December 12, 2014

LS Books 6: Spotlight on Authors @LSB_lsbooks #RLFblog #amreading

Liquid Silver Books 
Today we'll have some fun

Spotlight – Author Day

Fight Princess
We asked authors to send us a favorite line from their book(s) … the one that made them love a character more or want to kick them to the curb?
Fight Princess, Full Contact Book 1 by M. S. Kaye
"I'll do whatever I have to do to keep you safe--even if it means losing whatever chance I might have of gaining any kind of affection from you."
Blackout by Allison B. Hanson
"It would probably be better if you just killed me, I'm going to die from embarrassment anyway," he admitted with a small grin.
Dawning of Light, Lightbearer Book 2 by Tami Lund
Her gaze dropped to his lap. Finn shifted uncomfortably. Did she think he was hung like a horse? If her expectations were that high, he probably shouldn't take her home tonight. Otherwise they'd both be disappointed.
Loving Link, Love and Music Book 2 by T.D. Hassett.
"You are so beautiful, I could write a hundred songs about you." Link whispered before pulling her head closer and softly kissing her lips.
Club Belle Tori, Club Belle Tori Book 1 by Michelle Hoppe
"You taste so very good, I could drink from your body all night." His seductive voice washed over her as his lips locked once more to start the dance of tongues again.
Traces, Ghosts of Roseville Book 1 by Betty Bolté
Sometimes our scars help show the strength we've developed through the adversity in our lives.
Wild Side by Laurel Richards
"You know, they say if you apply pressure to a certain spot of the sole, you can stimulate every nerve in the body."
In Season, Children of Nanook Book 2 by Allie Ritch
"Any male who calls you unworthy is a fool."
Lying for Love by Jocelyn Dex
Miles leaned in and kissed her cheek before saying, "You're the loveliest bloated woman here."
(Why do I love this line? Because it makes me laugh!)
Forever Caspia by Michelle Hoppe
"I didn't want to be in your line of fire, Princess. Vases hitting my head, nails scratching my eyes out, or teeth sinking into my arm are not my idea of foreplay." Tiro laughed at his own words and the look of shock now clouding Callista's face.
Aaron's Will, Legacies Book 1 by DawnMarie Richards
Aaron's Will
"…I'm going insane with wanting you. I want you when I wake up, when I go to bed and every horrible minute in between. I want you when you're here and when you're not, when I'm in meetings with the board, when I'm at home eating my dinner. And I'm afraid, Dylan. I'm truly afraid I'm starting to hate you for making me deny it."
Private Encore by Elle Rush
"Did aliens beam off your clothing just before you tripped and fell on his dick?"
Finding Zoe, Atlantic Divide Book 3 by Diane Saxon
"Hi. My son asked me to come today. I wasn't sure if I could make it."
Future Prospect, Love Under a New Star Book 1 by Lynn Rae
There she was, beautiful, soft, and made for touching. So he did.
Tyburn, The Southwark Saga Book 1 by Jessica Cale
"I know enough about you. You're generous and kind, you're thoughtful and beautiful, and I can't get you out of my mind. I would like nothing more on this earth than to take you right here, or anywhere else, for that matter, but I want you to be mine."
Hard Act to Follow
Hard Act to Follow, Shooting Stars Book 3 by K. Vale
"I'm just scared I ruined a great thing trying for an amazing thing."
(I love how hard Greg loves Kyrie, first as a friend, and later with more intense feelings. The problem is he's scared that acting on his desires will screw up their current platonic relationship.)
Drama Queen, Hollywood to Olympus Book 2 by Elle Rush
"Football – that's the one with the brown ball that bounces funny when you dribble it, right?"
More Than Strangers, Safe Harbor Book 1 by Tara Quan
"Don't get all old-fashioned on me now. What I can or cannot handle is my call—in bed and out."
No One to Trust by Sharon Callender
"We can't just instantaneously pick up where we left off." Jenna heard her voice incrementally rising.
Belle Tori Too! Club Belle Tori Book 2 by Michelle Hoppe
"May the saints protect me from idiots and fools, both of which apply to you at the moment," she spat the words at him.
Desire Unleashed, Desire Book 1 by Layne Macadam
Desire Unleashed
"Sorry for what Shane?" She snapped. "Sorry for swearing at me? Sorry for thinking I'd slept with someone else while you were away, or sorry for being a prize jerk?"
Claimed By Love, Wild Hunters Book 1 by Skye Jones
"You're not pathetic. You left everything behind and came somewhere you didn't know anyone, and you did so partly to protect your family. And instead of giving in, you made a new life for yourself, far away from loved ones and while still healing from something terrible. That takes strength. It's not the absence of fear that makes us strong, it's coping with the fear. You did cope with it and you survived. You're a survivor, Kayley."
(The words Luke says that made me fall head over heels are when he comforts the novels heroine, Kayley, after she says she feels like a failure for running away after a violent attack. Him saying this is so important to Kayley. It helps her see things from a new perspective and it was the moment I truly fell for Luke as a hero.)
Cross My Heart, Heart Falls Heroes Book 1 by K.D. Friedrich
"I hate myself. Hate my weakness when it comes to you. Hate how much I want you. How much I still want you. I have no right to feel this way, yet I can't stop this need. Every time I see you … every time I fucking think about you, all I want is to knock you beneath me and bury myself inside you."
(One of my favorite line's that made me ache to wrap my arm's around Pete Cross in Cross My Heart)
A Gentleman's Folly by Daisy Banks
A Gentleman's Folly
"Brass ring indeed, Charles Henry Leverret. I'll turn you into a man of some merit before I'm done with you."
What the Duke Wants, Agents of Change Book 1 by Amy Quinton
(I struggled to find the perfect line/s for my quote. My main character/hero did many things that disgusted me and made me wonder if I was actually going to be able to redeem him in the end. I certainly wished to toss him out many times. In fact, his best friend, Cliff, was interested in my heroine and quite tempting to her. Especially as Cliff is such a charming and likeable character.  Cliff nearly steals the show. In this quoted scene, my heroine, Grace, has just witnessed the hero, Stonebridge (the duke) announce his engagement to another woman (at a ball) the day after they finally slept together!  Needless to say, she is devastated. He spies her leaving the ballroom and races after her. He catches up to her as she's about to exit the ball via a garden gate. The entire chapter is gut-wrenching after everything my hero does and says to fight his attraction to Grace because he feels he needs to do what he's supposed to do - not what he wants... The first sentence is the duke speaking and is written from his POV.)
"How did you think this was going to end, Grace? With a ring on your finger and a wedding at St. George's?"
She squared her shoulders and stood up to his cruel words. God, she was beautiful. A goddess. A light in his world of darkness.
"Contrary to what you might think, Your Grace, I had no expectations of how this would end, at all. However, I was under the mistaken impression that you were not a coward. You, with all your power and privilege, could have anything you want. At the very least, you could have found a way to speak to me today. After last night, yes, I admit, I had thought there might be a possibility. . ." She stopped and shook her head. She laughed to herself, a self-deprecating laugh he hated to hear at the moment. She said something else instead. "I had thought you were a real man." She looked him up and down. "I see I was mistaken."
Then, she turned to leave.
Cliff stood behind her, and he was beyond furious. He gave her a brief, reassuring smile, though, before confronting him. "Name your seconds. . ."
Not For Me, Toronto Book 1 by Laura Jardine
Not For Me
"It's not a job interview."
"No, it's worse. A totally unfamiliar social situation."
Midnight Caller, Moonlight Romance Book 1 by Haley Whitehall
"I am here to service you, my lady. Not myself."
Going Under, Secret Blood Book 3 by Emma Weylin
"I love you too much to stay." ~Tiberius
Ruled By the Moon, Nocturne Book 1 by Naomi Bellina
Damn she looked fine, a smudge of paint on her face and in her hair, still breathing hard from their kiss.
(One of my favorite lines. I had a hard time choosing!)
Nightwalker, A Leah Wolfe SINS Novel Book 1 by Rhonda L. Print
(My favorite line from one of my characters? So glad you asked as it popped right into my head. It's from my debut novel, Nightwalker: A Leah Wolfe SINS Novel and it's spoken by Leah Wolfe to her ex-fiancé when he told her that the affair he had was an accident.)
"An accident?" I asked incredulously. "A fucking accident. You just happened to have a hard on and 'accidentally' fell into her. Is that what you're going to stand there and tell me? Fuck you. Fuck this."
Love Me Not
Love Me Not by Villette Snowe
The kiss was light, and then I paused. "Stop me," I said, "if I hurt you."
Explosive Combination by KaLyn Cooper
Harper grabbed his arm and flipped him onto the bed face down, arms locked behind his back, a steak knife to his throat. His legs were splayed, and her knee nudged his crotch.
"Harper," he choked out, "I'm CIA. I'm one of the good guys."
The Diner by Michelle Hoppe
"I never realized a man could kiss, unbutton a shirt, and unhook a bra, all in fifteen seconds."
Isabel's Awakening, Love and Music Book 1 by T.D. Hassett
"That was very naughty, Isabel. You were told to stay still and not to let go of the bedclothes." He punctuated the last word with a swift slap to her right ass cheek. She felt the quick sting and jerked down into the bed. He rubbed the sting away with his warm palm. "Now stay still this time," he ordered.

Liquid Silver Books Social Media


  1. Wow, so many great lines from a myriad of authors and books! Makes my to-be-read list even longer. How will I ever choose?

  2. I agree! Off to Goodreads now....~Tami

  3. You can read Dominick's line from my contemporary werewolf romance, Wild Side, above. Want to see the rest of the scene? Here's an excerpt:

    “Don’t look so wary,” he said. “I won’t bite again. Unless you beg me to.”

    “Very funny.” I kept my tone tart, but I barely stopped myself from smiling.

    “In my defense, you have a mouthwatering ass. I couldn’t resist when it was right there in front of me.”

    “You’re not helping your case,” I told him, though I was pleased by the compliment.

    I liked the idea of being irresistible to him.

    With his eyes locked on mine, he leaned forward and slid his palm down the back of my calf. He set my heel on his thigh and slipped off my shoe so he could massage my bare foot.

    “So tense,” he said. “You know, they say if you apply pressure to a certain spot of the sole, you can stimulate every nerve in the body.”

    I sucked in a short breath and held it. I think he had found that spot. As he kneaded my arch, I realized it was no longer the only area that felt his touch. Phantom fingers seemed to work their way across more intimate nerves. I sank lower in my chair and allowed my other foot to slide next to his.

    “There’s something I need to tell you,” he said, “and I want you to keep an open mind.”

    “Mmm-hmm.” I was too relaxed to do more than murmur agreement.

    He kept up the massage. “You’re not the same anymore. You’re one of us now. A werewolf.”

    “Uh-huh. A werew—” I tensed. “What?”

    Wild Side Buy Link:

    Author Website:

  4. Good thing Christmas is coming. And we've all been very good and will have lots of eBooks from Santa, right? :-)

    1. I need more paper, Naomi. My list to Santa is going to take a very strong fed-ex hunk to deliver it on time.

    2. Strong Fed-Ex hunk...yes, Christmas is starting to look better already.

  5. I'm off to work but wanted to share a hot excerpt to warm us up. Thanks for reading!

    Now that they were on stable ground, Dylan knew he should leave. Morgan was tired and had work to do and the scent of cat was making him uneasy.

    “Let me help you paint. Do you have an extra brush and roller?”

    “Oh, you don’t have to.” For the first time since he’d met her, she sounded weary, not cheerful and upbeat, and Dylan realized the dark circles under her eyes were probably not her usual look.

    “I know I don’t have to, it’s for purely selfish reasons. The sooner you’re done, the sooner you’ll be back in my store shopping. Besides, any excuse not to do that damn paperwork is welcome.”

    “Normally, I’d say no. I hardly know you and don’t want to take advantage of a stranger. But honestly, I’ll be so happy to get this painting done … let me bring you a pan and roller. You can work out here in the lobby. The smell won’t be so bad. Prop open the front door, if you like, let some air in.”

    Dylan set to work, and an hour and a half later the walls of the front room were done and Morgan declared it quitting time.

    “All I have left to do is one more room and a bit of trim. I can knock that out tomorrow and it
    will be done. You are one fast painter,” she said, strolling around the room and checking the walls. “Good, too. And look at you, not a drop on your clothes. I’m covered with it!”

    “I’ve had a lot of practice.” He smiled, happy to see that light back in her eyes.

    “I can’t thank you enough. Listen, I don’t have my kitchen set up yet, but the table is in and
    I know the number for pizza delivery by heart. Can I buy you dinner at my place?”

    Every fiber in his being wanted to spend more time with Morgan, but common sense told him to walk away. She closed the front door and as she picked up brushes and buckets, her scent once again filled his nostrils and he had to clamp his teeth to keep from moaning out loud. The sight of her bent over, her ass up in the air, was like an invitation to heaven. A low growl escaped before he could stop it.

    “What? Did you say something?” she asked, turning to face him.

    He took a step closer to her and put his hands on her cheeks. Her eyes widened and she caught her breath. Knowing it was a bad idea, knowing he’d just invited trouble into his life, he kissed her anyway. She stood frozen then her lips parted. He turned his head to get a better angle and deepen the kiss. Another growl threatened, but he pushed it back. He ran his hands from her face, down her neck, and felt her pulse, beating strong under his fingers.
    Her tongue lightly touched his lips. His cock, hard at her first scent, now strained against his jeans. Desire ran through his body, overriding all other thoughts.

    Abruptly, he pulled his head back. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to do that.” He turned, grabbed his keys from the counter, and walked to the door.

    “What the hell? You kiss me like that and now you’re going to leave? What’s your problem?”

    Naomi Bellina
    Provocative tales of love, lust, passion and magic

    Buy Links for Ruled by the Moon:
    Liquid Silver Books:
    Barnes and Noble:
    Google Play:
    All Romance:

  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

  7. Have you ever imagined what a romance novel would be like in picture form? Check out my story boards for The Shore Thing and Shore Feels Rights, Books 1 and 2 of the Gulf Shore series, at

    1. I love story boards, Annette. Thanks for sharing these.

    2. Forgive my typo: That's Shore Feels Right

  8. Here's one of my favorite lines from Shore Feels Right, Gulf Shore Book 2:
    “Forget Miss Congeniality, I was Miss Behavior.” – Monica Sims

    With this statement, Monica (the "villain" of The Shore Thing) acknowledges her mean girl past with a touch of self-deprecating humor. Monica spends months trying to redeem herself and willingly admits the many mistakes of her past. But over the course of Shore Feels Right, she also gets tired of having her sins thrown in her face. How much groveling will she have to do to truly atone? And can the man who loves her trust that she's really changed?
    For other buy links, see

    And for those of you who like to hold a paper book in your hands, The Shore Thing is available in paperback:

  9. And here's a favorite line from The Shore Thing. This take place in the first chapter, when Dani Davidson is narrating a shark presentation at Gulf Shore Aquarium and she "meets" staff photographer and videographer Evan Sanders, who is scuba diving with nurse sharks Fred and Barney.

    “Nurse sharks usually aren’t aggressive and are tolerant of people. Unless, of course, someone is careless enough to step on the shark or foolish enough to pull its tail. Our diver is anything but an inattentive imbecile.” -- Danielle "Dani" Davidson

  10. This is one of my favorite lines from my current book, even though it's from the villainess:

    “Yeah, it’s not as if Hell has cell phone service,” she groused.

    Said by Sheila in “The Ruby Key” second part of the Crystal Keys series – the female villain we all love to hate.


    1. Oh I think Hell might have cell phone service. I think that's where mine originates, sometimes. Great line!

  11. And this passage is from "Finders Keepers" - a short, sweet paranormal:

    “I can find what you’ve lost.”
    Dean White glared at the business card lying on his grandmother’s coffee table. He’d seen far too many similar cards. Hell, he carried one of his own, but “White Knight Investigations” was backed by a legitimate business. Cards like this—printed on cheap computer stock with a plain font and rough edges showing where it had been torn from a sheet—were used by charlatans and con artists out for a quick buck, preying on the desperate and gullible. There wasn’t even a phone number, just a generic e-mail address.
    “Grams, what the hell is this here for?” He pointed at the offending piece as if it were poison.
    His grandmother settled into her chair like a queen settling on her throne and raised an eyebrow at him. “Such language, Dean. Please.”

    Vicky Burkholder

  12. Choosing a favorite line was hard! Here's one of my faves from The Hunt for Snow. Snow just had a show down with Naomi, and she's having to deal with the Huntsman right after.

    “I think Naomi meant to take her flying monkeys back with her, so shoo.” I made a gesture with my hands at him.

    1. Love flying monkey references. The monkeys in The Wizard of Oz used to scare the stuffing out of me.

  13. It was so hard to pick just one! Here are a couple more of my favorite lines from Tyburn:

    “You’re wearing my brother’s coat. I thought he’d shrunk a foot and went wandering the docks. You can understand my concern.” - Mark

    “You poor dear! Imagine having to wear Mark’s trousers! He’s a lovely lad, but I wouldn’t wish that fate on anyone. God only knows who’s been in them!” - Maggie

    “Lucky girl. Not a girl in five miles wouldn’t stab herself in the back to get our Nick to look at it.” - Maggie

    “Are you lads coming or am I going to have to commit murder by myself?” - Sally

  14. Just wanted to take the opportunity to give a shout out to the Art Department for all these wonderfully, sexy covers!

    And, now, a little context for my favorite line from Aaron's Will, Legacies Book 1:

    Hearing his old nickname for her made her heart skip a beat. She moistened her suddenly dry lips with a sweep of her tongue. Dylan’s gaze honed in on her mouth. The air between them electrically charged.

    She stood up, giving Dylan no time to adjust. Deliberately, she pressed into him, watching with fascination as his pupils dilated until there was merely a thin band of blue around the black centers.

    Then his hands were around her upper arms, his fingers biting into her flesh. Morgan gasped at the sharp pressure and looked into Dylan’s face.

    “Don’t!” he ground out, giving her a small shake.

    “I don’t think I can do this.”

    “Yes you can. You’ve been doing it. This was a moment of weakness. It’s fine. I understand.”

    “No, Dylan,” she insisted pressing her palms flat against the firmness of his chest. “You don’t understand anything. I’m trying to do this impossible thing because you said you need it to be this way.” Morgan felt a crack in her carefully constructed façade, her voice becoming louder and more unsteady with every word. “But if you understood you would know…I’m going insane with wanting you. I want you when I wake up, when I go to bed and every horrible minute in between. I want you when you’re here and when you’re not, when I’m in meetings with the board, when I’m at home eating my dinner. And I’m afraid, Dylan. I’m truly afraid I’m starting to hate you for making me deny it.”

    There was a sharp intake of breath, as if her confession had caused him physical pain. Without a word, Dylan set her to the side then released her. He bent forward, tidying up the papers he had arranged on her desk before closing his briefcase and taking it in hand. When he straightened and sidestepped around her Morgan realized he meant to leave.

    “Wait. Wait! You’re leaving? ‘Help me, Morgan.’ That’s what you asked of me. Well, I’m trying but I need your help now. I can’t stop wanting you. Do you hear me, Dylan Drumlin? I can’t stop.” Past caring, she shouted at his retreating back, “What are you going to do about it?”

    To her relief, he paused at the door, his fingers curled around the handle. Without turning to face her, he spoke.

    “Absolutely nothing.”

    DawnMarie Richards ... cultivating a sexy mind.

  15. A KNOWLEDGEABLE LADY UNDERSTANDS that, typically, the best way to make a good first impression is not to fall bottom first into a puddle of mud. Alas, Grace Radclyffe, with her inclination towards unfortunate mishaps, found this knowledge to be generally useless in the reality of her everyday life.

    -Miss Grace Radclyffe upon "meeting" the Duke of Stonebridge for the first time.

    What the Duke Wants
    Agents of Change: Book 1
    January 2015

    1. I left a comment on your book info page. This looks wonderful! I write scifi and contemporary, but I dearly love historicals.

  16. Does anyone else keep getting *distracted* by the Hunk du Jour widget on the right? Phew... :)

    1. hmmm, what? sorry i'm distracted, what was your questions again? ~smiles~

  17. Ah, you found the Hunk du Jour! Isn't he awesome.Come back every day. It changes. ^_^
    Was out Christmas shopping today and just getting back. Wow you've all been busy bees over here! Look at all the cool excerpts and comments! Love LSB authors! You guys rock the blog.

    1. Yep, hunk found!! ~smiles~.

    2. Hunk located and duly noted. Leave it to bunch of romance writers to ferret that out. :)

  18. Excerpt from The Secret Ingredient
    Nate reached behind him for the doorknob. “I guess skinny-dipping really is out of the question.”
    Warmth filled her, and June forced herself to stop looking at the material of his shirt and meet his eyes. “I don’t think you want pond water on those cuts. Who knows what sort of infections you might get. No swinging statues either.”
    She heard a click.
    “What was that?”
    “I locked the door.”
    “Why—” June stopped speaking, because Nate was easing her back toward the wall, arms on either side of her as he stared down at her, a slight line between his eye brows. The tile against her back was a cool contrast to the warmth from his close body.
    “I still want to play a game with you.”
    “Red light, green light?”
    “No room in here for that one. I took all the empties to the recycling, so I don’t have a bottle to spin.” His voice had gone lower and softer, and the negative emotions roiling in her mind were dissolving into a gooey mass of uncertainty. Did he just imply he wanted to kiss her?
    “I don’t know what game would work in a small bathroom.” As soon as she said it, she thought of airplane bathrooms and the mythical Mile High Club, and she knew she was blushing. They could certainly play that game in here. Nate was strong and coordinated enough to pull it off, and judging by all the blood rushing around in her body, she was up for it too.
    “Truth or Dare would work.”
    June’s breathing went shallow as she fought the urge to bite her lip and blink her eyelashes. She didn’t want to come across as unsophisticated or ready to back down. “Are you going first?”
    A small grin worked across his lips as he studied her. He raised his hand and touched her neck. “Why aren’t you wearing one of your little animals?”
    “Is that the question? Right. I was moving boxes, and I didn’t want to risk losing one. Getting it caught on something or falling off in transit. They’re old.” To her ears, she sounded breathless.
    “Are you moving?”
    “Isn’t it my turn?” June wanted to take some control of this situation. She was locked in a snug bathroom with a sexually attractive man who was sweet to her, and she’d already had her fingers in his hair. Anything could happen and the thought made her nervous. At least he’d stopped touching her neck, and she could concentrate. Sort of.
    “Go ahead. I want you to dare me.”
    “A dare, huh? Are you afraid I’ll ask a question you don’t want to answer?”
    “No, I’m not afraid of any questions. My turn again.” He grinned with triumph at her squeak of consternation. She needed to pay better attention to sentence structure, or maybe she wasn’t remembering how to play this game correctly. The last time had been years ago, and her adversaries had been childhood peers on the playground.
    “Truth or dare, Jonesy? Which is it going to be?”
    “Scaredy-cat.” Somehow his arms were on either side of her shoulders, and the rest of his body had gotten so close to hers she wouldn’t be able to move an inch without touching some part of him. If she took too deep a breath, her breasts would press against his chest. Which might not be a bad idea. “Do you want to kiss me?”
    Stunned to silence, June gaped, her mind as blank as a freshly wiped whiteboard. All she could do was stare at his mouth.
    “No answer. Then I get to dare you.” Nate narrowed his eyes. “Kiss me.”
    “No fair,” June whispered, everything in her body tingling with a strange mixture of anticipation and uncertainty.
    “Someone’s got to win; someone’s got to lose,” Nate whispered back as he slid his fingertips along her cheek. June wondered if he could hear her heart hammering loud enough to echo in this small space. “It’s not fair at all.”
    Somehow she was leaning his way; something in his soft voice lured her and with a mental throwing-in of the towel, she relented. It was a game. It didn’t mean anything—

  19. And an excerpt from First Choice, Second Chance

    She shook her head and brushed a grass seed head against the palm of her hand. “Hardly. How old do you think I am?”
    Paul closed his lips and shook his head theatrically. He wasn’t responding to that one.
    “I’m thirty-three. Very mature and well-aged. Like wine and cheese.” With tilt of her chin, she reached out and tapped at his arm like she’d scored a point. She was older than he’d guessed but still too young. If she thought thirty-three was mature, he’d have to classify himself as utterly decrepit. He had books in his library older than her.
    “How old did you think I was?”
    “A gentleman never speculates.”
    Some of the teasing light left her eyes, replaced by something more speculative. Just as Emily opened her mouth to reply, she flinched back when one of the famished finches dove past her head twittering.
    “It’s all right. They’re hungry, and we’re too close to their feeder for comfort.”
    Emily moved back toward the house and edged to him. She sighed and looked around the backyard. The end of season crickets chirped loudly in the long grass. “This is so peaceful. I’m nearly relaxed now.”
    “What’s holding you back?”
    “Basically everything in my life. I feel like I never accomplish much because my to-do list is always longer by the end of the day. I’m afraid I’m a big disappointment to your sister.” She shrugged, and Paul wanted to give her a hug. That wouldn’t be wrong, would it? Instead of making that big of a gesture, he instead tried a comforting pat on her back. Emily glanced up and leaned his way, bumping her shoulder against him. So, it was simply the most natural thing in the world to slide his arm around her. He felt her breathe, and everything in the garden around them seemed to brighten. He liked her too much.
    “Don’t worry about Shelly. No one has ever lived up to her standards. You seem like you have everything under control.” He strove for a light tone.
    “It’s a front. I’m like the Wizard of Oz. ‘Pay no attention to the woman behind the curtain.’”
    She waved her hands and looked up at him and he swayed, mesmerized by her green eyes. Everything in his body tightened and veered her way.
    Another finch flashed by them, and Emily jumped and grinned. Instead of shifting away, she moved closer and ducked her head. Paul automatically reached up to cup a hand around her hair, and the fine strands tickled along his fingertips and palm. Desire and recklessness burned away his reservations about how appropriate this was. She raised her head, and he leaned her way, telling himself to kiss her cheek but instead finding her lips instead. She was warm and soft and still in his arms, and as soon as he’d made contact he decided to draw away and act like nothing had happened. It was for the best, despite how perfectly she fit him.
    Before he could withdraw, Emily pressed her hand to his shoulder and kissed him back, slanting her lips against his with a gentle pressure. She made a little sound deep in her throat, and his noble idea of keeping this caress platonic flew away, along with the tittering finches circling them.
    It’s been so long was the only thought his heated brain allowed as he tasted Emily. It had been so long since he’d felt this potent rush of hormones, pleasure, and responsiveness to another person. Her mouth curved as she moved in a leisurely ebb and flow against his lips, returning every move he made with one of her own.
    His arms circled around her and she pressed herself against his chest, her breasts moving with every shallow breath she took. He felt the late-fall sunlight beating down on his head but it couldn’t compare to the heat filling him. Her thighs pressed against his. If only he’d thought to bring a blanket out, they could be on it now, surrounded by the flowers and birds. Karen had never wanted—Stop it, don’t think about her now, Paul warned himself, but it was too late.

  20. And finally, something from Future Prospect

    “It just stings a little,” she whispered, and Colan could feel a wisp of her hair brushing his cheek. Something low and warm kindled in him, and he took a breath rather than lean over and press his mouth against her neck which was tantalizingly close.
    “We should get you to medical.”
    “No, I’m sure Deval is busy with all sorts of jump sickness and sprained ankles from the arrivals.” Lia craned her head back to give him a smile as he held on to her. “She’d just tell me to relax and eat something.”
    “You should.”
    “Relax? With all this work to do?” Lia shook her head, and Colan stared at her a beat too long.
    “Here, I need to power this up again. There was a loose lead in the monitoring line. That’s what overloaded.” She pulled her hand gently from his, and he reluctantly let her go. She turned back to the panel, made some adjustments, and powered it up. This time there was no smoke or noise. With a few checks of the display and the congratulations of Tully coming over the datpad, Lia breathed out a relieved sigh and ran her hands over her face. He could see the inflamed lines of the burn, and his stomach clenched.
    “Thank it all.” She looked at him with relief. “What can I do for you?”
    Colan shook his head, still not sure why he’d tracked her down. That wasn’t true, he knew why he’d tracked her down, but that was nothing to share with her, especially when she was busy, distracted, and had a fresh phase rash on her hand. What was he doing here anyway?
    “Every day.” He was trying to be funny, but Lia sobered. He hadn’t meant to imply they would be having lunch together every day. That came across as overbearing, which was the impression he tended to make with most people. Gruff and domineering wasn’t going to work in the classroom and was another reason to decline the offer to finish his emeritus coursework at the Academy and instead continue his work as a planetary surveyor. Making maps of an unexplored planet cut down on the number of people he came in day-to-day contact with tremendously.
    Lia touched her stomach and shook her head. “I guess I’m not very hungry.”
    “When did you eat last?”
    “This morning? But the dining hall will be full of the new arrivals. I don’t want to deal with the noise and confusion right now. Somewhere quiet would be nicer.” She sounded as if she hoped he might have a better suggestion, and he felt a sudden surge of heat, all of it directed toward the woman sprawled in front of him with her hair coming out of its braid and her cheeks flushing as he stared. Damn it all, he was going to mess this up.
    With a little push forward he pressed his lips to hers, slightly off until she shifted her mouth against his and returned pressure. Her hands crept up to grip his arms, and a breathless moment passed as he tasted her. She was warm and sweet, and he wanted her to open her mouth. Lowering his knees to the floor, he reached out to cup her face in his hands, wanting more of her, wanting to anticipate her movements. He felt a soft breath against his lips as she drew back and then returned, softening against him, shifting her body closer. She murmured something, and Colan’s body tightened in response to the throaty sound.
    Another sound intruded. A tiny voice called out Lia’s name in increasingly agitated tones. She tensed as the volume increased, and she finally drew back and glanced at the datpad next to her. Colan tried to not feel thwarted by technology as he stared at her blushed cheeks. Come back here and kiss me some more.

  21. She closed her eyes and concentrated on breathing. Slowly and deeply. In and out. Out and in. She counted to ten. She needed to reign in her runaway mind so she could address the state of affairs at hand. She was not (mental foot stamp) a silly, scatter-brained chit. And that mouth most likely belonged to someone important to Aunt Mary. . .

    -Miss Grace Radclyffe upon being distracted by the duke's sensual mouth (before she knew who he was)

    What the Duke Wants
    Agents of Change, Book 1 * January 2015

  22. Here is another excerpt from MIDNIGHT CALLER (Moonlight Romance, Book 1)

    “You know, Mr. Hawthorne is interested in you.”

    Emma gave a slight nod. Everyone in town knew Mr. Hawthorne was interested in her. Hank had forbidden the telegraph operator to come around her again, but now Hank was gone, would he pursue her?

    “Mr. Hawthorne is a respectable man,” Mrs. Dimshire said.

    A throbbing pain began above Emma’s left eye. Surely, the old lady wouldn’t try to set them up. Out of all the eligible bachelors in town…with his thinning auburn hair and long, homely face, he was as attractive as a gnarled tree. She couldn’t imagine sleeping next to him. Her lungs compressed, making each breath a chore.

    “He isn’t my type,” Emma squeaked out. He was worse than Hank. He would be more than demanding and controlling. He would be jealous and overbearing, maybe even violent.

    She picked up her cup again, hoping the tea would be soothing. It wasn’t. Her hands shook and she set the cup down before she spilled it on the white lace tablecloth.

    Mrs. Dimshire’s wrinkled hand grabbed her wrist tenderly. Emma’s heart punched her ribs. The touch was probably meant to be comforting, but she felt trapped.

    “Do you know how I get through each day without Connor?”

    Emma shook her head.

    “Whenever I feel the need to have a man next to me, I satisfy that need.”

    Emma’s eyes bulged. Had the leading socialite in Louisville just said she shared her bed with a variety of men? But there would have been gossip, surely. No one had said a word.

    Mrs. Dimshire’s eyes were sincere and she spoke as matter-of-factly as if she had just ordered a cut of beef from the butcher.

    “I know you are not ready to remarry.” The older woman’s fingers slipped away from her skin. “But I thought you might like some male company once in a while.”

    A thrill rushed from Emma’s head to her toes. Being with a man, no-strings attached. All the power and freedom she wanted. She could control the affair.

    “Ah, I see the glow in your eyes,” Mrs. Dimshire said. “Yes, it is exciting and invigorating for a woman to take charge. I can tell you where to go. No one will ever find out.” Mrs. Dimshire paused and leaned back in her brown-and-burgundy striped chair. “And I trust you will keep my secret.”

    “Yes, ma’am. Of course.” Going against Mrs. Dimshire would be social suicide.

    “There is one thing though that might dissuade you,” Mrs. Dimshire said and then dabbed her lips with a linen napkin. “The men are colored.”

  23. Here's a longer excerpt from NOT FOR ME, including the lines quoted in the post:

    “So,” she said to Grant. “Now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s get down to business.”

    “How do you plan to check me out? What do you want to know?”

    “Tell me about yourself.”

    “I hate that interview question.” Grant was bouncing his right leg under the table. Presumably, that’s what he did when he was nervous. And he looked so serious—no hint of a smile.

    “It’s not a job interview.”

    “No, it’s worse. A totally unfamiliar social situation.”

    She wasn’t sure whether to laugh. “Yeah, for me too. I promise you, it’s not a habit of mine to pick up strangers in bookstores. Either for myself or for my friends.” He wasn’t making a move to answer her open-ended question, so she said, “What about your family? Tell me about your family.”

    “I have a younger brother. He’s married and has a two-year-old boy. My nephew, whom I was looking after earlier.”

    “Did he like the chameleon book?”

    “He liked eating it.”

  24. I've enjoyed reading the posts.

  25. Thanks for having the LSB crew, rowdy as we are!

    Find suspense and the unusual at


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...