August 28, 2014

Marilyn Baron -- Stones: Books and Bling @MarilynBaron #RLFblog #humor

Stones 
Genre Humorous Women's Fiction
Author Marilyn Baron
Book heat level (based on movie ratings): R
Desperate housewife seeks closure with first love about secret baby on the eve of their son's wedding.
When Julie Paver's husband Matt moves his business to Atlanta, she is forced to leave behind her thriving jewelry boutique, Stones. The move threatens their twenty-five-year marriage, because now if Matt isn't out of town negotiating a merger, he's spending late hours on overseas phone calls with his sexy-sounding second-in-command. Feeling neglected and unloved, Julie seeks closure by reconnecting with her first love, Manny, when he pursues her with his Internet innuendos. Manny is unaware he's the father of Julie's son, and Julie contemplates revealing the secret to him on the eve of their son's wedding. But would such a walk down memory lane be worth the cost? Julie and Manny finally meet at her oceanfront condo — in the midst of a hurricane — and elements collide to create the perfect storm in a coming-of-middle-age crisis.

Buy This Book

After Stones' worldwide release September 26, you can find other distribution channels and formats listed on Marilyn's Web site at www.marilynbaron.com.

Interview with Marilyn Baron

Why did you write this book?
I wanted to feature a heroine of a certain age because I'm not getting any younger and I believe people don't just want to read about twenty-somethings. This book was originally called, The Colonoscopy Club, so right away you know what age I'm talking about. In Stones, I take a humorous look at a woman who can't seem to get closure in her life. My central character Julie has issues. Even her issues have issues. Stones is about how Julie deals with those issues and features the themes of first loves and second chances.
What is your favorite genre to read?
I write in a number of genres—from historical romantic thrillers and suspense to paranormal and women's fiction—and I love to read a variety of genres. Among my favorite genres are thrillers, literary fiction, and romantic suspense. I have read a lot of amazing YA lately.
What is your favorite character from fiction (not including your own characters)?
Gabriel Allon in the Daniel Silva books.
Do you enjoy films and/or TV shows? Which are your favorites?
I love movies and I watch a lot of TV. Some of my favorite TV shows are Castle, Rizzoli and Isles, Major Crimes, Blue Bloods, The Good Wife, The Bridge, and Downton Abbey.
What are you working on at the moment, and what are we likely to see from you in the coming months?
I am currently finishing Book Three of my Psychic Crystal Mystery Series. Book One is Sixth Sense; Book Two is Homecoming Homicides. Book Three is called Murder on the Repositioning Cruise.
I have a new women's fiction book coming out this year in The Lobster Cove Series from The Wild Rose Press (TWRP) called The Widows' Gallery. I'm very excited to be participating in this series. Lobster Cove is a quaint and quirky fictional town on the coast of Maine near Bar Harbor. Participating TWRP authors write stories across all lines as long as they're set in Lobster Cove.
Here's the blurb for The Widows' Gallery:
Four recently widowed women meet on a Mediterranean cruise, bond over the Renaissance masterpiece, The Birth of Venus, in Florence, Italy, and find love, friendship and joy in their joint venture to open an art gallery in the quaint, quirky, coastal town of Lobster Cove, Maine.
Please tell us some fun facts about your latest book, Stones.
The Colonoscopy Club (Now the published novel Stones) finaled in the GRW Unpublished Maggie Awards for Excellence in 2005 in the Single Title category.
I lived in Florence, Italy, for six months during my junior year in college, where I studied Art History, Italian, English, Mythology and Religion. Part of Stones is set in Florence. The story is also set in Atlanta, Miami, and Palm Coast. I was born in Miami and currently live in Atlanta and I own a beach condo in Palm Coast. My central character owns an upscale jewelry boutique called Stones, hence the name of the novel. I love jewelry, which is why I chose that career for my heroine. My birthstone is an emerald which is why I wanted an emerald necklace on the cover. A priceless emerald medallion is also featured prominently in the book.
In Stones, Julie is planning her son's wedding and in real life, I'm planning my daughter's wedding.
The first line and my favorite line of the book is "Thank God for lint."
The book will be officially released September 26. Right now it's only available in paperback. It was released early in paperback in time for my appearance on a panel at the Decatur Book Festival Saturday August 30 from 10:00 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. called "Tackling Sensitive Issues in Fiction." Additional information about the event is available on https://www.facebook.com/events/623254154448358/ If you're in the Atlanta area over Labor Day I hope you'll attend the presentation/book signing.

Excerpt

To go or not to go to Palm Coast is no longer the question. The question is what will I do once I get there? Will I really have the nerve to reconnect, or as my daughter Natalie likes to say, "hook up," again with Manny Gellar? How will I feel tomorrow when I see him alone for the first time after 25 years? Will I finally reveal what I feel compelled—no, what I'm busting a gut—to tell him? That he has a beautiful son, that our son Josh is getting married in just three months? I'm probably rationalizing, but I think he finally has a right to know.
If I could, I'd fix what is wrong with my marriage and put it back the way it was before. Before Matt yanked me out of Miami by my roots as if I were a noxious weed he was tossing out of a flower garden and carelessly transplanted us to Atlanta. Before we moved a state away from preoccupied with his sexy-sounding German second-in-command, Gretchen. Before he stopped sleeping with me in the biblical sense. Before I turned fifty.
my family and my best friend and a business I'd worked a lifetime to create. Before Matt sold his freight expediting business to a German conglomerate for mega-millions and agreed to run the company for them from Atlanta for the next two years, barely consulting me. Before the German occupation, or rather before he became
All I really want is closure. I'm convinced that meeting Manny Gellar again is the only way I will ever come full circle and reconnect with my life.

Author Bio

Significant Others 
Marilyn is a finalist in the 2014 Georgia Romance Writers Published Maggie Award for Excellence in the category Novel with Strong Romantic Elements for her book Significant Others.
Marilyn Baron is a public relations consultant in Atlanta. She's a member of Marketing for Romance Writers, Romance Writers of America and Georgia Romance Writers (GRW) and the recipient of the GRW 2009 Chapter Service Award. She writes humorous women's fiction, romantic thrillers/suspense, historicals and paranormal. She has won writing awards in Single Title, Suspense Romance, Paranormal/Fantasy Romance and Novel with Strong Romantic Elements. Marilyn blogs at Petit Fours and Hot Tamales at www.petitfoursandhotamales.com. She serves on the Roswell Reads steering committee.
She and her sister, Sharon Goldman, just released a play about Alzheimer's called Memory Lane. You can find out more about Marilyn's books and short stories and listen to a medley of the music from Memory Lane on her Web site at www.marilynbaron.com or view it on YouTube at http://youtu.be/Hgi_mIdt5MA.

Author Social Media

35 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to be on the Romance Lives Forever blog. Thank you for inviting me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back! It's always good to see you. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Kayelle. I just put the word out and hopefully friends will visit. I love being on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, Marilyn & Kayelle!

    I enjoyed learning more about you, Marilyn. Stones looks like a fun read. Favourite line of the interview: "Even her issues have issues" LOL! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monique, thanks so much for stopping by. You are one of my favorite authors. My favorite line of the book is the first line. "Thank God for Lint!" It speaks to how difficult it is to get closure in life and the only way the heroine can get closure is by doing a load of laundry and peeling back the lint. Then she can cross that task off her "to do" list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As one of my immortals is fond of saying, "I've had lives like that." LOL It seems like the busier we are, the less we do sometimes too.

      Delete
    2. I love that phrase, "I've had lives like that," where most people only have "days" like that. You should try the lint closure technique. It works for me because there isn't much closure in life.

      Delete
  5. Ha! Thank you for writing about someone my age! You're so right, we don't always want to read about a twenty something! Stones sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darcy, I write a lot about women of a certain age. I know New Adult is all the rage, but I'm thinking of starting a new genre, called Old Adult. Or in this case, Coming-of- Middle-Age fiction. It's about time! Although this book does feature a section where the heroine is in college but they say write what you know and I know all about getting old.

      Delete
  6. Marilyn- thanks for sharing STONES with us! It is a compelling read because we all want to find out how everything turns out. I'm very impressed by all the awards you've won, and in such diverse areas! Definitely something to be proud of. Best wishes with this project and all your other writing endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MJ, Thank you so much for your comment and all the nice things you said. I'm a big believer in crossing genres. I know that's not the advisable thing to do but I like the flexibility of writing in multiple genres. Maybe I'll start a trend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marilyn, I also read across genres, and appreciate authors who cross. When I find an author I like, I'll follow them. Best wishes with your new releases!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ashantay,

    Thank you for commenting. Like you, I enjoy reading across genres so it seemed natural to write across genres. Thanks for your good wishes and continued support.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I immediately identified with the wife whose husband's job yanked her from her home to a new location. Love the heroine's loss of purpose with empty nest and her husband's absence--mental as well as physical. Great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane ,
      Thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoyed the book and could relate to the central character.

      Delete
  11. Marilyn: Great post and I truly enjoyed reading/reviewing STONES. I love the way Julie looks at her mess of a life with humor and hope. Good luck with all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan,
    Thank you for commenting and for reading and reviewing the book. I really appreciate it. I always use humor in my books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great read. So funny that the paperback came out before the ebook. I love how TWRP tries so hard to accommodate readers. Wow, you are prolific! Congrats on all your success!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Marilyn! I saw this cover earlier and thought how cool is that. Congratulations on the book. Love how you've tied things you learned into it.Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I appreciate your story features an older heroine and how you incorporated places you know into the plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I do love to feature older heroines. I have done that in my other women's fiction, Significant Others and in my book in the Lobster Cove series from TWRP that hasn't come out yet. And I love to write about places I've been. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  16. sounds like a fun book and nice to read something about older women with real issues. (and how amazing that twrp rushed your paperback!)
    congrats and best of luck...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nora, thank you. I'm so glad to hear that readers are interested in older heroines. I'm not sure I can remember what life was like in my 20s. And this heroine definitely has issues. In fact, as I mention later in another comment, I'm featuring Stones in a panel I'm in at the Decatur Book Festival this Saturday called Tackling Sensitive Issues in Fiction and in my case, I do that through the use of humor.

      Delete
  17. Alicia, Yes Rhonda was amazing. I needed the paperback version to sign at The Decatur Book Festival where I'm on a panel this Saturday, Aug. 30 from 10-10:45 on Tackling Sensitive Topics in Fiction and she made it happen. I will also sign at Moonlight & Magnolias October 11 so the paperback is available for that too and on Sept. 26 the ebook will be out. Thanks so much for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vicki, Thank you for visiting the blog and for your comments. I like to write about what I know or at least put something about where I've been, etc. in my books. I especially wanted to set part of the book in Florence, Italy so I managed to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great interview. I like stories about older heroines with some history behind them. Sounds like an intriguing book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Elaine, thank you so much for saying that. And thanks for visiting the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Best wishes, Marilyn! LOVE the cover!
    -R.T. Wolfe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tanya. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  22. I'm sure Marilyn has the record for comments left this month. She's wonderful to work with as an author, encouraging and sweet to everyone. Small wonder her friends drop by to support her in droves. Thanks to everyone who's popped in to wish her well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kayelle, It was an honor to be featured on your blog and I really do appreciate everyone who has stopped by to comment. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...