November 18, 2015

Publisher Week Day 4: Thanksgiving Message @LSB_lsbooks #RLFblog #Thanksgiving

Spotlight on Thanksgiving

Years ago, when my oldest daughter was in kindergarten the teacher asked the kids to tell her what they would have for Thanksgiving dinner if they could decide the menu. She then asked them…How do you cook a turkey? The kids all drew a picture and the teacher made a book for the parents with all the answers. I still have the book and it’s a hit at the Thanksgiving table every year.

Enjoy these samples from the children and grandchildren of LSB authors Susan V. Vaughn and Michelle Hoppe:

Noah - Age 8
Thanksgiving Dinner
For Thanksgiving Dinner we are having Turkey, gravy, pop, sprite, pie, cake, rolls, mash potatoes, beans, and pancakes.
This is how you cook a Turkey
You get a wild turkey or buy one. You make sure it’s not gross, that it doesn’t have blood on it if you shot it. Make sure to take out the bones and heart. You put stuff on it if you want, or just baker it. And that’s how you make a turkey, son.

Thanksgiving Dinner
For Thanksgiving dinner I want: steak, potatoes, broccoli, stuffing, and marshmallow ice cream
This is how you cook a Turkey
To cook a turkey, first buy one at the store so you don’t have to deal with the guts and stuff. Rinse it off and stuff it. Squeeze lemon on top and sprinkle with basil. Put it in the oven at 425 for 45 minutes.

Molly - Age 7
Thanksgiving Dinner
For Thanksgiving Dinner we are having ham, mash potatoes, gravy, meatballs, beans, cupcakes, regular cakes, water, milk, pop, pie, and rolls.
This is how you cook a Turkey
You shoot a turkey, grind the bones. You rip off the feathers and put it in the oven. And you have a perfect turkey, but that’s just my opinion.

Thanksgiving Dinner
For Thanksgiving dinner I want turkey, mash potatoes and gravy – that’s all. Nothing else, well for dessert ice cream sundaes, but that’s all.

This is how you cook a Turkey
To cook a turkey, take out the guts and rinse it off. Stuff it. Put it in the over. Set heat to 250, no wait, 350 and cook for 30 minutes.

Ryan - Age 5
Thanksgiving Dinner
For Thanksgiving Dinner we are having muffins with pancakes, and some pie, and some little macaroni’s, and some pop, and little turkeys, and rice beef.

This is how you cook a Turkey
You whack it with a shovel, then pick it up with a shovel, then you throw it into a car, then shovel out all of the blood and hearts, and throw them in the garbage. Then karate chop it with your bare hands, and throw it at a chicken. Then put it in the oven, walk away, get a knife out, and see if it’s done.

Sooo…what do your little ones want for Thanksgiving Dinner? If you have kids or grand-kids – ask them what’s on the menu and how to cook a turkey! Share in the comments below. Remember - don’t edit them; it’s more fun if it’s in their words.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you from all of us!

Liquid Silver Books…Find us at:


  1. Hi all! All of these Thanksgiving recipes make me smile. Noah 8, Molly 7, and Ryan 5 are my three beautiful children. I am proud of their Thanksgiving recipe ideas, even though they are rather dark ;) I swear we don't shot our own Turkeys, although living where we do, we have the opportunity.

    My name is Susan V. Vaughn, I have written a contemporary romance for LSBooks called Swept Away. If you like adventure, romance, laughter and happy endings, then Swept Away is the book for you. Here is a little about me...I turned my passion for reading romances into writing my own unique love stories. I live my life finding laughter in all situations, and I delight in marrying sarcasm with romance to create realistic falling-in-love stories in the unlikeliest of scenarios. I lives on the shores of Lake Huron with my real life knight in shining armor and enjoy watching our three children learn the art of sarcasm and wit. Which, as you all can see from the Thanksgiving posts above, is going quite well :)

  2. Guess I better add a shovel to my list of things to pick up for Thanksgiving!

    Thanks for the laugh and lingering smile as I run around like...well...a turkey with its head cut off getting ready for the holiday.

    Noah, Katelyn, Molly, Bailey, and Ryan, you can plan my Thanksgiving menu any day. I thought the pancakes were an especially nice addition!

  3. Oh, hilarious, especially Ryan and the shovel. Love this kidnapping of a turkey tale.

    It would be great to see your cover and links, Susan. :)

    1. Hi Diane!
      I am glad you enjoyed Ryan's Thanksgiving post. The kidnapping of a turkey tale is hilarious. I will post my cover and info below.

  4. My cover for Swept Away was posted on this site Wednesday under new releases. Here are the links if you are interested in purchasing Swept Away.

    My website has the links to buy Swept Away at amazon, iTunes, Google, Kobo, and barns and
    My LSbooks Swept Away book link is-

    Have a good Turkey Day! Remember your shovel lol :)

  5. They're all awesome, but I especially like Ryan's version. All these years making a turkey without a shovel. What was I thinking?

  6. So delightfully darling funny.
    My son when the age of these children would have agreed with Baily. My boy once explained to a doctor, "I know what turns you into a grown up. If you eat vegetables you get to be a grown up. I'm not eating any."
    I also loved the grinding of the turkey bones in the list and I swear I will never look at a shovel in quite the same light when I am shopping for holiday meat.
    Fabulous stuff.

  7. I love these drawings. To me children are what make the holidays so special. <3

  8. Such wonderful stories and happy memories for a life time!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...