared at him.
"Yes, that's true. So now that we have that settled, promise me you'll cooperate with your doctor when he gets here." He pulled out his cell and pushed a button. "Dr. Riland," he said into the phone.
She shot him a scowl of disgust and turned away. He followed as she walked off, but stopped when he realized that she had retraced only a few steps so she could speak to her paralegal and the man who stood with her. He would let Katie have some time with her client. But he would keep an eye on her while Dr. Riland made his way to the courthouse. Once the doctor finished with her, he'd be better able to control her and the dangerous situation she may have inadvertently created.


How did you get your start in the industry?
I got started with a wonderful writing group headed by Rebecca York
and was first published by Harlequin Superromance.
What is the most important thing you do for your career now, as compared to when you first started writing?
It used to be that an author could just write a great book and submit it to a publisher.
If she was in the right place at the right time, she might get published. Now, we can publish our books more easily, but we must spend a great deal of time promoting and marketing our books. Not as much fun, but necessary in this era of ebooks.
What websites do you visit daily?
I am a junky for and wish I were funny or clever enough to be published there.
If you could change something about your first book, what would it be?
The cover! Never liked that cover and wish Harlequin would update it. Even the publisher isn't fond of it!
What do you enjoy most about writing?
Making up stories. I've been doing that since I was first able to write, or so my mother tells me. I also enjoy the solitude.
If you could choose anyone to be your mentor who would it be?
I already have an awesome mentor in Rebecca York, but I am also a great admirer of Terry Pratchett and Harlen Coben.
What is your work ethic when it comes to writing?
I have a full time job in the U.S. Intelligence Community, so writing happens very randomly, mostly when I can't sleep.
Do things your family or friends do ever end up in a book?
I don't write their personalities into books, but most of my main characters have the first names of relatives (sons, nieces, nephews).
What are some jobs you've done before (or while) you were a writer?
I have a really cool job in the U.S. Intelligence Community, but I can't tell you about it. How's THAT for intrigue?
What kind of books do you read when taking a break from your own writing?
Thrillers, suspense, fantasy. Spent a year listening to audio version of Wheel of Time on my commute to and from work.
What do you think is the future of traditional publishing?
I think publishing is changing so fast, soon "traditional" publishing will be what Musa Publishing does and not what print presses do.
What good book have you read recently?
Wheel of Time series, Game of Thrones series, Gone series, The Martian by Andy Weir, the whole Wool Silo series. Yes, I love to read.
Where were you at midnight, on December 31st when the new century started?
If you mean December 31, 1999, then I was watching TV to find out if our computers would shut down because of the Y2k anomaly. We were prepared for power outage, too. But if you mean December 31, 2000, when we actually turned to the 21st century, then I was at home with husband and our two tiny dogs. We were probably sleeping by midnight!
What do you like to do when you're bored?
I am never bored! There are too many books to read. But when I need to let my mind lapse, I play Free Cell or word games, usually by myself.
If you were a color, what color would you be?
I am green - a hippy environmentalist. Others would likely tell you my personality is red.

Please complete the sentences

I love pizza with extra cheese, but actually I don't like pizza much.
I'm always ready for a good book and hot cup of tea.
When I'm alone, I read or work on a novel in progress.
You'd never be able to tell, but I'm a nature mom, free-spirit type.
If I had a halo it would be because of all the children I raised or helped to raise.
If I could be anywhere, I'd choose to be on my 6 acre homestead with my husband and two tiny chihuahuas.
I can never tell you about my day job because I have a cool job in the U.S. Intelligence Community.

Previous Books

Reconcilable Differences,
The Child Comes First,
A Marriage of Majors,
The Colonel and the Kid,
An Officer and a Hero,

Find Me Here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...