February 21, 2014

Interview: Queen's Quest author Suz deMello @Suzdemello #RLFblog #scifirom @ReadThis4fun

Queen's Quest 
Title Queen's Quest
Genre Scifi Erotic Romance
Author Name Suz deMello
Book heat level (based on movie ratings): R
Janus is a planet which lacks both tilt and spin, and its Shadowlands are the pewter band of dusk dividing the violently hot Lightside of the planet from its Darkside, imprisoned by eternal night. Because of the peculiar conformation of the planet, birthrates are low and indiscriminate mating encouraged.
Audryn, Queen of Shadow has reached that time in her life when she must choose a King to rule with her or fail to bear an heir, casting not only her realm but all of Janus into chaos.
Despite her duty, she is reluctant to share power, even a bit distrustful. Janus' nobles vie for Audryn's hand. Although she enjoys trysting with all her suitors, none seize her heart.
Then Storne, the warrior Prince of Darkness, arrives to claim her as his bride.
Will his masterful ways allure or repel the willful Queen?

Buy This Book

Interview with Suz deMello

Why did you write this book?
The concept of planet Janus had been on my mind for quite some time, at least ten years before I wrote the book. Janus is a planet that lacks spin, having been terraformed to always present one face toward its sun and the other in the direction of deep space. I wondered what societies would evolve in these conditions.
I wrote the book while healing from the traumas of death, divorce and writers' block—I was living in Thailand at the time, having felt the need to get away from everything. So while I wrote most of this book in bustling Chiang Mai, my mind was thirty thousand years into the future and many light-years away from our Earth.
What is your favorite genre to read?
Young adult paranormal—stuff like Harry Potter and the Hunger Games. I think that YA fiction is one of the most exciting genres around.
What is your favorite character from fiction (not including your own characters)?
I only get to pick one?
Whoa...I wonder how many people pick Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird? My other choice would be Sydney Carton from Tale of Two Cities.
Do you enjoy films and/or TV shows? Which are your favorites?
I love all media but don't watch much. I'm pretty busy with my life and my writing. Life is not lived in front of a screen, so when I'm not writing, I like to get out of the house and experience others. I'm also nervous about letting TV and movies infect my books, change my characters into clichés. Spending time with real people, with all their complexities and issues, is the antidote to that awful possibility.
So I tend to watch news and humor—I love Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert and even Bill Maher. I like Vice and Anthony Bourdain. I'm a House Hunters International addict.
I do love a couple of TV shows that feature spectacular eye candy—particularly Sherlock with two delicious male leads, and Grimm...David Giuntoli is mega-hot.
I enjoy too many films to mention, but I love fantasy, sci-fi and paranormal. Outside of the otherwordly stuff, I like Woody Allen's films.
What are you working on at the moment, and what are we likely to see from you in the coming months?
I'm writing the fourth book in my series, Highland Vampires. Readers are likely to see Rakes in Tartan, the third book in the series, soon. It follows the romantic antics of two Scottish vampires in Regency London as they encounter other vamps, dragons and a Nordic fairy called a "huldra."
Please tell us about your latest book.
Janus is a planet which lacks both tilt and spin, and its Shadowlands are the pewter band of dusk dividing the violently hot Lightside of the planet from its Darkside, imprisoned by eternal night. Because of the peculiar conformation of the planet, birthrates are low and indiscriminate mating encouraged.
Audryn, Queen of Shadow has reached that time in her life when she must choose a King to rule with her or fail to bear an heir, casting not only her realm but all of Janus into chaos.
Despite her duty, she is reluctant to share power, even a bit distrustful. Janus' nobles vie for Audryn's hand. Although she enjoys trysting with all her suitors, none seize her heart.
Then Storne, the warrior Prince of Darkness, arrives to claim her as his bride.
Will his masterful ways allure or repel the willful Queen?

Author Bio

Best-selling, award-winning author Suz deMello, a.k.a Sue Swift, has written over sixteen romance novels in several subgenres, including erotica, comedy, historical, paranormal, mystery and suspense, plus a number of short stories and non-fiction articles on writing. A freelance editor, she's worked for Total-E-Bound, Liquid Silver Books and Ai Press, where she is currently Managing Editor. She also takes private clients.
Her books have been favorably reviewed in Publishers Weekly, Kirkus and Booklist, won a contest or two, attained the finals of the RITA and hit several bestseller lists.
A former trial attorney, her passion is world travel. She's left the US over a dozen times, including lengthy stints working overseas. She's now writing a vampire tale and planning her next trip.

Author Social Media


2 comments:

  1. You write erotica and read YA! It is always a delight to read more about you. Continued success!
    Tonette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tonette. :) Thanks for popping in. I think a good writer will often read far outside what they write. It's the best way to have fresh ideas.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...