July 18, 2014

Writing "Campaign" the novel by E Ayers @ayersbooks #RLFblog #contemporary

Thanks so much for having me here today. My newest book Campaign will be live Monday, July 21, 2014. It's my seventh River City novel. River City is a fictional mid-sized city in the eastern United States.
I love writing the River City novels because they aren't exactly a series, although it's fun to read them in order, just jump in and try one. The glue that holds them together is the city. Yes, many of the characters know each other. Some work together, are friends, or are business associates. So there can be some loose ties between them.
In my head, I have some criteria for River City novels. The couple has to be doing something to make the city better. It doesn't matter if they donate to a cause, or actively participate in some sort of activity/volunteer program, such as coaching soccer. Plus there has to be something about that story that needs to be told. Something different that sets it apart.
I'm going to say that all the stories are PG-13. Let's face it, teens today know more about sex than their grandmothers did after they were married! That might sound horrifying to some people, but I don't think it is. Knowledge is power. It's also protection!
So that said, I'm PG-13. I don't write anything too sweet or too hot. I'm right down the middle. I let my characters and their personalities drive the heat of the story.
Writing Campaign was a roller coaster ride. It's an emotional story, filled with highs and lows. And just when I thought I had a grip on it, my heroine, Kathryn "Ryn" Demary would toss another problem at me, because she wasn't the average heroine. And Brad Shoemaker might have fallen in love with her, but he had a career choice at stake.
So while the story seems simple enough, Ryn wasn't. She's mute and that is a huge factor throughout the story. Yes, there's dialog. She talks with her hands, she uses a computer gadget, and occasionally pen and paper. That alone created a grammar nightmare. So after spending some time at one of the local colleges discussing the situation with the grammar gurus, it was concluded that she signed or she typed was to be treated exactly the same as she said.
The other problem with signing is that folks who sign don't exactly use each word and there is no past or future tense. They sign you go store eggs milk bread I cook food we food. That could mean you went to the store so I cooked the dinner – let's eat! Because Ryn can hear, and once upon a time, had a voice, she might sign in the abbreviated form, but in her head, she's saying the whole sentence. I used the whole sentence.
The truth is people don't know what to do when faced with someone who is disabled. Fear that they can't communicate, or that they will do, or say, the wrong thing keeps people at a distance. And that can be heart breaking for the person with a disability.
I hope when people are done reading Campaign, they will understand a little more about disabilities, and they will see Ryn as a young woman who is surviving in a vocal world. She loves Brad and wants to be his wife, but she wants to be more than a silent smile at his side.

Campaign Brad and Ryn's Story A River City Novel
Contemporary Romance
Brad Shoemaker was blindsided when he discovered that love could be silent, and Kathryn "Ryn" Demary is mute. But when Mayor Bruno Giovanni is forced into early retirement, he chooses Brad to run in his place. Ryn is determined to campaign at Brad's side, but instead of being an asset, she just might be his biggest liability. Ryn finds herself campaigning not just for Brad to become mayor but also for his love. Politics can get dirty and Ryn's caught in the middle.

Buy This Book

Available soon: Check author's website for buy links  http://ayersbooks.wordpress.com


"That bitch thinks she's too good to even talk to anyone. Her and her fancy clothes all cuddled up to Brad Shoemaker. She's going to rub everyone's nose into the fact that she's got the best catch in town." A breathy female voice could be heard from someplace behind Ryn.
Brad wrapped his arm around Ryn and held her close as the pain of what the woman said chewed at her insides. She curled her fingers around Brad's hand as she watched Dallas cut her gaze in the direction of the voice.
"Would you like me to set the woman straight?" Brad asked in a whisper.
Ryn shook her head.
"Well, I'm not going to sit here and say nothing." Dallas frowned. "I won't tolerate a guest in my house being rude."
Ryn held up her hand and shook her head. She mouthed. "Please, no."
Maybe Brad was right and walking around with a placard that said I'm mute would make it easier for both of us. Layers of anger, aggravation, self-pity, denial, and depression wrapped her heart as it pounded in her chest.
She never thought of herself as living a sheltered life, but she realized she had. Wealth had blanketed her, protecting her from the real world. Sitting on a picnic bench with Brad while a jealous female made obnoxious comments was about as far from her world as she could get.
How many times had she told her students that they could do anything they wanted to do and be whatever they wanted to be? Beethoven continued to write music after he was deaf, Marlee Matlin was deaf and won an Oscar, Stevie Wonder and Jose Feliciano became musical superstars, Julliette Gordon Low, the poet Homer... names of famous disabled people who had accomplished great things flowed through her mind.
What a fraud she had become. She wanted to turn tail and run. She didn't have the guts to stand up to a lone female.

Author Bio

E. Ayers is a multi-published and Amazon best-selling author of western and contemporary romances. Her books are never too sweet or too hot. She writes down the middle. She is proud to be part of the Authors of Main Street, an elite group of award-winning and best-selling contemporary authors.


Anyone who signs up for the Authors of Main Street Newsletter today or tomorrow will be eligible to win an autographed copy of Campaign in their choice of Kindle or PDF format. Our newsletter goes out once a month and represents all the authors on Main Street.

Author Social Media

Amazon Author Page http://amzn.com/e/B005AYJ0XE
Authors of Main Street Newsletter http://ow.ly/xel3e


  1. Waving hello to everyone! I'll be in and out all day to answer comments. So say hello! I love meeting new people and seeing old friends.

    And if you've never read a River City novel, try one!

    1. Thanks for having me. It's always fun to be here.

  2. Absolutely fascinating. What a unique twist.

    1. Thanks, Victoria. And thank you for the tweets!

    2. I thought this was quite a unique view also. Thanks for visiting, Victoria.

  3. I didn't know that about Juliet Gordon Low...founder of the Girl Scouts. There are amazing people who are handicapped in one way or another. Can't wait to read this one.

    1. Thanks you, Pepper.

      I had a co-worker who got the cochlear implant after she went completely deaf. She was divorced and her husband fought for custody of their child. He won on grounds that she couldn't hear the child. She got the implant to fight for her child but couldn't stand all the "noise". She was always taking the receiver off. She had forgotten how noisy our world was - swore it wore her out.

      There are so many people living normal lives that we forget they are disabled.

    2. I had a deaf friend in college who had a child -- and the kid often did things behind mom's back that she figured her mom wouldn't "hear" about. LOL Somehow it always got back to her. :)

    3. Moms are moms. We have eyes in the back of our heads! :-)

  4. Very interesting post. I like the common thread that weaves through your River City novels. Best luck with your newest!

    1. Rose, thanks so much for stopping. And an even bigger thank you for reading my River City novels!

    2. Morning, Rose! Nice to hear from you.

  5. This should be an interesting book, E. Interesting and difficult plot line.

    1. Dealing with her muteness was one of the easier things about writing it. Dealing with the problems because she was mute, was by far more difficult. Thanks for stopping, Jane!

  6. Great story idea. I love that you have a tie that binds all the books yet they aren't sequels. A deaf character is a challenge. I never thought about the speaking before. I have a character that is facing blindness and that's a challenge. I tweeted!

    1. Thanks for stopping, Melissa, and for tweeting. River City happened by accident when I wrote the first one. I knew nothing about world building, but I had built a city to anchor that first story. So when I went to write the next book, I had a great character to be a hero and this city. So I used them. Then I realized a city was a great tie because there would always be new couples in a city and I could write for years with this wonderful backdrop. Twenty years from now Mac and Amanda, Trent and Cassie will be those "older" supporting characters that now belong to Candy and Aaron Clydermann and Kate and Bruno Giovanni.

      I wanted each novel to stand alone and each one does. It makes it easier for someone to jump into the pile and start reading.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...